• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drugs "A Factor in runner death"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Firstly this is a tragic event, very sad to hear of a young person dying like this. Secondly the following is in the British press `Miss Squires' boyfriend also told the hearing that she had been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat by an acupuncturist.', apparentely she did not discuss this with her doctor. Okay so I'm not sure whether an acupuncturist is in a position to properly diagnose an irregular heartbeat, but surely if you were told this you'd get it checked out before embarking on a marathon?

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Firstly this is a tragic event, very sad to hear of a young person dying like this. Secondly the following is in the British press `Miss Squires' boyfriend also told the hearing that she had been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat by an acupuncturist.', apparentely she did not discuss this with her doctor. Okay so I'm not sure whether an acupuncturist is in a position to properly diagnose an irregular heartbeat, but surely if you were told this you'd get it checked out before embarking on a marathon?

Agreed, the thing is a lot of people take an acupuncturist as a bro scientist like a chiropractor and not someone to be taken seriously.

In reality everyone knows what the Lub dub is supposed to sound like.

That said if someone like a acupuncturist told me I had an irregular heartbeat Id be worried they were trying to sell me something.

Djave Bikinus

BANNED
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Johnalex13 said:
sometimes I think that The Clinic is pretty smart about doping and not jumping to conclusions...then I read the comments in here and I am blown away by how nieve and quick to jump the gun this section can get.

Jack3d is just a pre-workout supplement. It gives you energy, focus, and a bit of creatine.

This woman used it completely wrong. It could of easily been something similar that wasn't made for this application.

Obviously DMAA is on the WADA banned list...so you shouldn't be using this in any sanctioned event.

But for gym rats just lifting weights...the stuff is great. It isn't a "drug". For heaven's sake..in the US you can buy it in any supplement store.

Well, that depend on what you mean by drug, I guess.

The pure definition of drug is a substance that has a physiological effect on the body, and therefore I suppose this stuff fulfils that criteria.

If you are using the term 'drug' in a more colloquial sense then it's a bit less well defined, in the same sense as some people would not deem alcohol a 'drug' (although it is as much of one as heroin)

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
Agreed, the thing is a lot of people take an acupuncturist as a bro scientist like a chiropractor and not someone to be taken seriously.

In reality everyone knows what the Lub dub is supposed to sound like.

That said if someone like a acupuncturist told me I had an irregular heartbeat Id be worried they were trying to sell me something.

I'd be straight off to get a proper ECG done, of all the organs in the body the heart is the one that if it stops you're in a certain amount of bother. Knew an ex-pro some years ago who had an irregular heart beat or suchlike, he retired got proper medical treatment/advice and went on to record a very successful amateur/semi-pro career.

TRENDING THREADS