• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dubai Tour 2017 discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
carolina said:
Flamin said:
So first Kittel goes whining about a 6-month ban and then he starts acting all tough on twitter? That's hilarious.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcelkittel/status/827142340603179008

Acting tough?

If I got my *** kicked by someone that weights less 15 kg then me, I wouldn't put that all over social media :rolleyes:

It was already all over it before the end of the race. He's basically implying that he could have whooped his *** (as if being heavier means per definition that you're stronger :eek:) but chose not to. Or how else would you interpret this??

He's acting like a child and it makes him look pretty stupid.

He was really mad and asking for a 6 month ban, but then goes to twitter and starts posting jokes about it... How am I supposed to take him seriously?

Re: Re:

carolina said:
Flamin said:
carolina said:
Flamin said:
So first Kittel goes whining about a 6-month ban and then he starts acting all tough on twitter? That's hilarious.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marcelkittel/status/827142340603179008

Acting tough?

If I got my *** kicked by someone that weights less 15 kg then me, I wouldn't put that all over social media :rolleyes:

It was already all over it before the end of the race. He's basically implying that he could have whooped his *** (as if being heavier means per definition that you're stronger :eek:) but chose not to. Or how else would you interpret this??

He's acting like a child and it makes him look pretty stupid.

He was really mad and asking for a 6 month ban, but then goes to twitter and starts posting jokes about it... How am I supposed to take him seriously?

We agree then.

Grivko crossed the line and has been kicked out of the race and that's enough. He agrees he crossed the line and takes responsibility for his deeds.

Kittel is behaving like a baby. Sure he is allowed to be angry, but acting like a teenager doesn't help him here.

Give him a break. If any of you had a big Twitter following I'm sure you'd say something you regret after a frustrating work day. The mean spirited lack of empathy on this forum is really off-putting sometimes.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
andrei-greipel-1436124554-800.jpeg

How can you possibely believe that he's an A-word :confused:
Ain't no procyclist smile that makes me happier than the one of Greipel.

He once punched Wouter Weylandt after a sprint on the back of the head. Just because WW hadn't work with the group and then took the sprint. Called him a "rotten dumbass." He wasn't excluded.

Re:

spiritualride said:
Give him a break. If any of you had a big Twitter following I'm sure you'd say something you regret after a frustrating work day. The mean spirited lack of empathy on this forum is really off-putting sometimes.

Not sure how you conclude he regrets it. Kittel just likes to take cheap shots at 'small fish', we've seen that before.

Re:

spiritualride said:

It's not lack of empathy. I just can't understand the way he is acting.

He was requesting a 6 month ban for another rider. That is very serious. He himself was making the situation look much worse then it actually was. He even refused to accept the apologie from Grivko and Astana. How is this compatible with making jokes on twitter :confused:

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
There is many reason not to like Kittel, but I'd be angry if I got elbowed for no particular reason as well (lets assume that). Kittel seems like a nice guy tho in the interviews and the recent GCN episode where he comes across as pretty down to earth. But you've also got to have some personality when you are a fast man. Many riders I dislike much more like him, thats for sure. Gerrans springs to mind per usual.

Why would you assume that though? "Grivko started elbowing Kittel for no particular reason" sounds like a very unlikely hypothesis to me. I mean, unless you think Grivko is some sort of hyper aggressive psychopath without any self-control, obviously he needs to have some sort of motive for getting angry like that.

I never did a bike ride in wind of 65 km/h with sand everywhere. Don't think this is doable, even if you are a pro. So good decision here.

Just read this...

‏@SophieSmith86

Riders did suggest changing the stage from a road race to time trial up Hatta Dam but it's apparently against UCI regulations. #DubaiTour

Yet another reason why UCI just should be abolished. It would have been a perfect replacement.

Re:

spiritualride said:

If I had a big twitter following I'd think at least twice before tweeting something I might regret later. As for lack of empathy, he's the one who said he doesn't accept Grivko's apology.

Max Rockatansky said:
I never did a bike ride in wind of 65 km/h with sand everywhere. Don't think this is doable, even if you are a pro. So good decision here.

Just read this...

‏@SophieSmith86

Riders did suggest changing the stage from a road race to time trial up Hatta Dam but it's apparently against UCI regulations. #DubaiTour

Yet another reason why UCI just should be abolished. It would have been a perfect replacement.

65kph is pretty much my absolute limit for group riding and that's small groups riding at 30kph, not a big peloton racing. Anything over that and we won't ride as a group. Those kind of wind speeds are rideable but you need more room to account for the crosswinds. The main issue is gusts. At 65kph around here it's fairly common to get gusts approaching 100kph and any loss of concentration can result in a big crash. You can get moved a metre or so across the road no problem. As for doing it with the potential of sandstorms, that's just mental.

I actually agree with that UCI regulation. It changes the nature of the race and is fine if everyone agrees but what do you do if some don't? Once a race course has been set it should be completed as laid out and at most be shortened due to dangerous situations. Allowing people to change the race once it is underway, even if there was unanimous agreement this time, sets a dangerous precedent.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Max Rockatansky said:

Just read this...

‏@SophieSmith86

Wow, the riders actually came up with a good idea that would have been a nice way to save the whole thing and the stupid UCI rules block the whole thing...
Yes, that kind of wind and sand is a bit too much, the riders couldn't see a thing, with such a strong wind the grains of sand can hurt like hell (I've some experience with Firn and apparently sand can be even worse) and breathing would be rather difficult, It's really hard to have a bike race with these kind of conditions, so not racing the stage was probably the right thing to do.

TRENDING THREADS