• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dumb stuff cycling fans say

So I was browsing through Reddit and stumbled upon a post making a Top 10 riders of the 21st century list and my god it's bad.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/1g4gf3z/opinion_top_10_riders_of_the_21st_century/

The list completely leaves out people like Boonen and Bettini, but has Sagan in 2nd place, Cavendish in 4th (with the poster even saying how much he regrets not finding a spot in the top 3 for him) and talks about how Pogacar is probably only in 1st place due to recency bias. Nah man, he's not. It's the kind of post that really reminds me that even though we love to complain about everything around here, the level of knowledge could be a lot worse. In any case I kind of wanted to share this with the forum (cause it's basically the offseason and there's nothing better to do around here) and in the meantime create a thread for this kind of stuff. Want to complain about the dumb sh*t Benji Naesen just wrote on Twitter? This is your place to do it.

So I was browsing through Reddit and stumbled upon a post making a Top 10 riders of the 21st century list and my god it's bad.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/1g4gf3z/opinion_top_10_riders_of_the_21st_century/

The list completely leaves out people like Boonen and Bettini, but has Sagan in 2nd place, Cavendish in 4th (with the poster even saying how much he regrets not finding a spot in the top 3 for him) and talks about how Pogacar is probably only in 1st place due to recency bias. Nah man, he's not. It's the kind of post that really reminds me that even though we love to complain about everything around here, the level of knowledge could be a lot worse. In any case I kind of wanted to share this with the forum (cause it's basically the offseason and there's nothing better to do around here) and in the meantime create a thread for this kind of stuff. Want to complain about the dumb sh*t Benji Naesen just wrote on Twitter? This is your place to do it.
I believe Reddit is more frequented by teenagers/young adults so I believe most of them didn't even see riders like Boonen, Cancellara, Bettini at their top.
If I had to list a top10 riders in this millenium, I would put (I will not count LA due to his doping scandal):
1 - Pogacar
2 - Contador
3 - Froome
4 - Bettini
5 - Nibali
6 - Cancellara
7 - Boonen
8 - Sagan
9 - Valverde
10 - Gilbert
Edit: I have a big passion for Bettini, he represented what cycling means to Italy, all that passion, almost a religion. I miss these old italian riders, good days with Bartoli, Bettini, Di Luca, Cunego, Rebellin, etc

Vos-Foto-OSSOLA-430x244.jpg

AS MODERATOR

The title of this thread is potentially troublesome. Its existence is absolutely not a reason to start accusing posters here of "saying dumb stuff" (whether on this forum or elsewhere).
But this is the emerging rivalry on the internet. The one true rivalry in cycling. A true, perhaps old school battle between Good and Evil. Cyclingnews forum versus /r/peloton.

And as a wise man once said according to historical sources.

NO PRISONERS

NO MERCYYYYYY

*Feel free to take with a mountain of salt and not as actual commentary on moderation duties

I low key have to respect the ability to be this uninformed but still be somewhat self-aware to just blindly cite recency bias to dismiss something.

Having said that, I absolutely think Cavendish is underrated as an overall rider, and that's probably due to the anti sprinter bias.

But this is the emerging rivalry on the internet. The one true rivalry in cycling. A true, perhaps old school battle between Good and Evil. Cyclingnews forum versus /r/peloton.

And as a wise man once said according to historical sources.

NO PRISONERS

NO MERCYYYYYY

*Feel free to take with a mountain of salt and not as actual commentary on moderation duties
I never said you can't accuse people elsewhere of being clueless. But we can't have this as a place to ridicule members of this forum for what they have said elsewhere (or here).

As ever, it is fine to say that the point they are trying to make is rdiculous, but address the argument, don't insult or denigrate the person.

Reactions: Red Rick
As a long time fan of many forms of racing, bike racing included.. Running next to, in front of racers, bringing incendiary devices like fire crackers, sparklers or smoke bombs to a race, wearing clothing and footwear prone for falling or tripping.. waving a monster flag ,tossing water,urine or other liquid to me is far,far more troublesome than anything that a fan can say.
I have been known to yell " work together " " you got this " or the always popular " eye of the tiger" ..usually yelled at riders who are dropped or being destroyed. When I was dropped many, too many mean barbs came my way.. And what was stupid and hurtful to me caused immediate crowd to erupt in laughter.. " the bakery is still open " " you better cut back on cheese " " is that your girlfriend's jersey ? Because it's way tight!!"
So dumb stuff is relative.
I personally find many nasty comments in the clinic and rider threads going after someone for being good or great, like Pogacar to be absolutely whacky . If I started typing hate or jealous comments about people, athletes who have surpassed my objectives.. Yikes.. Tired after minutes.. So many my head would explode.. Starting with baseball players and motorcycle racers..where to start!! I hate you Roger DeCoster and David Bailey!! You are the worst
The talent Valentino Rossi has had for.. Well forever makes me furious!! Makes me say stupid stuff!! 2 pro bicycle racers in my town.. Hate each equally because of how good they are.. That's stupid right?

Reactions: vwpe and scribers
I personally find many nasty comments in the clinic and rider threads going after someone for being good or great, like Pogacar to be absolutely whacky . If I started typing hate or jealous comments about people, athletes who have surpassed my objectives.. Yikes.. Tired after minutes..
Eaxctly my thoughts a bizzare behavior then the same people race after race while openly hate it, dislike what their watching..yet turn on to see over and over just to complain over the same again that is honestly just sad behaviour at one point. Mostly out of jealousy as you say or own emotions which are more weird, i say mostly cause its not everyone, either way yikes indeed.

Reactions: Peyroteo94
I never said you can't accuse people elsewhere of being clueless. But we can't have this as a place to ridicule members of this forum for what they have said elsewhere (or here).

As ever, it is fine to say that the point they are trying to make is rdiculous, but address the argument, don't insult or denigrate the person.

So I can say they post ridiculous stuff but I can't say they post dumb stuff.

Learning the complexity of the codes around here is like learning to conduct oneself in 19th century China...

I low key have to respect the ability to be this uninformed but still be somewhat self-aware to just blindly cite recency bias to dismiss something.

Having said that, I absolutely think Cavendish is underrated as an overall rider, and that's probably due to the anti sprinter bias.
Yeah I think you can actually make a case for Cavendish being this high if you value GT and particularly TdF stage wins extremely highly. Sagan is the one that makes no sense at all and (at least when I went through the comments yesterday) nobody seemed to question his spot.

Don't think the list was that dumb. Disagree with it, yes, but it's not like it's 100% clear who should be in and who not. Sagan and Cav too high up, yep. I'd like to have Gilbert, Bettini and Boonen in.. 3 in, who do I kick, don't know myself... a top 10 will automatically leave some guys that somehow would deserve to be in out.

We've read much dumber things here!

Just a genuine question, are we allowed to denigrate a rider constantly in the forum and not get banned? Bans are only made when we denigrate forum members? Again, just a genuine question.

Don't think the list was that dumb. Disagree with it, yes, but it's not like it's 100% clear who should be in and who not. Sagan and Cav too high up, yep. I'd like to have Gilbert, Bettini and Boonen in.. 3 in, who do I kick, don't know myself... a top 10 will automatically leave some guys that somehow would deserve to be in out.

We've read much dumber things here!
It's a kid list IMHO. Maybe he was too young to see the likes of Bettini, Boonen, etc

Just a genuine question, are we allowed to denigrate a rider constantly in the forum and not get banned? Bans are only made when we denigrate forum members? Again, just a genuine question.
I don't doubt that it is a genuine question.

My preference would be that derogatory nicknames, simple gross rudeness about a rider etc would be removable and merit a warning (and therefore potentially a ban), but when I floated that in discussion in the moderation thread the consensus was against. So I am left to discern whether any post is a genuine expression of opinion and intention to discuss, or whether its intention is simply to disrupt and annoy. In keeping with what I posted here, and the principle of Most Respectful Interpretation here, I tend towards the former.

But let's not make this thread into an offshoot of the moderation forum: I just didn't want people to think this thread title was permission for a free for all at each other.