• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dutch TV's "Fat idiot" Mart Smeets and the Ultimate Lance fairy tale

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
I heard the tyres were "aged" in Julien de vries's wine cellar to make them faster too.

This is a FACT. I saw it on LANCE to FRANCE episode 28,000,000. They took all the tubulars and put them in the cellar that was in Belgium someplace (Julien de Vries’s wine Cellar?).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Yes he did at the SCA trial. Unbelievable stuff from a someone holding the position he does. But that's another issue. I lost about three days of my life a year ago debating Coyle with our good friend A Coggan.

It sucks to run into a better debater, eh? :p

acoggan said:

Edit........I have not the time or energy for another round.
However I do know that you defended a guy to the hilt that made such a statement at the SCA trial. And I also asked how did he quantify this hunger, and if he went round to the other 190 cyclists every ngith and asked them how hungry they were. We went back and forth about MA, times of the year he measured etc etc =, but this statement was farcical.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
acoggan said:

I sapose that depend on what kinda bating ya doing...im sure theres a type of large scale debating you`d give even a testosterone filled spotty teanager a good run for his money at.:D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Yes he did at the SCA trial. Unbelievable stuff from a someone holding the position he does. But that's another issue. I lost about three days of my life a year ago debating Coyle with our good friend A Coggan.

Different Coyle. Dan wrote the book that had the quote, Ed wrote the "Study" that was a fraud.....and Andy believes in fairytales.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
I sapose that depend on what kinda bating ya doing...im sure theres a type of large scale debating you`d give even a testosterone filled spotty teanager a good run for his money at.:D

In this case Andy is claiming to be the best bater.....I guess that makes him the master?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Different Coyle. Dan wrote the book that had the quote, Ed wrote the "Study"

Only partially correct: the quote in Dan Coyle's book is what Ed Coyle said at the SCA trial.

Race Radio said:
.....and Andy believes in fairytales.

??

In what "fairytales" do you think I believe?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Edit........I have not the time or energy for another round.

IOW, you surrender. :D

Digger said:
However I do know that you defended a guy to the hilt that made such a statement at the SCA trial.

No, I defended the process by which Coyle's paper was published, and attempted to convey to you and other non-scientists why not many in the field get their panties in such a bunch about it.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
acoggan said:
In what "fairytales" do you think I believe?

Tell us Andy, at what point does output become questionable? Is 6.7 w/kg for 30 minutes possible clean or should we never question such things and just "Believe in Miracles"?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
acoggan said:
IOW, you surrender. :D
No, I defended the process by which Coyle's paper was published, and attempted to convey to you and other non-scientists why not many in the field get their panties in such a bunch about it.

Well golly Jethro, I be a non-scientists so I must be to stupid to conversate with real smart guys.

Good thing some guys who were are not dumb like us commoners took a look at the Coyle myth.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-and-armstrong-research-errors.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-armstrong-research-installment-2.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-continued.html

Now I better go back to drinking whiskey and shoot rabbits

Race Radio said:
Well golly Jethro, I be a non-scientists so I must be to stupid to conversate with real smart guys.

Good thing some guys who were are not dumb like us commoners took a look at the Coyle myth.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-and-armstrong-research-errors.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-armstrong-research-installment-2.html

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/09/coyle-continued.html

Now I better go back to drinking whiskey and shoot rabbits

It;s funny, I work in education and studied to Masters level and never came across a more patronising person as our esteemed Mr Coggan.
So I want to know what is his opinion on that statement from his mentor.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
This is that he rode faster up a particular climb because his reconnaisance had taught him that this climb had vurtually all left hand bends - so he rode a bike with a shorter left crank to enable him to pedal through the corners without "scraping" - and not one of the other guys had thought of this etc etc

Why are you all haters....? Cant you see brilliance and pure athleticism coupled with the dedication to technological research and testing to win when you see it?

I was there that morning over looking the bikes at the team bus before the stage and when i saw his bike i knew he was going to win. not only was his crank shorter but also his left side chain stay, and fork, and brake pads. Even his left side bar tape was shortened.

;-P

hiccuphell said:
Why are you all haters....? Cant you see brilliance and pure athleticism coupled with the dedication to technological research and testing to win when you see it?

I was there that morning over looking the bikes at the team bus before the stage and when i saw his bike i knew he was going to win. not only was his crank shorter but also his left side chain stay, and fork, and brake pads. Even his left side bar tape was shortened.

;-P

You should have taken a picture - or applied for a patent.

Where have you been hiding? First post, joined Jul 2009?

(answering my question... over where I used to hang out...)

Dave.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Andy, please, PLEASE go back to Kunich and Chang over at rec.bicycles.racing. Throw in a few "dumbass" salutations for me.

Geez, what's Papai gonna do when his hero is vanquished? SF will never be safe if that happens.

Digger said:
It;s funny, I work in education and studied to Masters level and never came across a more patronising person as our esteemed Mr Coggan.

The funny thing is, he isn't smart enough to know that what he is broadcasting is his deep level of insecurity - right out there for the whole world to see.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Tell us Andy, at what point does output become questionable? Is 6.7 w/kg for 30 minutes possible clean or should we never question such things and just "Believe in Miracles"?

Well, that depends on how you define "questionable", now doesn't it?

(Of course, there's also the issue of crudely estimated vs. directly measured power output, but that is a somewhat different question.)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

Knownig Ed as I do, I would say that he was feeling a bit defensive, what with testifying under oath and all. Me, I would have simply said, "I don't know" (since my opinion re. the question would have been irrelevant to my role as an expert witness).