• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars Door Vlaanderen (188.6 km) goes straight through Flanders

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, you just teleported onto your bike?
At least I felt I did, after my more severe MTB crash, 14 days later very early morning with backpack with laptop, clothing for change over my arms. Clearly remember I really don't remember how I went from lying in the bed to getting up on the bike, might've been more or just one long blackout with the spine to take over navigation.

Sounds like you had a complicated anterior break? That would be really nasty!

I've had fractured ribs in the back and side (the side fracture was an MTB fall on a log while going downhill!). Not too miserable other than laughing or coughing. Once it was in the off season and I had a cold though, so the coughing was a continual evil reminder.

Fractures and breaks are actually the same thing. I presume you are thinking of a fracture as a less serious type of break?
Medically speaking you are correct, but most people think of a fracture as a samll, incomplete crack, as opposed to a full on break (ie: green stick vs transverse displaced).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hopefully "fractured" could mean cracked and not displaced badly. Otherwise he's going to have a tougher time even maintaining form when breathing is painful. F*ck...I really wanted a PR rematch; that was one of the greater editions with MvP.

Everyone who is all "Broken ribs are nothing," clearly didn't have the broken ribs I had...and Wout has 7 of them..It.Hurt.To.Wipe.My.A$$.For.Weeks. on top of trying to get out of bed, and showering and hitting a pebble on the road in my car...but the kicker is the sternum...

Your "I could do it!" posts seem very silly.
Sorry you've been through that, too. Never done the sternum but a teammate hit the trifecta with the sternum, two ribs puncturing the right lung and a collarbone. He hardly noted the collarbone after a week what with all the other chaos going on.
He did not race again.

Everyone who is all "Broken ribs are nothing," clearly didn't have the broken ribs I had...and Wout has 7 of them..It.Hurt.To.Wipe.My.A$$.For.Weeks. on top of trying to get out of bed, and showering and hitting a pebble on the road in my car...but the kicker is the sternum...

Your "I could do it!" posts seem very silly.
Indeed those would be silly posts! And it the entirety of the injuries ... Wout is physically just hammered. So many fractures. So much deep bruising and torn skin. The guy is going to be in a world of hurt even with the best pain medications. The only 'bright side' to this for the remainder of the year, if there turns out to be a bright side (still unknown), is there could be a chance to super compensate during a solid recovery where he could get to a high level for the second half of the year.

There are a lot of qualifiers to that aforementioned bright side though. A lot will remain unknown for quite a while. Sh*tty deal

I think Paris-Roubaix is still a step too far for now, he seems to really struggle with keeping up with accelerations and eventually all that solo time pays. Incredible engine though, one of the biggest in the current peloton – possibly even bigger than Ganna's.
He's definitely not explosive at all, but I think it is underestimated a bit how much of a massive effort he had to do to bridge to the group. He said after the race that he was pretty cooked after that.

Jumbo helped themselves a lot immediately attacking the group after the mass crash... they caused. We didn't get to see it on camera, but from the power file of Valgren (800w for 34s at the bottom of the climb) and the face of the guys as soon as we switched to them from the crash, loads of guys were out of position and having to do massive efforts to get back to the front where they were smashing up the climb.

Reactions: Sandisfan
After a crash in a masters cx race, I had to go the emergency room for a suspected broken collar bone. I almost passed out during the x-rays, but didn't say anything. They gave me a sling and sent me on my way with a doctor's appointment. Just when I got home, they called me up to say I needed to come back straightaway, as a second look at the x-rays had also revealed a punctured lung.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: noob and jmdirt
Has there been a further injury report regarding Alex Kirsch? He was one of the riders down first and most heavily.
Answering my own question, he broke his hand:

View: https://twitter.com/RTLlu/status/1773092396294709456

I'm hardly fluent but normally I can decode cycling-related stuff in Dutch and German and I even managed to piece this one together, but took me a while to realize it was neither of those languages but Luxembourgish.

• Sad
Reactions: noob and search
He's definitely not explosive at all, but I think it is underestimated a bit how much of a massive effort he had to do to bridge to the group. He said after the race that he was pretty cooked after that.

Jumbo helped themselves a lot immediately attacking the group after the mass crash... they caused. We didn't get to see it on camera, but from the power file of Valgren (800w for 34s at the bottom of the climb) and the face of the guys as soon as we switched to them from the crash, loads of guys were out of position and having to do massive efforts to get back to the front where they were smashing up the climb.

Yes. on Sporza they added a 30 sec clip of the crash from the motorbike in front of the group. When the clip stops in the front of the bunch it's the EF riders, the Jumbo riders with Kung right behind them. In the clip Milan (who couldn't latch on on Kanarieberg) was a lot further back.

I've got a hard time seeing a path to victory for Küng in any classic from here on.

Today's race served him a chance on the silver platter. Küng had nothing to do, but to lure for his chance to move in the last 30 kilometers. Instead he works too much in front once again and gets caught out twice by Bettiol and Jörgensen because of inattentiveness. In the final he actually sees what Benoot is going to do and still lets him go away. Then, he's in defense, needs to shut down the move and subsequently gets counter attacked by Jörgensen.

This just can't happen to him. If it's Abrahamsen who sneaks away instead, that's cycling. But he can't let himself beaten by Visma like that.

He really should have let Jorgenson close the gap to Benoot, De Bondt and Tarling on the backside of Nokereberg. That would have given Kung a good opportunity to take the initiative once Jorgenson closed the gap.

Indeed those would be silly posts! And it the entirety of the injuries ... Wout is physically just hammered. So many fractures. So much deep bruising and torn skin. The guy is going to be in a world of hurt even with the best pain medications. The only 'bright side' to this for the remainder of the year, if there turns out to be a bright side (still unknown), is there could be a chance to super compensate during a solid recovery where he could get to a high level for the second half of the year.

There are a lot of qualifiers to that aforementioned bright side though. A lot will remain unknown for quite a while. Sh*tty deal
I believe Alaphilippe was in a similar situation afterwards his 2022 crash in lbl, broken ribs and collapsed lung, at least.

• Sad
Reactions: noob