• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Casey

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BotanyBay said:
Just like they can assist the police by keeping track of certain searches like "naked little boys"

When Law Enforcement comes knocking, IT provides logs. It's all very passive.

BotanyBay said:
, they most certainly have some kind of dashboard that lets them interfere or manipulate (if needed). The question is: "Who has the keys to the dashboard?"
Really? Proof please. You are suggesting that from hundreds of visitors a minute, (impossibly low number) they can pick searches like a single needle out of a haystack and alter those search results *with human intervention* in tenths of seconds? Really?

BotanyBay said:
I'm just saying... We have manipulated results,
I'm still trying to get you guys to see that most results are 'manipulated.'

BotanyBay said:
We also have a news item that BOOMED around the internet, and it didn't register in the Google News results.
I'm arguing that Google's news search is designed to suppress it anyway. Think of it like google designing a system that returns contents that you would like find on a local news program. It's not hard to comprehend how a huge, litigation magnet of a story doesn't rank well.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Really? Proof please. You are suggesting that from hundreds of visitors a minute, (impossibly low number) they can pick searches like a single needle out of a haystack and alter those search results *with human intervention* in tenths of seconds? Really?

I know another Silicon Valley "Household name" internet presence. People there have "dashboard access" to be able to measure and analyze VERY specific data points, so I imagine a similar kind of dashboard can (and does) exist to be able to skew delivered search results to suit one's liking. An App that adjusts the algorythym to filter-out or re-rank the results.

They've got control rooms that look like Houston's "Mission Control"

And I'm not talking "Live intervention", I'm talking "Set it and forget it". Enter the website URL you want to "bury" and hit submit.

sam208 said:
Hacking is a topic that is very relevant in the LA investigation & I bet has already come to Novitsky's attention. In a battle over information, it is very helpful to be able to read your enemy's emails. Hacking email & use of keystroke loggers has been mentioned previously as tactics of LA:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/latest-cycling-news-for-november-27-2006

Well, those are some very interesting allegations. Makes WonderBoy sound even worse.

If the Andreu's were running Windows at the time, (likely) there should be no surprises the machines were compromised. None. They are used for lots of automated tasks like sending spam when compromised. The bots can get themselves online because Windows makes so it easy.

Betsy, if you are reading this, I'm happy to give you and Frankie all the technical help you may need to cut through some of the tech mumbo-jumbo. It would be a nice way to give back for all of the other B.S. you both have to put up with.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I think it's way more likely one of Lance's millions of fans works at Google and was surfing the net from the google-owned IP address.

My opinion may not fit reality. I proposed an experiment in another reply to test the phenomena. Give me some feedback on it.

BTW, I'm not avoiding your question. I'm liking this idea. I just don't know how to react to it yet. My initial "gut feel" is that his blog became noticed when he wrote about Contador being left behind in the hotel by the team on the day of the big TT in 2009. He wrote some very stinging commentary that was not really common knowledge in the media. To compare that kind of blogging to "Hey, did you see the SI article last week?" is going to be apples and oranges.

I'd really like to see Sports Illustrated do an analysis of % of Google referrals on this story versus some others that were in the same league (as far as traffic). I'll bet that a very solid (and predictable) distribution curve exists in most of their stories. And I hypothesize that this situation breaks the curve.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Betsy, if you are reading this, I'm happy to give you and Frankie all the technical help you may need to cut through some of the tech mumbo-jumbo. It would be a nice way to give back for all of the other B.S. you both have to put up with.

DangerWillRobinson.jpg

BotanyBay said:
I know another Silicon Valley "Household name" internet presence. People there have "dashboard access" to be able to measure and analyze VERY specific data points, so I imagine a similar kind of dashboard can (and does) exist to be able to skew delivered search results to suit one's liking. An App that adjusts the algorythym to filter-out or re-rank the results.

They've got control rooms that look like Houston's "Mission Control"

And I'm not talking "Live intervention", I'm talking "Set it and forget it". Enter the website URL you want to "bury" and hit submit.

Sigh. I know dashboards. Execs ***love*** dashboards. If you ever had to use one, and were any good at all at your job, then you would know the frustrations. You just don't understand the complexity of the whole altering search results scenario you laid out.

Maybe a different way to get at my perspective, I can't watch Bones. Their computer modeling/computer cracking scenes just make my head explode. I can imagine all the little steps. I can't DO them, but I can imagine all the little steps. Same idea here. You are laying out another television computing scene from NCIS, or Bones, or....

BotanyBay said:
BTW, I'm not avoiding your question. I'm liking this idea. I just don't know how to react to it yet. My initial "gut feel" is that his blog became noticed when he wrote about Contador being left behind in the hotel by the team on the day of the big TT in 2009. He wrote some very stinging commentary that was not really common knowledge in the media. To compare that kind of blogging to "Hey, did you see the SI article last week?" is going to be apples and oranges.

I'd really like to see Sports Illustrated do an analysis of % of Google referrals on this story versus some others that were in the same league (as far as traffic). I'll bet that a very solid (and predictable) distribution curve exists in most of their stories. And I hypothesize that this situation breaks the curve.

Now we're getting somewhere. Maybe there's a way to discover the data through third parties?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
guys, if (and that's big if) they actually monitored and manipulated search results to mess with a small time blog then they are definitely reading this forum. So you might not want to talk about this publicly.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
guys, if (and that's big if) they actually monitored and manipulated search results to mess with a small time blog then they are definitely reading this forum. So you might not want to talk about this publicly.

I thought about this. If someone (not empowered to do so) DID do so, I know Google well enough to know that they could catch them anyway. Google security is known to be pretty darn good.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
Have any of you guys thought of a career at the National Enquirer? :)

People in this very thread contributed to the SI story (even if not credited). Not everything is accomplished with a lone reporter's shoe leather. They often get help on research and making connections/introductions.

images

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
That is a great video. Dylan says all the doping was invented by the media to sell newspapers....comedy gold.

You have NO idea how happy I am to no longer be working for a Silicon Valley company.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Google have got plenty of manual reviewers. Theyll go through a website if there has been complaints about it and flag it as spammy or automated content etc. Its not going to be too hard to imagine a phone call at this level that says "get rid of this site out of the prominent search rankings"

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
That is a great video. Dylan says all the doping was invented by the media to sell newspapers....comedy gold.

yeah... you know what?

--edited by mod as the ratio of **** compared to language we welcome here pointed the wrong way.

Funny. I started a thread over at weight weenies about the SI article. After 8 pages and quite a few wacked-out responses, the thread was deleted.

There were posters saying it doesn't matter if he doped, the playing field was level, he's still a hero, and all types of other idiotic attempts to stifle the discourse. Then it was taken down.

Armstrong's got quite a few influential fanboys on that site-I wonder if any of them complained.

TRENDING THREADS