• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Casey

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:
So you believe this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcKzzB-eF0 is 'blacklisting' this guy's blog?
Race Radio said:
That is a great video. Dylan says all the doping was invented by the media to sell newspapers....comedy gold.

Yeah, there are a couple of interesting quotes:
(02:40)
I know some of you probably saw one of my former teammates, Floyd, come and speak here earlier this year, or last year.
The clip is dated May 14, 2008, so that would've made the Floyd reference to early 2008 or 2007? I wonder if there is any video of that?

And as RR pointed out, (at 17:00) The very first question raised, is about the widespread perception of drugs and doping being an “everyday part of every race.”

(20:20) “I personally believe that the reason it’s prevalent and it has this ‘perception,’ is because the media has decided to make it a big story...and it sells more newspapers.”

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Nice! I've seen the Johan one. It's creepy just how fawning some of the people are with some of their Lance questions. Now off to watch Floyd...:)
I always liked Johan's and Lance's defense for doping as, 'It's a hard sport, the hardest in the world'.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sanitiser said:

HAHAHA!
Floyd is cool as a cucumber in this one.

July 13, 2007
It’s unfortunate lately that the subject of cycling has been about doping and not much else, because the guys there racing right now deserve more credit than they’re getting. Sooner or later we can get past this subject and back to what’s exciting and beautiful about cycling in the first place.

Patience, Floyd. :D

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Only slightly off topic--or rather the convergence of two--what would Dylan Casey and Prentice Steffen do if brought into the same (court)room? I'm beginning to see alot of strange parallels.

On the topic, having no understanding of algorithms (Liberal Arts diploma holder), and very little about Google stats, I wonder how plausible it is that the results of one's search on the engine are artificially manipulated.

Case in point:
Last week I had a look after the SI story broke and found one of the old and very unflattering stories had been dredged up and was fifth on the list. It was unsettling to see the old propaganda again.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
CowboyTx said:
Google have got plenty of manual reviewers. Theyll go through a website if there has been complaints about it and flag it as spammy or automated content etc. Its not going to be too hard to imagine a phone call at this level that says "get rid of this site out of the prominent search rankings"

Exactly. If Google doesn't have the power to manipulate results when they NEED to be manipulated, I'd not have a very high opinion of their technological prowess.

Part of being successful at a company like Google is learning to make internal connections and learning how to leverage them to help accomplish the objectives in your quarterly goals. I think that even if a guy is a product manager, it is more than entirely possible that he could be friends with someone with access. And if the guy is a sports personality, it's more than possible that he could have well-connected management friends in high places (that also happen to love bikes). The mobile bike repair guy spent time not only at my company, but at Google too.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Who knows? I don't know how things are structured at Google, but I find it hard to believe that one person could manipulate results without anyone knowing.

If someone posted instructions on how to cheaply (and quickly) build a device that could kill thousands of people, and Eric Holder showed up on Google's doorstep asking for a favor, you don't think "one person" couldn't hit a few buttons and make that page vanish from the google search result?

Likewise, the Chinese routinely communicated with Google on what they wanted removed from results (before the big show-down), and Google complied. My company also had a big presence in China and we were able to adjust OUR technology to be "totalitarian regime-friendly". Surely the big brains at Google can figure out how to do this.

My guess is that "someone" is making a few choice results vanish. I have no idea who, but being that Casey works FOR Google, is a known Armstrong "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" defender, I could certainly see this happening. And perhaps a journalist or two will start asking questions about a couple of distinct incidents.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MTDave said:
Just out of curiosity I went to dogpile.com and searched 'Lance Armstrong'.
The SI story was 8th on the list and this
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/4571355/Lance-Armstrong-faces-tough-ride-ex-mechanic
was 10th. I have become increasingly disappointed in Google results for anything.

Naturally, the SI ranking will diminish with time. Other people write articles about him, and the results become less relevant. What people should be concerned with is how that news article's relevance was represented last Wed, Thurs, Friday, etc. PLENTY of people were not only entering "Lance Armstrong" but "Sports Illustrated" as well. And the article still would not appear in the results.

Perhaps Casey can serve as the Google spokesperson on that curious event.

BotanyBay said:
Naturally, the SI ranking will diminish with time. Other people write articles about him, and the results become less relevant. What people should be concerned with is how that news article's relevance was represented last Wed, Thurs, Friday, etc. PLENTY of people were not only entering "Lance Armstrong" but "Sports Illustrated" as well. And the article still would not appear in the results.

Right, so there's a good test. Track search results every 15 minutes for an upcoming Armstrong story that will be generally negative. Kimmage's story perhaps?

One last comment about technical stuff. You need to know what SI's search engine/aggregator policies are like. Some media properties do not welcome search engines, aggregators, social media links. It's crazy old-media thinking, but it is still really happening. That old-media thinking would drive their search ranking way, way down.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
One last comment about technical stuff. You need to know what SI's search engine/aggregator policies are like. Some media properties do not welcome search engines, aggregators, social media links. It's crazy old-media thinking, but it is still really happening. That old-media thinking would drive their search ranking way, way down.

Even with "AOL-Time Warner" (as it used to be called)?

BTW, to any mods or admins out there, BikeZilla (the author of the blog in question) has been trying to get his account approved on here so he can post in his own, current words, but has had little success. Can someone please look into it? screen name "bikezilla".

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
That is a great video. Dylan says all the doping was invented by the media to sell newspapers....comedy gold.

Seriously?

I don't what's crazier, the fact that he said that or the fact that you could actually watch more the 30 seconds of that video. It was much too painful to watch.

I did hear one interesting tidbit: "since Lance was the boss...".

In a legal sense, that offhand comment is probably more salient than many people realize.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
Seriously?

I don't what's crazier, the fact that he said that or the fact that you could actually watch more the 30 seconds of that video. It was much too painful to watch.

In a legal sense, that offhand comment is probably more salient than many people realize.

I like the title of the talk. How many Tour's did Dylan ride? The same number I have.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
131313 said:

I'm not kidding. That find needs to be reported to the US Atty's office. Anyone have a contact # for them?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
He's asking specific questions to see if there's potential for a Trademark dispute. Part of maintaining a Trademark is the appearance of defending it. Sending you a letter is evidence in a court that the Liv3Strong trademark is being maintained.

If I made a t-shirt available for sale on the Interwebs that said DirtStrong, then I'd likely get a letter just like yours. If Team Pharmstrong saw an opportunity to defend their Trademark, they'd take me to Federal court for a Trademark dispute. No shocker there. That's how the system is set up. It's a crazy, wasteful system, but that's a different topic.
Thats the point - the mockup 'Lambstrong' t-shirt was not for sale - it was a joke between two people on a blog in the UK.

Benotti69 said:
that's explains so much about their thinking. i wonder how many interns work for them, lots i imagine

great reply.:D
Here is a foto of the interns (Hey y'all) busy at work.
1586qvq.jpg

6zave1.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, everyone

Hello everyone

This is Tom, from Bikezilla.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for coming in. I really appreciate that you bother to read the site, even those of you who disagree with me.

With so many people interested in the "Lance Armstrong: He's Earned More Than Bad Press" article, I thought it was time to do a brief follow up.

Here's the wordpress link to part 2

http://bikezilla.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/lance-armstrong-hes-earned-more-than-bad-press-part-2/

and here's the blogger link to the same article

http://bikezilla.blogspot.com/2011/01/lance-armstrong-hes-earned-more-than.html

What I find really really interesting is that you guys had on trouble coming across the wordpress site, but the blogger site ALWAYS gets missed and Google owns blogger.

I've also sent emails to Google security and to SI about all this. I expect them to blow me off, but at least they have the information.

Also, thank you all for filling in a lot of details that I never had. Things make a lot more sense to me now.

Regards

Tom / Bikezilla

TRENDING THREADS