• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan van Baarle thread

D4B_3006-976x976-center_top.jpg

DOB: May 21, 1992
Birth Place: Voorburg, The Netherlands
Height: 187 cm
Weight: 78 kg

Van Baarle has really stepped up this year. Not only because he most notably finished 6th in Tour of Flanders, but he also rode well in E3 and Roubaix. I believe his legs in both races were better than the final results. In E3 he was the only one who tried to follow Cancellara when he attacked to bridge across the front group. In Roubiax again he was one of the few who were able to stay with Cancellara and Sagan when they accelerated (he didn't follow them immediately, but managed to join them soon after). It's not impossible he could have finished all 3 of the mentioned races in top10 if he and his team were able to position himself better and avoid being caught at the wrong side of the split few times. 3 top20's in WT cobbled races at the age of 23 are no shame anyway. If I'm not mistaken, he has been the most consistent u-25 rider on cobbles this year.
He is also not bad on hills. Maybe he doesn't have a future top10 in Ardennes in him, but he finished 5th in a hilly Trofeo Pollenca - Port de Andratx against strong opposition last winter. He was also 24th in Alto da Fóia stage in Algarve and 37th in final stage of Paris-Nice. Don't forget he has also Tour of Britain GC win in his palmares.

This man definetely has a big engine and I find a very interesting rider in him. He definetely has the talent to be a consistent top10 rider in cobbled races. I look forward to how will he perform later this year (maybe he will be able to ride a good Eneco?) and next year.

Van Baarle keeps getting better every year and definetely established himself as the best u-25 rider on cobbles ATM. Will be interesting to see if he keeps improving. He was trained individually by Vaughters in 2016, I don't know if that's still the case in 2017.

I'm not sure if Roubaix suits him as well as Flanders but he was strong there last year- being able to follow Cancellara's and Sagan's acceleration.

His contract runs out this year and I'm curious if he wants to stay in his current team. He seems to be doing well but there is Vanmarcke so some issues might arise about leadership etc.

He rode a great race in Flanders. Attacked early, and kept going, and pushing to then end. While they were getting close but not quite to Gilbert, the 12 behind them weren't able to catch them the two working.

Look forward to seeing more this year.

Yeah, I think it was simillar last year. He was clearly climbing slower than some other guys on some climbs mid-race in Flanders only to finish in front of them in the end.

He has a decent finish after a hard race:
- 3rd from 9 men group sprinting for 4th in Flanders 2016
- 4th out of 17 sprintig for 6 th in E3 2017
- 4th our of 20 sprinting for 5th in Dwars Door Vlaanderen 2017
but if he thinks about winning, there's actually a big chance that there will be someone faster than him each time he doesn't go solo. For that reason i think he and Vanmarcke could actually benefit from riding together next year. They both stand little chance in beating all of the other guys in a straight fight as clear team leaders. They'll be harder to cover as co-leaders and one of them might get a win after a tactical race.

I'll bump this thread. It's interesting how consistently he has been climbing this year considering how heavy he is. I wonder if his 78kg weight listed on PCS is up to date. If yes then his climbing is remarkable. It seems this came at a cost, though. He no longer seems to have the same level on cobbles he used to have a couple of years ago. On the other hand, who would have thought he would be taking all of his wins in mountainous terrain. Herald Sun Tour had some good climbs as well.

Re:

Anderis said:
I'll bump this thread. It's interesting how consistently he has been climbing this year considering how heavy he is. I wonder if his 78kg weight listed on PCS is up to date. If yes then his climbing is remarkable. It seems this came at a cost, though. He no longer seems to have the same level on cobbles he used to have a couple of years ago. On the other hand, who would have thought he would be taking all of his wins in mountainous terrain. Herald Sun Tour had some good climbs as well.

If he still weighs 78kg, then he's the new Indurain. :eek:

He doesn't look like he weighs 78. I'd guess it's nearly 10kgs less.

Re:

Anderis said:

I think you have to take in account that he fell in Omloop het Nieuwsblad, still finishing top 20, and then only really rejoining JUST in time for Flanders. And even while just being recovered, he was in the attack and finished top 20.

edit: and no he doesn't weight 78kg anymore. I think more like 70/71

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anderis said:

I think you have to take in account that he fell in Omloop het Nieuwsblad, still finishing top 20, and then only really rejoining JUST in time for Flanders. And even while just being recovered, he was in the attack and finished top 20.

That's basically Thomas/Froome/Dumoulin territory then. The next question is if his power is too.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I think examples like these make for a very compelling argument, for websites that call themselves ProCyclingSTATS, to add a graph, or at least a per season variable, of how much a rider weighs. I mean, it's simply stupid to add the weight of a rider, when it is no longer (near) accurate.

"Hey, this fatso won Paris Roubaix three years ago, and now he's outclimbing guys half his size on Angliru!"

I think the problem is that some teams are reluctant to give out that kind of information. I remember a few years back in the Tour when Froome went mental there were some discussions about his watt/kg and if it seemed too good to be true. Sky released his numbers and listed his weight around 68 or 70 kg or so. There is no way in hell that Froome in absolute top shape in his prime was anywhere near 70 kg.

With Van Baarle it’s difficult to say because he used to be primarily a classics rider who could climb a bit as well so obviously he was a lot heavier then. If I were to guess I’d say he is in low 70’s now but it’s impressive nonetheless.

Re:

Bushman said:
I think the problem is that some teams are reluctant to give out that kind of information. I remember a few years back in the Tour when Froome went mental there were some discussions about his watt/kg and if it seemed too good to be true. Sky released his numbers and listed his weight around 68 or 70 kg or so. There is no way in hell that Froome in absolute top shape in his prime was anywhere near 70 kg.

With Van Baarle it’s difficult to say because he used to be primarily a classics rider who could climb a bit as well so obviously he was a lot heavier then. If I were to guess I’d say he is in low 70’s now but it’s impressive nonetheless.
So Froome would rather have doping insinuations/accusations regarding watts/kilo (if he in reality weighs less) needed for a certain effort, than disclosing his actual weight, which would give adversaries a tactical advantage in estimating what numbers he can push?

Well, somehow that's not surprising i guess.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Bushman said:

So Froome would rather have doping insinuations/accusations regarding watts/kilo (if he in reality weighs less) needed for a certain effort, than disclosing his actual weight, which would give adversaries a tactical advantage in estimating what numbers he can push?

I’m not sure I read your post correctly but the purpose of listing him heavier than he really is seemingly was to make his numbers look less impressive and therefore avoid accusations of cheating, yes.

Bushman said:
Bushman said:

I’m not sure I read your post correctly but the purpose of listing him heavier than he really is seemingly was to make his numbers look less impressive and therefore avoid accusations of cheating, yes.

How on earth is saying you're even heavier than you are, make his efforts look LESS impressive? Because the fatter you are, the better you climb?

Re:

Bushman said:

PCS don't update even when it's known a change of weight, consider that they still have Sagan listed at his 2010-2015 weight despite is a well known thing that he put on weight after 2015 season and Sagan himself has stated multiple times in the last two/three years that is 80 kgs now.

Bushman said:
Bushman said:

How on earth is saying you're even heavier than you are, make his efforts look LESS impressive? Because the fatter you are, the better you climb?

Because it means less watt/kg?

TRENDING THREADS