• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 Saxo Classic 2023, one day classic, March 24

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is there any reason why Pog did not choose the lowest available number? Sounds like a silly conclusion but he might take the race easy and Wellens will be the UAE's leader.

vUB8RIw.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is there any reason why Pog did not choose the lowest available number? Sounds like a silly conclusion but he might take the race easy and Wellens will be the UAE's leader.

vUB8RIw.jpg
I doubt Pog will take the race easy. This is his only warmup race for RvV since he dropped Dwars from his schedule. He'll want to gauge how he goes against MVDP and Wout ahead of the big dance next week. Maybe Wellens will be co-leader? But imo, it shouldn't mean much if Pogacar didn't take the number 1 for his team. We'll see from his pre-race interview as to what are his goals for the race.

If some of the favourites don't fancy it with next weekend in mind, then this is obviously Wellen's weather. And SKA has been in great form to deputise for MVDP. Also Ben Turner started the season brilliantly before crashing in KBK. First race back, but he'll do better than most in these conditions.

Reactions: search
Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that but it’s possibly a very good strategy!
This raises another question, however: will those riders’ hair products be strong enough to keep their helmet-protruding tufts of hair aloft during the expected downpour?
I’m sure the tufts of hair will find some magical way to stay upright, the same magic Pogi uses on some of his solos.

If some of the favourites don't fancy it with next weekend in mind, then this is obviously Wellen's weather.
I was wondering when somebody would bring up that myth again. Wellens' latest win in bad weather was a stage in the Tour de Pologne seven years ago.

Going by bad weather results the favorites should be Mads Pedersen, Trentin and Küng. They sprinted for the world title in Yorkshire, with Wellens eight minutes behind them. Florian Vermeersch could also do well, because he finished second in a wet Roubaix.

Toby, where is the negative start list? I hear you ask.

No worries, it's coming here (reminder: all riders who could potentially have featured in the pointy end of the race but who are absent):

Jan Tratnik
Mick Van Dijke
Tim Van Dijke
Tim Merlier
Casper Pedersen
Mauro Schmid
Bert Van Lerberghe
Jonas Rickaert
Gianni Vermeersch
Taco van der Hoorn
Heinrich Haussler
Jonathan Milan
Andrea Pasqualon
Danny van Poppel
Magnus Cort
Mikkel Honoré
Hugo Hofstetter
Michael Matthews
Edward Theuns
Alexey Lutsenko
Gianni Moscon
Tom Pidcock
Magnus Sheffield
Geraint Thomas (well, he is a previous winner)
Marc Hirschi
Victor Campenaerts
Arnaud De Lie
Andreas Kron
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Dylan Teuns
Mads Würtz Schmidt
Stian Fredheim

Given that he has now removed Dwars from his schedule, I expect Pogačar to go all-in here. However against a stacked Jumbo team, I think that he will also need Van der Poel to go deep in order to break them enough to get a win and I am not sure that is going to happen.

After his second place last year, I will go with Laporte.

TRENDING THREADS