• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Eddie Dunbar is Not a Meme Rider

41381fb6-c745-42b8-abe1-47961400ad75.jpg

I know that this thread already exists, but given his performances at this year's Giro, Eddie deserves a proper thread.
I'll update this post later with more details (as a Corkman, I've been following Eddie's career since he was a domestic rider).

Fun Fact: As an underage/junior rider, Eddie often used to ride 50kms from his home in Banteer to race in a local handicapped league race in Fermoy, start on his own 3/4 mins after a group of top domestic riders, catch all the other groups and win the race, then cycle home.

Last edited:
I was mad when he renewed with ineos when his previous contract expired. He hasn't ridden a GT in 4 years after showing very good promise in his debut Giro (2019). Still a lot of years to develop but not riding a GT for so long is absurd for this kind of talent.
Makes you wonder what other offers he might have had and what Ineos promised him (in regards to which races he'd ride). The initial contact made sense after AquaBlue folded, but it was clear they never favoured him.

He still has two years to achieve the 'Tour de France win by 2025' bet that was offered in 2014.

Riding so well./..He needs that little bit more but he is young and has time to get it. Wasted too many years at INEOS. Probably didn't get paid super salary either (which is one reason riders stay there). Must be a confidence thing as he always had talent but now this Giro will do wonders for his confidence