• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Edvald Boasson Hagen - the future

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
hektoren, you seem to know very much about Edvald!! Please tell more...I am interested in what types of training he does. I have heard all these stories about how he trains, through the harsh winter, etc. In the link above it was cool to see him with the skis!! Does he come from a sporting family? By your last sentence...he seems like a very respectable person...in addition to being a beast on the bike!!

(Loosely translated from an article about Edvald)

Good psyche, good genes, some fish protein and a goldsmith. Here's Edvald's winning recipe!

"Rudsbygd is a small community far north in the borough of Lillehammer. 600 inhabitants." That's how EBH's home is described on Wikipedia.
"A few houses. Edvald and his family lives on the edge of vast stretches of wild forests. There's a school, but no shops. You'd have to go to Follebu or Faaberg for that". That's how a local journalist describes his local community.

Berger, Ruud Hofstad and Boasson. Great pedigree. Check the latest results from the winter Olympics in Vancouver.

How could one of the top athletes in a full-year sport like cycling emanate from here?

- "Of course, it's a challenge when snow covers our community 6 months of the year. Edvald started on MTB and cross-country skiing. He excelled on skis as well, but going as far he has on a bicycle is pretty special. "

- "What kind of athlete has this landscape produced?"
- "Lars Berger, Tora Berger og Tore Ruud Hofstad."

Edvald has left Rudsbygd in favour of Norway's capital, Oslo. In general he's spending somewhere between 1000-1100 hours on training per year. While the average rider in the peloton in GC's goes somewhere between 35-40.000 kilometres per year on his bike, Edvald is at 30.000, but he makes up for the difference by jogging and cross-country skiing.

- "Edvald is a winner"
Gino van Oudenhove is among the select few who knows Boasson Hagen the best. This is how he describes his more esoteric qualities: "His restitution is super-fast, and his VO2Max is among the best there is. It's in his genes. In many ways he's the natural athlete. But I'm more interested in his mentality."

"How's that?"

"Edvald is a winner. He's on his bike to win the race, any race. If you ask Edvald why he's there, he'll answer: "To win". It's even reflected in the way he goes about his job. He's headstrong, dead calm in any situation, and he's gaining more confidence by the minute."
Just how far Edvald's grown at 22 was evident in the ToB last year, where he won 4 of 7 stages.

- "You won't find many riders able to win four stages in a row in the ToB. On the second stage he was beaten by Alexander Kristoff," (another Norwegian rider, and a great sprinter currently employed by BMC). I honestly believe he enjoyed Alexander's win, but he obviously didn't want it to happen again. Then he won four stages in a row. He definitely wanted to send a signal to the other riders", says the Joker Bianchi-sports manager.

Gino van Oudenhove was the Belgian that hooked up EBH with his current personal trainer, Fredrik Mohn, mid-season 2004.

Fredrik and the experts.
Fredrik Mohn is educated as a goldsmith, and has no career as a top athlete or scholarly training in sports on his CV.
Yet, Boasson Hagen is highly dependent on his work.

"It's about communication. Besides, I'm pretty adept at being systematic."
"My athletes write detailed accounts of their training every week. All that info is read, digested, and taken into consideration when going ahead, planning the training program for EBH. Besides, I'm affiliated with a lot of top-notch scientists within the fields of medicine, nutrition, ergo-therapy and physiotherapy", says Fredrik Mohn, a permanent fixture at the olympic seminars for top-athletes.

«Selfmade man» is the expression van Oudenhove, will use to describe Boasson Hagen's personal trainer.

- Fredrik spends a lot of time on training. He's in touch with the right people, and is himself constantly evolving as a trainer." You don't have to be a top qualified and certified trainer to deal with top-athletes. Compassion, empathy, communication on any level and psychology will still play a major part.

The mental side of things is important: Gino van Oudenhove describes his former rider Edvald Boasson Hagen as "a winner".

Edvald's personal trainer showed his tenacity during last year's Giro, when the riddle of Edvald's stomach upset was finally solved.

- "He just won't quit until he's got the solution. Other trainers would more than likely give up, half-way."

Fish-protein and restitution.
Edvald used to have a problem with gels and sports drinks. His stomach just wouldn't agree with them. Mohn and his team of researchers at the University of Bergen found a solution.

- "The solution was fish-protein! Edvald used to get severe diarrhea from over-the-counter sports drinks. Absorbing nutrients is vital to performing optimally. He won't go faster, but he'll go further. When others get tired, Edvald's got another gear.
Fish protein didn't just solve his stomach-upsets, but contributes towards better restitution as well. When other riders are building lactate at a certain wattage, Edvald is washing it out.
You may have noticed that he says: "Today my legs felt really rotten, but along the way, after 150-160 kilometres, they felt OK.
So, he finds a place in the peloton for saving energy and restitution, and when he's done with that he's ready for battle. It's a real boon."

Mohn is also talking about the mental side of things:

- "Edvald never despairs in the face of adversity. He may get nervous and tense, but only to the extent that it triggers a response to prevail. The most important factor is that he's still hungry for that next win. The pleasure of a triumph, any triumph, is still as great. "

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
(Loosely translated from an article about Edvald)

Good psyche, good genes, some fish protein and a goldsmith. Here's Edvald's winning recipe!

"Rudsbygd is a small community far north in the borough of Lillehammer. 600 inhabitants." That's how EBH's home is described on Wikipedia.
"A few houses. Edvald and his family lives on the edge of vast stretches of wild forests. There's a school, but no shops. You'd have to go to Follebu or Faaberg for that". That's how a local journalist describes his local community.

Berger, Ruud Hofstad and Boasson. Great pedigree. Check the latest results from the winter Olympics in Vancouver.

How could one of the top athletes in a full-year sport like cycling emanate from here?

- "Of course, it's a challenge when snow covers our community 6 months of the year. Edvald started on MTB and cross-country skiing. He excelled on skis as well, but going as far he has on a bicycle is pretty special. "

- "What kind of athlete has this landscape produced?"
- "Lars Berger, Tora Berger og Tore Ruud Hofstad."

Edvald has left Rudsbygd in favour of Norway's capital, Oslo. In general he's spending somewhere between 1000-1100 hours on training per year. While the average rider in the peloton in GC's goes somewhere between 35-40.000 kilometres per year on his bike, Edvald is at 30.000, but he makes up for the difference by jogging and cross-country skiing.

- "Edvald is a winner"
Gino van Oudenhove is among the select few who knows Boasson Hagen the best. This is how he describes his more esoteric qualities: "His restitution is super-fast, and his VO2Max is among the best there is. It's in his genes. In many ways he's the natural athlete. But I'm more interested in his mentality."

"How's that?"

"Edvald is a winner. He's on his bike to win the race, any race. If you ask Edvald why he's there, he'll answer: "To win". It's even reflected in the way he goes about his job. He's headstrong, dead calm in any situation, and he's gaining more confidence by the minute."
Just how far Edvald's grown at 22 was evident in the ToB last year, where he won 4 of 7 stages.

- "You won't find many riders able to win four stages in a row in the ToB. On the second stage he was beaten by Alexander Kristoff," (another Norwegian rider, and a great sprinter currently employed by BMC). I honestly believe he enjoyed Alexander's win, but he obviously didn't want it to happen again. Then he won four stages in a row. He definitely wanted to send a signal to the other riders", says the Joker Bianchi-sports manager.

Gino van Oudenhove was the Belgian that hooked up EBH with his current personal trainer, Fredrik Mohn, mid-season 2004.

Fredrik and the experts.
Fredrik Mohn is educated as a goldsmith, and has no career as a top athlete or scholarly training in sports on his CV.
Yet, Boasson Hagen is highly dependent on his work.

"It's about communication. Besides, I'm pretty adept at being systematic."
"My athletes write detailed accounts of their training every week. All that info is read, digested, and taken into consideration when going ahead, planning the training program for EBH. Besides, I'm affiliated with a lot of top-notch scientists within the fields of medicine, nutrition, ergo-therapy and physiotherapy", says Fredrik Mohn, a permanent fixture at the olympic seminars for top-athletes.

«Selfmade man» is the expression van Oudenhove, will use to describe Boasson Hagen's personal trainer.

- Fredrik spends a lot of time on training. He's in touch with the right people, and is himself constantly evolving as a trainer." You don't have to be a top qualified and certified trainer to deal with top-athletes. Compassion, empathy, communication on any level and psychology will still play a major part.

The mental side of things is important: Gino van Oudenhove describes his former rider Edvald Boasson Hagen as "a winner".

Edvald's personal trainer showed his tenacity during last year's Giro, when the riddle of Edvald's stomach upset was finally solved.

- "He just won't quit until he's got the solution. Other trainers would more than likely give up, half-way."

Fish-protein and restitution.
Edvald used to have a problem with gels and sports drinks. His stomach just wouldn't agree with them. Mohn and his team of researchers at the University of Bergen found a solution.

- "The solution was fish-protein! Edvald used to get severe diarrhea from over-the-counter sports drinks. Absorbing nutrients is vital to performing optimally. He won't go faster, but he'll go further. When others get tired, Edvald's got another gear.
Fish protein didn't just solve his stomach-upsets, but contributes towards better restitution as well. When other riders are building lactate at a certain wattage, Edvald is washing it out.
You may have noticed that he says: "Today my legs felt really rotten, but along the way, after 150-160 kilometres, they felt OK.
So, he finds a place in the peloton for saving energy and restitution, and when he's done with that he's ready for battle. It's a real boon."

Mohn is also talking about the mental side of things:

- "Edvald never despairs in the face of adversity. He may get nervous and tense, but only to the extent that it triggers a response to prevail. The most important factor is that he's still hungry for that next win. The pleasure of a triumph, any triumph, is still as great. "

sounds like a load of horst $hit, oh, I mean, fish protein $hit. Where is the cadence or weight loss?

EBH reminds me the following bodies: Indurain, Ullrich, also a bit LL Sanchez.

for me is shaped for the GT too. If we can speculate if Cancellara can win an GT, or Wiggings, then is pretty normal to speculate Boasson can win too.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:

for me is shaped for the GT too. If we can speculate if Cancellara can win an GT, or Wiggings, then is pretty normal to speculate Boasson can win too.

Wigans, one "a", one "g".

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:

Speculating Cancellara can win a GT is a bit over the top don't you think? If he loses some weight he will become less dominant in the tt's and I think would struggle on the climbs.

auscyclefan94 said:
Speculating Cancellara can win a GT is a bit over the top don't you think? If he loses some weight he will become less dominant in the tt's and I think would struggle on the climbs.

Ageed. The weight usually listed for Cancellara is 80Kg which is very heavy for a anyone waning to do a GT. EBH is 76kg which is also heavy.

Indurain was also 80kg but that's not a good measuring stick because I don't know if anyone actually believes that Big Mig was clean.

For either of these to make a genuine effort to go for a GT then I would say that they need to get below at least 72 kg and preferably lower.

I think the reason people are mentioning EBH as a possible GT rider is not because he today is a good enough climber to do it but because he has the physical talent to develope into a better GT rider if he changes his training to specifically go that way.