• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Edvald Boasson Hagen - the future

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, you may perceive the title of this thread as a bit over the top. However, I hope this thread won't be a "he's really, really good, probably the best since canned lager, and definitely THE future of cycling"- kind of thread.
What I'd like to elicit is your carefully considered advice. What are your wishes, your advice for the guy that's definitely the most exciting new kid on the block? Should he specialize? Go for green? Lose some weight and go for GC's? Go for the classics and the odd stage victory in the GT's?
What should Sky do? Is he above Lofkvist? Wiggins? Who're the domestiques here? Your ideal Sky-setup for this year's TdF? Strategies?

I've followed EBH closely since he was 18, and he just doesn't stop amazing me. He's soft-spoken, but his legs scream. He's almost timid, yet put him on a bike in a competitive field and the timidity vanishes like magic. He's kind, but ruthless. Disinterested in the history of cycling, yet making history himself. In many ways, a conundrum.
His rural background, his no-nonsense trainer Fredrik Mohn in Bergen, his apparent lack of ambition and perspective beyond pushing his own limits, his anti-doping stance, his innocence. All of it very endearing for those who are somewhat close to him, but he has still got a lot to learn. When to commit, saving energy for the really important breaks, reading adversaries etc. etc. Factors that's only taught through experience.
Give him time, and EBH will provide the magic that cycling is looking for, post-doping. Feel free to give your advice.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
Ok, you may perceive the title of this thread as a bit over the top. However, I hope this thread won't be a "he's really, really good, probably the best since canned lager, and definitely THE future of cycling"- kind of thread.
What I'd like to elicit is your carefully considered advice. What are your wishes, your advice for the guy that's definitely the most exciting new kid on the block? Should he specialize? Go for green? Lose some weight and go for GC's? Go for the classics and the odd stage victory in the GT's?
What should Sky do? Is he above Lofkvist? Wiggins? Who're the domestiques here? Your ideal Sky-setup for this year's TdF? Strategies?

I've followed EBH closely since he was 18, and he just doesn't stop amazing me. He's soft-spoken, but his legs scream. He's almost timid, yet put him on a bike in a competitive field and the timidity vanishes like magic. He's kind, but ruthless. Disinterested in the history of cycling, yet making history himself. In many ways, a conundrum.
His rural background, his no-nonsense trainer Fredrik Mohn in Bergen, his apparent lack of ambition and perspective beyond pushing his own limits, his anti-doping stance, his innocence. All of it very endearing for those who are somewhat close to him, but he has still got a lot to learn. When to commit, saving energy for the really important breaks, reading adversaries etc. etc. Factors that's only taught through experience.
Give him time, and EBH will provide the magic that cycling is looking for, post-doping. Feel free to give your advice.

just temper the anti-doping line. Bound to be betrayed.

Hagen is about the most talented rider besides Contador in the peloton. I would like to see him keep on dropping one kg a year, and in 5 years ride GC. In the interim, go for green, and attempt to win all the doyennes. Big chance at San Remo. Feel sorry for Hendo, surely he felt he was gonna be the first choice for field sprints.

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
just temper the anti-doping line. Bound to be betrayed.

Hagen is about the most talented rider besides Contador in the peloton. I would like to see him keep on dropping one kg a year, and in 5 years ride GC. In the interim, go for green, and attempt to win all the doyennes. Big chance at San Remo. Feel sorry for Hendo, surely he felt he was gonna be the first choice for field sprints.

How do we get you to drop your cynasism.. :D

As far as the sprint go, there should be a fair split, Hendo will get some races, EbH some, and assumedly Russ will get Ireland and Britain. Dont forget as well Ben Swift and Davide Vigano. But there are more than enough races to go around.

This year for EbH clearly the classics are a big aim, how much is still a learning experience for him we shall see, but hes learning quickly. The Tour again will be good experience for him. I would expect him to get less wins than less year (missing things like Poland and ToB that hes done in previous years) but a developing one.

In the future who knows, he's obviously one of the brightest prospects and has been for several years.

Personally Im much more excited to see how Peter Kennaugh copes this year, he's the "Real" future of cycling. EbH isnt the future anymore.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Personally Im much more excited to see how Peter Kennaugh copes this year, he's the "Real" future of cycling. EbH isnt the future anymore.

You mean, like he's the here and now? I don't disagree, but I see such tremendous potential in EBH, that even the abso-effing-lutely fantastic and Real Deal Peter Kennaugh, two years his junior, will have to persevere for more than a couple of years, showing unrelenting progress, to supercede EBH.
Listen to Nat King Cole, singing "Nature Boy". It was a premonition of EBH, little known fact.......:p

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see him be a classics rider and stage hunter for at least a few years, but that's just my bias shining through because I happen to admire that type of riding the most. I don't see why he cannot challenge for the maillot vert in the near future, given the right parcours. His ability to win stages and finish high in a bunch sprint should pile up the points. Lose weight and go for GC? Well sure, that might be an option, but dammit we need more hard men not twigs.

As for Sky, they stated their intent to put a Briton on top of the TDF podium in what, five years, so they need to back Wiggins. Not that I see Bradley winning le tour, but he's certainly their best bet.

hektoren said:
You mean, like he's the here and now? I don't disagree, but I see such tremendous potential in EBH, that even the abso-effing-lutely fantastic and Real Deal Peter Kennaugh, two years his junior, will have to persevere for more than a couple of years, showing unrelenting progress, to supercede EBH.
Listen to Nat King Cole, singing "Nature Boy". It was a premonition of EBH, little known fact.......:p

Wow. You're either drunk (I know I am), or a Real Fan..I'm excited about hagen as well, but I think a lot of people are doing him more harm than good ("bjørnetjeneste" in english, anyone?) by hyping him as future winner of anything from Milan - San Remo to the TdF. Personally, I'd be more than happy if he wins Flandern or Roubauix even once, and picks up dozens of stage victories and minor races along the way, Het Volk, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, Paris-Tours, etc.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Wow. You're either drunk (I know I am), or a Real Fan..I'm excited about hagen as well, but I think a lot of people are doing him more harm than good ("bjørnetjeneste" in english, anyone?) by hyping him as future winner of anything from Milan - San Remo to the TdF. Personally, I'd be more than happy if he wins Flandern or Roubauix even once, and picks up dozens of stage victories and minor races along the way, Het Volk, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, Paris-Tours, etc.

Oh, I'm a real fan allright, AND a little tipsy, "Bjørnetjeneste means "disservice" btw.
Sure, I'd be happy seeing EBH winning anything and everything from the next weekend's Omloop het Nieuwsblad to the TdF, but that goes right to the centre of my question. Which strategy should he, as well as Sky, follow. Should he be content as a privy domestique to Wiggo in the big races? Scott Sunderland indicated that he'd be protected and ridden for this season. Then Wiggo signed. I just can't see the clear strategy for this season on Sky's behalf.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
Oh, I'm a real fan allright, AND a little tipsy, "Bjørnetjeneste means "disservice" btw.
Sure, I'd be happy seeing EBH winning anything and everything from the next weekend's Omloop het Nieuwsblad to the TdF, but that goes right to the centre of my question. Which strategy should he, as well as Sky, follow. Should he be content as a privy domestique to Wiggo in the big races? Scott Sunderland indicated that he'd be protected and ridden for this season. Then Wiggo signed. I just can't see the clear strategy for this season on Sky's behalf.
Wigans is not a winner, he does not have the tools to win. He will follow wheels for a high position on general classement.

Boasson does not have to work for Wigans, unless he gets in yellow. Boasson will be leader for every race this season, but a free role at the Tour. Other races he gets protection and the team to ride for him. His day of fetching bidons has passed. Skol!

I certainly don't think hagen should be consigned to be a domestique to a third rate GC-rider in the TdF. Then he could just as well have stayed at columbia leading out greipel. Hopefully, he will be the protected rider in the one day-races he'll do this spring, and in the Tdf be given free reign, attacking at will.

blackcat said:
Wigans is not a winner, he does not have the tools to win. He will follow wheels for a high position on general classement.

Boasson does not have to work for Wigans, unless he gets in yellow. Boasson will be leader for every race this season, but a free role at the Tour. Other races he gets protection and the team to ride for him. His day of fetching bidons has passed. Skol!

Skål! .

Credive said:
Eddy over Flecha on the cobbles? Doubt it

Flecha is very strong on the cobbles. But, unfortunately, not much of a sprinter. I suppose, in Paris-Roubaix Flecha and Hagen will be dual leaders, and it'll come down to who's got a better chance in the final kilometers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Flecha is very strong on the cobbles. But, unfortunately, not much of a sprinter. I suppose, in Paris-Roubaix Flecha and Hagen will be dual leaders, and it'll come down to who's got a better chance in the final kilometers.

sky's potential joker is ian stannard. I expect him to feature prominently during the Classics and to bag a couple of 'surprise' top 20's this Spring

Credive said:
Eddy over Flecha on the cobbles? Doubt it

Both of them will be protected riders. Which simply means they won't be the first guys to be used to chase down breaks etc.

We all know how things usually are in the spring classics. Teams aren't really riding only for one guy. There might be a slight pecking order but ultimately it's a matter of having as many guys in the front group as near the end as possible and for that you need lots of strong guys with energy left in the end.

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Boassen Hagen is THE talent in cycling alongside Contador. SKY should stick with Wiggins for GC, as someone has mentioned before it's often the next generation to breakthrough and Wiggins will pave the way for Sky for now, he won't win the Tour De France (I probably accept) but he'll have a good go.

But the main talent on the team is Norwegian and I'm looking forward to seeing how his career develops. He's certainly good enough to win cobbled classics and I'm sure will make the green jersey his own year after year. I'm a big fan of Cav's and he will continue to be the fastest man (It'll be interesting if Chicci get's on his wheel though!), but I think Boassen Hagen will do similar to Hushovd did this year in denying Cavendish the Jersey he wants. Cav has got his work cut out!

If he loses his weight well and in time for a 'non climbers' tour it'd be great to see him give it a go for the GC. I really wish EBH all the best and wish him well for the future, it seems that he has the heart for it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
sky's potential joker is ian stannard. I expect him to feature prominently during the Classics and to bag a couple of 'surprise' top 20's this Spring

thoroughly underwhelming at ISD Danielli and Landbouwkrediet Tonissteiner/Colnago. Was a better chrono rider than G in espoirs. Yet to see he can ride a nthn classics race competently, but no doubt, Brailsford will tweak things.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Squares, completely agree - the exciting thing, for me, is that EBH could be another Kelly and, in a sport that is increasingly dominated by one race, we need an exciting rider to draw focus to the other races in the season and the breadth of the calendar. Wouldn't it be great to hear non fans talking about P-R and RvV in the same way they talk about the Tour? Still not sure Sky is the best fit, though, simply because they are so Tourcentric.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
As for Sky, they stated their intent to put a Briton on top of the TDF podium in what, five years, so they need to back Wiggins. Not that I see Bradley winning le tour, but he's certainly their best bet.

I disagree, i can think of at least one better bet given five years

A

Anonymous

Cerberus said:
Well who? spit it out.

Geraint.

He can race, he can tt, and he can climb.

Give him time, he will be a much much better rider than Brad..

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Geraint.

He can race, he can tt, and he can climb.

Give him time, he will be a much much better rider than Brad..

What are you basing that on? I must admit I don't know him, but looking at his result on Wikipedia they don't exactly scream GC contender. In fact he doesn't seem to have any major results on the road at all unless winning "Smithfield Nocturne" :confused: is somehow enormously prestigious. If he's that good shouldn't he have accomplished something on the road by now? I suppose it's possible that he can make the same transition Wiggins has, but many have tried the same and failed, or at least not succeeded as well as Wiggins.

TRENDING THREADS