• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 123 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GQ26qwLXsAA8DAZ

Reactions: Sandisfan
Great team for stage hunting. Any of Carapaz, Healy, Powless, Bettiol, Costa or Van Den Berg could realistically win a stage. Glad they have abandoned the pipe dream of Carapaz being on the GC podium. I am surprised by the workers they’ve brought along. Would have guessed Doull and Rutsch would have been the picks. Quinn being the US champ probably helps his cause. He’s also a solid enough climber to make it a good ways into a hard race. More surprised by Bissegger. He hasn’t even TTd well recently.

Also who would have guessed that EF team for TDF would have a higher CQ value than the team INEOS sends?

Reactions: Sandisfan
No Uran, no Carthy... some good riders for medium mountains but a bit short on pure climbers to potentially support Carapaz. At least this time they have a sprinter, though I have a hard time imagining Van den Berg winning a stage at this level.

I don't share this cherishing on abandoning GC ambitions. Breakaway stage wins are for losers and Carapaz has been on GT podium 4 times FFS, it's not like he needs a miracle to do something in GC.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
Great team for stage hunting. Any of Carapaz, Healy, Powless, Bettiol, Costa or Van Den Berg could realistically win a stage. Glad they have abandoned the pipe dream of Carapaz being on the GC podium. I am surprised by the workers they’ve brought along. Would have guessed Doull and Rutsch would have been the picks. Quinn being the US champ probably helps his cause. He’s also a solid enough climber to make it a good ways into a hard race. More surprised by Bissegger. He hasn’t even TTd well recently.

Also who would have guessed that EF team for TDF would have a higher CQ value than the team INEOS sends?
I wouldn’t give up on Carapaz for GC just yet. Let him try to stay as close as possible through stage 4 and then take it from there. Plenty of chances for stages later if he’s dropped.

If Carapaz just doesn’t have GC form, due to a crash and an illness, then it isn’t really a big tactical decision to focus on stages. I agree with the people saying that they will have him try to hang on in GC for a while anyway, just in case the form is coming back, but the squad has clearly been picked more on stage hunting ability than for optimum GC support.

It’s a pity for Carapaz because the GC guys who would be expected to be stronger than him are potentially more vulnerable than usual this year.