• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Cannondale Pro Cycling

screaming fist said:
We announced our roster for @LeTour today, and we've got another exciting announcement coming this Thursday. #christmasiscoming
https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/747515668296175616

New co-sponsor? Is it Floyd's weed business? :D

Well, Thursday is the team presentation and Slipstream/Garmin/Cannondale usually change their jersey for the Tour. Maybe they will go with Argyle Pullovers celebrating Christmas?

Holly crap, Cannondale is not the last team to announce their TdF roster this time! :surprised:

This is rather expected but I would rather have Ben King instead of Langeveld. He could be there with the last 40-50 guys in the mountains as he was in 2014 sometimes, whereas Langeveld has been poor this year and there are enough men for flat already. I hope they take a good care of Rolland on the flat, because the team doesn't seem to be capable of anything else, really. Not many stages that would suit Breschel or Navardauskas for reduced sprints.

Too much power has been thrown at other GTs this year and TdF roster doesn't seem to be promising. Hopefully Craddock can ride at least as good as in Pais Vasco.

Craddock is a dark horse for top-10 and the white jersey and Rolland is Rolland, always climbing super come July. Breschel and Navardauskas can't win *** from reduced pelotons, especially Breschel, against the likes of Sagan, Matthews, EBH etc, so they should target a few stages likes 10 and 16 from the break. I can't see them win elsewhere, really.

Anderis said:
Too much power has been thrown at other GTs this year and TdF roster doesn't seem to be promising. Hopefully Craddock can ride at least as good as in Pais Vasco.

It makes perfect sense that they have focused on the other GT's instead of throwing riders at the TDF where the chance of a good result is much more remote.
Curious to see how Craddock hangs on, the GC usually drops away pretty quickly so he's certainly a chance to sneak a good enough result if he rides smart

StryderHells said:
It makes perfect sense that they have focused on the other GT's instead of throwing riders at the TDF where the chance of a good result is much more remote.
I don't disagree, although I have an impression they've gone a bit too far with this. If Woods didn't break his hand during LBL, their 5th best climber for the Giro would have been stronger than their 3rd best climber for TdF, at least on paper.

Anderis said:
StryderHells said:
I don't disagree, although I have an impression they've gone a bit too far with this. If Woods didn't break his hand during LBL, their 5th best climber for the Giro would have been stronger than their 3rd best climber for TdF, at least on paper.
Who is their 3rd best climber, Howes, Slagter, Koren..?

screaming fist said:
Also this:
Cannondale Pro Team ‏@Ride_Argyle 5 Min.Vor 5 Minuten
We announced our roster for @LeTour today, and we've got another exciting announcement coming this Thursday. #christmasiscoming
https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/747515668296175616

New co-sponsor? Is it Floyd's weed business? :D
https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/747904989079666689

Red included? :confused: May be a new co-sponsor actually. I hope so. Budget increase would be welcome. It would be also nice to read that the team's future is secured beyond 2017.

CmMdqndUoAASSKl.jpg

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/drapac-signs-five-year-deal-as-co-title-sponsor-of-cannondale-pro-cycling-team/

Five-year deal! Vaughters' haters who were hoping the team would fold must be unhappy now!

Hopefully they can become more competitive with bigger budget now. I would hope with more funds they can bring a new rider who could lead the team in some flattish races (someone like Coquard or Vanmarcke would be my dream). I don't think there is a place for another stage racer with Uran, Talansky and Rolland all having contracts for 2017.

claude cat said:
Canty will give them a future GC prospect too.
Yeah, but I meant riders who would be expected to be outright leaders. You can always bring some young talents who are not expected to lead the team in the biggest races in their first year at WT level.

There's plenty of good riders in the team already whose contracts expire at the end of this year. Cardoso, Dombrowski, Formolo, Moser, Navardauskas, Woods. I hope they keep most of them, because there's no doubt they'll be approached by other WT teams.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Awesome. I must admit I was starting to get worried the lack of results would end up sinking any sponsorship deal, but this 5-year commitment helps the team develop a good plan for the next few seasons.

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

I wonder if Gavin Mannion will make it to the Cannondale-Drapac too. He was a trainee at the team in 2014 and did good work for Danielson during Tour of Utah. For me it really loked like he was going to join them for 2015 but then the Cannondale merge happened and they needed to honour the contracts of 7 riders from former Italian team.
I've read an interview with Mannion few months ago and IIRC he said he had been close to signing for a WT team for 2015, but then something out of his control happened and he didn't get a contract eventually. It really sounded like he could be referring to Garmin-Cannondale merge.

Also Tom Scully was a trainee at Garmin in the past.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

carolina said:
I find it astonishing that a team like tinkoff can't secure a single sponsor and a crappy team with no results like cannondale can. It's even more amazing considering the fact that sagan and majka have deals until the end of 2017.

That hardly matters, new sponsor, new deals.

Cannondale whatever you think about them have a clean image and won't hurt sponsor in any way. While Tinkoff has some dodgy riders, many sponsors in today's market just wouldnt risk taking over that team.

And let's be fair, Tinkoff budget is vastly bigger compared to Cannondale. No bike manufacturer alone could take over Tinkov team. Tinkovv was loosing money with his team, while for Cannondale they dont spend much, but have effect that people hear their name often and don't have to win much to have their name there, which is all they need when trying to sell bikes.

It's not about risk, it's about money you need to invest. The cost of taking over a team with some big contracts to honour is too big for some. It's not like company can find additional few € millions in their advertising budget only because they think it would give them more publicity. If they don't have money available on their account, they will not get it out of nowhere.

+ they certainly have some people working for them who have a good knowledge about how marketing works. Maybe some people here overestimate the benefits of sponsoring a team that Sagan is riding for?

Beside the fact, negotiations are negotiations and they are done by people. Maybe Oleg just didn't bother to make enough of an effort to secure the future of the team? Drapac appears to be a friend of Vaughters, so that certainly helps.

Re: Re:

Kazistuta said:
claude cat said:
Canty will give them a future GC prospect too.

Based on what? One decent performance in Oman, behind notorious climbing legend George Bennett? :razz:

Do you know much about him? Took up cycling late and has come a long way in a very short time, he's still got a lot to learn and is quite talented, he will make a good climber and will win races but I doubt he will be a big star

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
It's not about risk, it's about money you need to invest. The cost of taking over a team with some big contracts to honour is too big for some. It's not like company can find additional few € millions in their advertising budget only because they think it would give them more publicity. If they don't have money available on their account, they will not get it out of nowhere.
And even if they do have $15 mn lying around for marketing, they'll probably want to spread their bets.

That means that you often need companies willing to invest $10-15 mn in just one aspect of their marketing strategy.

Anderis said:
I wonder if Gavin Mannion will make it to the Cannondale-Drapac too. He was a trainee at the team in 2014 and did good work for Danielson during Tour of Utah. For me it really loked like he was going to join them for 2015 but then the Cannondale merge happened and they needed to honour the contracts of 7 riders from former Italian team.
I've read an interview with Mannion few months ago and IIRC he said he had been close to signing for a WT team for 2015, but then something out of his control happened and he didn't get a contract eventually. It really sounded like he could be referring to Garmin-Cannondale merge.

Also Tom Scully was a trainee at Garmin in the past.

Mannion should get a contract along with Scully and Canty, others in with a shot would be Clarke, Norris, Jones (might stay another season with the devo squad). The others will either move on or stay in with the devo squad

TRENDING THREADS