• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta - He rode a good race for 5th at the Vuelta which was his best GT showing in 2 years - I expect Formolo will be given another chance to ride for GC in 2017 - Could be the Giro or the Vuelta - My guess is Cannondale will stage hunt at the TDF.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta - He rode a good race for 5th at the Vuelta which was his best GT showing in 2 years - I expect Formolo will be given another chance to ride for GC in 2017 - Could be the Giro or the Vuelta - My guess is Cannondale will stage hunt at the TDF.
In an interview with Tuttobici Formolo said that he wants to ride for gc at the Giro.
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2016/10/23/95110/formolo-cannondale-drapac-giro-d-italia
He's also saying that TTs are his biggest weakness, he hasn't found his ideal TT position, compared to a normal ride on his road bike he looses a lot of watts.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
yaco said:
In an interview with Tuttobici Formolo said that he wants to ride for gc at the Giro.
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/2016/10/23/95110/formolo-cannondale-drapac-giro-d-italia
He's also saying that TTs are his biggest weakness, he hasn't found his ideal TT position, compared to a normal ride on his road bike he looses a lot of watts.

Formolo's TT needs lots of work - No surprise he will be given a chance at GC as he is at that stage of his career - Cannondale could have 2 riders for GC at the Giro.

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

What the hell just happened. :eek: Cannondale is one of the first teams to announce their roster for a WT race!

Cannondale-Drapac for the 2017 Tour Down Under:
Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

I wonder who are they going to ride for. Both Woods and Slagter enjoyed a strong form in this race in the past, but maybe someone like Canty will surprise? Will Van Asbroeck try to sprint?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Roku said:
Anderis said:
yaco said:
Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta.
Not going to happen. California and TdF will be Talansky's main targets for 2017.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andrew-talansky-haters-gonna-hate/

Well, with the field that is going to line up at the start he could very well aim for a Top-5. I only see Froome, Quintana, Bardet, Porte and Contador as stronger riders than Andy.
Chaves should also finish ahead of him on such a gt route, but it's his first Tour, so who knows.
Other than that I have to agree, even if the route isn't perfect for someone like him ( ok,the final 2 mountain stages should suit him well, but more km of ITT and less steep climbs in the first half of the gt would be better for him).

Anderis said:
What the hell just happened. :eek: Cannondale is one of the first teams to announce their roster for a WT race!

Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

I wonder who are they going to ride for. Both Woods and Slagter enjoyed a strong form in this race in the past, but maybe someone like Canty will surprise? Will Van Asbroeck try to sprint?

Only 3 teams have yet to announce their roster for the TDU - At least they are not last.

Roku said:
Anderis said:
yaco said:
Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta.
Not going to happen. California and TdF will be Talansky's main targets for 2017.

Well, with the field that is going to line up at the start he could very well aim for a Top-5. I only see Froome, Quintana, Bardet, Porte and Contador as stronger riders than Andy.

The route is definitely suitable for Talansky - He's a good TT'er but he will still lose 2 to 3 minutes on Froome in the TT's and unlikely to make up time in the mountains - A top 5 is a definite possibility - In saying that the Giro route suits him better with longer TT's and most of the climbs are longer which suits his diesel style of climbing - Anyway Cannondale probably wants to give riders like Formolo a chance for GC.

Anderis said:

Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

Cannondale comes with a very, very strong squad. I personally think they will ride for Woods, I have a feeling he will show up in monster form again this year.

B. Canty can defiantly surprise, though. He was in a class of his own, on the climbs at the Australian Championships and has proven that these short interval climbs suit him very, very well. For example, at the Tour of Austria last year, where he also opened up a huge gap on the Sonntagberg and went on to take his first triumph on European soil. I will defiantly be cheering for him!

Canty started racing in October 2013 and already the following year he won on Tawonga Gap (7.6km @ 6% gradient) beating other great climbers such as Matthew Clark, Ben Dyball and another former runner turned cyclist Freddy Ovett for example... Canty has massive potential!

yaco said:
Roku said:
Anderis said:
yaco said:

The route is definitely suitable for Talansky - He's a good TT'er but he will still lose 2 to 3 minutes on Froome in the TT's and unlikely to make up time in the mountains - A top 5 is a definite possibility - In saying that the Giro route suits him better with longer TT's and most of the climbs are longer which suits his diesel style of climbing - Anyway Cannondale probably wants to give riders like Formolo a chance for GC.

How sure are we that it might happen? :D

Jakob747 said:
Anderis said:

Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

Cannondale comes with a very, very strong squad. I personally think they will ride for Woods, I have a feeling he will show up in monster form again this year.

B. Canty can defiantly surprise, though. He was in a class of his own, on the climbs at the Australian Championships and has proven that these short interval climbs suit him very, very well. For example, at the Tour of Austria last year, where he also opened up a huge gap on the Sonntagberg and went on to take his first triumph on European soil. I will defiantly be cheering for him!

Canty started racing in October 2013 and already the following year he won on Tawonga Gap (7.6km @ 6% gradient) beating other great climbers such as Matthew Clark, Ben Dyball and another former runner turned cyclist Freddy Ovett for example... Canty has massive potential!

You are right about Canty - Give him another two or three pre-seasons combined with more race craft and he can be a serious rider - Has untapped talent.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm saying go to BET365 and put a few quid on Woods. He's a dark horse way off the radar. He had a few accidents last year and missed a heap of races so no one really knows him that well. He could practically date someone's sister and they wouldn't know who he is.

If he can have, and continue, a great start like last year and get into good form, well, maybe he can go for GC in one of the Tours.

Would be great to see him blow up the Skybot train just to see something other than the usual we've seen the last while. Woods is plucky and confident enough to just go for it. Maybe he and Contador can avoid crashes and cause some real discomfort to Froom-pid and Co. this year.

Re:

Mongolian Torque said:
I'm saying go to BET365 and put a few quid on Woods. He's a dark horse way off the radar. He had a few accidents last year and missed a heap of races so no one really knows him that well. He could practically date someone's sister and they wouldn't know who he is.

If he can have, and continue, a great start like last year and get into good form, well, maybe he can go for GC in one of the Tours.

Would be great to see him blow up the Skybot train just to see something other than the usual we've seen the last while. Woods is plucky and confident enough to just go for it. Maybe he and Contador can avoid crashes and cause some real discomfort to Froom-pid and Co. this year.

Woods does look like a good rider and he did have some setbacks last season but he doesn't look like a 3 week GC rider, maybe he can pinch a stage win in a GT but I doubt he'll be of any concern to Froome and Co.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Woods and Canty are my picks for a surprise result. I watched Canty on Sunday at the Nats and he was a beast. I haven't really seen Canty get dropped yet, anywhere.

I guess their hottest card still might be Joseph LLoyd Dombrowski for the Giro d' Italia. Whether that's for a surprisingly gc move or for the blue jersey is to be seen. But he looked good enough again there last year that I still expect some major breakthrough for him in Italy. After all the Italian Alps are pretty similar to the Rocky Mountains cols he uses to train in. The Tour of Italy's gonna be his main season target. So he's really gonna peak for that race before calm down a bit and concentrate on the Tour of Utah and the North American calendar afterwards.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Dombrowski going for the blue jersey would be cool.
They could have a great Giro squad, Dombrowski, Formolo, Rolland and maybe even Hugh Carthy, that would actually be a great team for the mountains and you still have Davide Villella for the harder hilly stages.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So are Cannondale going to Paris-Nice with 8 leaders? :lol: Seems like an interesting tactic either way.

Yes, very odd team:

Dombrowski
Woods
Formolo
Craddock
Rolland
Slagter
Carthy
Talansky
Villella
Wippert

They should sub out Wippert for Uran for some real fun!

What's going on with Phinney? I was rather surprised to not see him in Opening Weekend.

TRENDING THREADS