• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I realise that they have had to start scrambling around for riders very late, but I'd feel a bit more reassured about their sporting prospects if they announced a few arrivals.
It's starting to become disturbing that they are yet to announce their 1st signing after losing so many important riders.

And more and more riders I was considering as possible signings are getting confirmed at other teams. I have no idea who will be riding for this team in 2018 and I fear the depth of the roster might be very weak compared to 2017,

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
I realise that they have had to start scrambling around for riders very late, but I'd feel a bit more reassured about their sporting prospects if they announced a few arrivals.
It's starting to become disturbing that they are yet to announce their 1st signing after losing so many important riders.

And more and more riders I was considering as possible signings are getting confirmed at other teams. I have no idea who will be riding for this team in 2018 and I fear the depth of the roster might be very weak compared to 2017,

I wouldn't be surprised to see them defer being aggressive with signings until next year.

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

Yes, they are, but that doesn't have to have much bearing on the transfer preference. Isn't the deal with EF North America?

Simillarly Williams had a deal with Procter & Gamble in F1 when they hired Bruno Senna, but the money seemed to come completely from the Brazilian part of the company, even though the whole Procter & Gamble weren't Brazilian by origin.

Anderis said:
Yes, they are, but that doesn't have to have much bearing on the transfer preference. Isn't the deal with EF North America?

Simillarly Williams had a deal with Procter & Gamble in F1 when they hired Bruno Senna, but the money seemed to come completely from the Brazilian part of the company, even though the whole Procter & Gamble weren't Brazilian by origin.

On twitter EF North America said that the sponsorship is by the worldwide company, just managed through their US operation.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Bit of a weird question:
If they don't manage to sign anymore - or only manage to sign a few - riders, and therefore end up with just about 10-15 riders, could they be relegated to pro-conti - or even regular conti - simply due to not having enough riders?
That's very high level of abstraction.

I'm sure there are hundreds of riders around the world who would take a WT contract without hesitation, at any circumstances, therefore you only end up not having enough riders if you really don't bother to sign them. And if you really don't bother to sign them, it's a sign that a team was going to collapse anyway, for completely different reasons.

If Vaughters can't find enough quality riders to sign at this point of the year, he should sign some riders that stand out in lower ranks on 1-year deals to see if they sink or swim at this level, to have enough free slots for building a proper team for 2019. Maybe he will also be able to find some riders and teams who are ready to terminate current contracts by mutual agreement, like Sunweb and Waytens recently.

I would love to see Luca back in the peloton, though. Even if just for one spring classics season.

Edit: Just read on Wiki that his ban expired in January this year, he couldn't find a team and retired to run a coffee shop. Which is a shame, I would've liked to see him come back in one more time. You never know, with JV's redemption narrative, he might be the perfect candidate.

Anderis said:
RedheadDane said:
Bit of a weird question:
If they don't manage to sign anymore - or only manage to sign a few - riders, and therefore end up with just about 10-15 riders, could they be relegated to pro-conti - or even regular conti - simply due to not having enough riders?

I'm sure there are hundreds of riders around the world who would take a WT contract without hesitation, at any circumstances, therefore you only end up not having enough riders if you really don't bother to sign them. And if you really don't bother to sign them, it's a sign that a team was going to collapse anyway, for completely different reasons.

If Vaughters can't find enough quality riders to sign at this point of the year, he should sign some riders that stand out in lower ranks on 1-year deals to see if they sink or swim at this level, to have enough free slots for building a proper team for 2019. Maybe he will also be able to find some riders and teams who are ready to terminate current contracts by mutual agreement, like Sunweb and Waytens recently.

I'm not saying that they definitely won't be able to sign enough riders. Simply asking that if a team - in this case Cannondale - finds themselves in such a situation, could they then be delegated simply due to having a (very) low amount of riders.
Though I guess there's also a practical reason; they'd be hard pressed sending squads to both P-N and T-A, which - as WT teams - they'd kinda be obliged to.

RedheadDane said:
Anderis said:
RedheadDane said:
Bit of a weird question:

I'm not saying that they definitely won't be able to sign enough riders. Simply asking that if a team - in this case Cannondale - finds themselves in such a situation, could they then be delegated simply due to having a (very) low amount of riders.
Though I guess there's also a practical reason; they'd be hard pressed sending squads to both P-N and T-A, which - as WT teams - they'd kinda be obliged to.

Cannondale will fill their roster though the quality may be doubtful.

RedheadDane said:
I didn't assume that you implied that Cannondale wouldn't be able to fill their roster. I just pointed out that I can't imagine a situation in which a WT team wouldn't be able to hire the number of riders that is necessary to compete at this level so the question you asked looks to be very hypothetical to me (but that's OK, I like to do the same sometimes).

Is there a minimum requirement for the quality/experience of riders? If the deadline for submitting WT squads is coming up and EF are still 5 guys short, can they just sign 5 guys from their local club ride? If they end up with 10 guys in their 25 with less than 10 ranking points between them, would they be running the risk of being dropped to Conti level anyway?

Re:

Leinster said:
Is there a minimum requirement for the quality/experience of riders? If the deadline for submitting WT squads is coming up and EF are still 5 guys short, can they just sign 5 guys from their local club ride? If they end up with 10 guys in their 25 with less than 10 ranking points between them, would they be running the risk of being dropped to Conti level anyway?
According to the UCI regulations, there are five criteria to be used in deciding whether to grant World Tour licenses:
- sporting;
- ethical;
- financial;
- administrative;
- organisational

As to the sporting criterion in particular, the regulations provide: "For the 2018 and 2019 seasons, all UCI WorldTeams applying for UCI WorldTeam status shall be considered to have satisfied the sporting criterion."

(see page 108 here: http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/18/23/94/2-ROA-20170901-E_English.pdf)

Therefore, as an existing WT team, EF does not need to make any showing as to its competitiveness next year.

Eisenhart extends with Holowesko-Citadel - another rider who I was considering as a possible signing for EF is confirmed elsewhere.

Who's left among young, promising riders from smaller American teams? Can't see many beyond Logan Owen.

I read on cyclingfever that Losada and Mamykin are confirmed to leave Katusha- they could be decent climbing domestiques, although Losada is a bit past his prime, I'm afraid.

I still dream that one day Slipstreamsports confirms Rohan Dennis or Dylan Teuns for next year- they are still both without 2018 confirmation according to procyclingstats. They're not very realistic transfers, but Talansky's retirenment and Van Baarle's departure must have freed up some salary budget and the team should be able to make an attractive offer to someone decent in this regard.

Nonetheless, after so much waiting I would be happy to find out ANY new rider confirmed at this point.

Anderis said:
RedheadDane said:
Bit of a weird question:

This,

The question is not if they are able to sign riders but which type of riders.

TRENDING THREADS