• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It is not fine because it takes 15 seconds of research to find out what you're saying is wrong and I already did the research for you which you chose to ignore.

It is fine by me...

All I have said is that he is usually better in the fall compared to the spring, historically. Most of his best results have come in the fall or in the Ardennes, right at the end of spring. I think that is pretty easy to see if you go through almost every year of his career. Thats been a trend for him. If you dont see this or dont like me saying this, I cant help you.

I dont know what you are on about this comparing 50th to 80th places. Cool and interesting. Never argued or cared about that.

I dont even remember our last "argument" or if we are really arguing the same thing here. Was it really me?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think we've already had that discussion in another thread.

Just look at his early season results at PCS in 2020, 2019, 2018 etc. They were typically between 20th and 40th place, not between 80th and 110th like this year. He is usually a consistent rider who doesn't finish very far behind even if his form is not optimal, so I'm concerned.
I don't think E3 is relevant for a discussion of his early season track record. It's true that he was relatively decent in February in both 2019 and 2020, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the difference between 40th and 90th in some of the stages so far (where he also has a 24th place). But like Salvarani, I just don't expect much from him. And I'd assume that his expected role is different now than three years ago.

But most riders charts would look like that, a bell curve with most racing done during high peak season. Maybe compare with a chart of Wellens, who is widely seen as a rider best in the early months of the year. I'm sure the curve ain't as crooked as we might think.

Yet again absolutely abysmal start of the season by the team. Right now they're sitting 22th in PCS team ranking, the lowest of all WT teams and behind 3 PRT teams. Out of 7 WT races they've had 0 top10 finishes and it looks like Catalunya is going to be the 8th one. They're lucky to have had a good 2020 season, otherwise they would be facing a very high probability of WT relegation after this year.
Marijn Van den Berg was beating Arnaud de Lie almost 100% of the time head to head last year- look at the results of both this year. It's amazing how poor this team is in developing sprinters. They've had like 2 or 3 WT sprint wins in 10 years?
Their social media is useless too, ten years ago there was information on a lot of stuff, now you will have more success being up to date with what's going on with the team following cyclingnews main website than EF's own twitter and website. Last year, Carthy abandoned the Vuelta and there was not even a single word about why, all you could see on their twitter were some flashbacks to Howes' and Morton's past alternate races.

It's not fun following the team anymore. And in the past I thought it was bad because Dan Martin always crashed a couple of times each season. At least you could bet on him doing well when he didn't crash. Nowadays nobody seems to perform.

Yet again absolutely abysmal start of the season by the team. Right now they're sitting 22th in PCS team ranking, the lowest of all WT teams and behind 3 PRT teams. Out of 7 WT races they've had 0 top10 finishes and it looks like Catalunya is going to be the 8th one. They're lucky to have had a good 2020 season, otherwise they would be facing a very high probability of WT relegation after this year.
Marijn Van den Berg was beating Arnaud de Lie almost 100% of the time head to head last year- look at the results of both this year. It's amazing how poor this team is in developing sprinters. They've had like 2 or 3 WT sprint wins in 10 years?
Their social media is useless too, ten years ago there was information on a lot of stuff, now you will have more success being up to date with what's going on with the team following cyclingnews main website than EF's own twitter and website. Last year, Carthy abandoned the Vuelta and there was not even a single word about why, all you could see on their twitter were some flashbacks to Howes' and Morton's past alternate races.

It's not fun following the team anymore. And in the past I thought it was bad because Dan Martin always crashed a couple of times each season. At least you could bet on him doing well when he didn't crash. Nowadays nobody seems to perform.

You're right about most things but Valgren was a wrecked chain from getting a good result in MSR and Cort and Bettiol have been busying themselves with being unlucky with sickness and crashes.

But yeah, why they don't bother with social media and promoting is baffling. At least they will be on the Netflix Tour series.

Bissegger won a stage at the UAE Tour and finished 9th in the Paris Nice TT, Owain Doull also finished inside the top 10 on stage 5 at PN.

Bissegger won a stage at the UAE Tour and finished 9th in the Paris Nice TT, Owain Doull also finished inside the top 10 on stage 5 at PN.
I meant top10 overall (classics or GC), not top10 on a single stage, which for me is a bit too easy to achieve and not paying enough ranking points to count for much.

And fair play to Bissegger, his TTs have been one of the few bright points of the last 2 years. But I would take one solid win in the classics over 5 such TT wins.

This is the second straight year that their cobbles team has been terrible. I was hoping the Bissegger and/or Rutsch would step up this year. Not looking likely. Why wasn’t Rutsch at E3? Illness? Bettiol looks horrible in Italy, so little hope for a result in a big cobbled classic. Disappointing because I love the cobbles and I am a fan of the team. Would love to see them be competitive once again.

TRENDING THREADS