• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes if we like it or not not much we can do about it ATM. I personally am not worried that much, but did notice some other people i came in contact, on a daily basis, did start to panic a bit already. Like look a few other people from across the world got sick today.

I don't even try to reason with them for now, as it's pointless.

Reactions: JosephK
Yes if we like it or not not much we can do about it ATM. I personally am not worried that much, but did notice some other people i came in contact, on a daily basis, did start to panic a bit already. Like look a few other people from across the world got sick today.

I don't even try to reason with them for now, as it's pointless.
I’m worried about it, not from a health perspective really, but from a business perspective. I’m self-employed and not being able to work for a month would cause financial problems. Business is already 20% down on the last 3 months compared to last year as it’s travel related.

We should be cautious about it and hence i can up to a point understand Italy based races getting canceled for now. We just shouldn't panic, like lets cancel everything there is to cancel for the next few months. That is just not rationale behavior. But i guess it will happen anyway, as fighting it as an individual, that doesn't get you far. You can do that all day long but at the end of the day another set of news will come in, 10 more people got sick. And you would need to start over ...

It's just pointless at this point. Lets therefore all be safe and lets cancel everything. Not much else can be done it about it at this point anyway.

In Lombardia today 451 new cases and 25 deaths, someone really still thinks about Sanremo?

For who is interested I'll post the national recap in the thread in the café.
I think the trend is important in managing the epidemic.
If the numbers start moving favourably, there's a chance for La Primavera. Less for Tirreno - Adriatico, as it stands.
It's, about, the middle between the outbreak and the MSR.

I'm not ready to admit we might lose the entire cycling season. As the virus spreads there will be a point where the risk of getting the virus in your own neighborhood starts coming closer the risk of getting it at the race. Although I guess folks would argue a rider and their family can still control their circumstances and isolate/take more stringent precautions at home. But as far as fans getting it, I would guess the risk of transmission on city buses, subways, and trams might be higher than standing outdoors at a bike race?

Oh yes people are panicking all right. My local supermarkets have no toilet paper and supplies of other products e.g. tinned foods are empty! As for effects of Coronavirus on professional racing I think its time to start thinking that the Giro and even Tour could be cancelled. All other races before are at serious risk too. I read a story today that the world wide virus spread will peak around August. Also, the economic effects of all this are yet to be revealed but I do worry we will see something very bad.

Oh yes people are panicking all right. My local supermarkets have no toilet paper and supplies of other products e.g. tinned foods are empty! As for effects of Coronavirus on professional racing I think its time to start thinking that the Giro and even Tour could be cancelled. All other races before are at serious risk too. I read a story today that the world wide virus spread will peak around August. Also, the economic effects of all this are yet to be revealed but I do worry we will see something very bad.
There are schools of thought suggesting the spring and temperature increase could wipe the virus off from this half of the globe.
Also, the processes related to the virus mutation might change the picture for the better.
It's a fluid matter... we'll see.

I think the trend is important in managing the epidemic.
If the numbers start moving favourably, there's a chance for La Primavera. Less for Tirreno - Adriatico, as it stands.
It's, about, the middle between the outbreak and the MSR.
New cases per day still increases, deaths per day still increases, not to mention the fact that there has been more than 2000 cases and almost 100 deaths there and they just refused to ride in Siena where there isn't a single case along the race route.

We are talking about a (new) virus therefore it is expected for the number to only go up for now. As for some perspective, currently around 100.000 people got infected with coronavirus, 55.000 recovered and 3500 people died. It is estimated that annually influenza virus, the flu, is responsible for 250.000 to 600.000 deaths. It is estimated that annually more than 1.000.000 people die, due to traffic injuries.

Therefore things like stockpiling toilet paper, due to coronavirus situation, that is just paranoia at its best.

New cases per day still increases, deaths per day still increases, not to mention the fact that there has been more than 2000 cases and almost 100 deaths there and they just refused to ride in Siena where there isn't a single case along the race route.
I think you’re missing the point. All the experts are predicting that this is only in its infancy, and we should really be well aware that hospitals and medical services won’t be able to cope. So, realistically, everything that isn’t absolutely necessary as regards people in crowds, travel, hotels et al will be cancelled until the point that the unknown is known and is treatable.

The governing bodies, way above the UCI, will at some point insist that races don’t go ahead as they will be scared of what it’s going to do to hospitals, the economy, the country’s image, the aged and the like.

Whether we like it or not, every country is effectively a brand these days, the damage to Italy so far is estimated to be 6.5 billion Euros in lost revenue through tourism. Having a race and the associated lock-downs is very, very bad PR.

Last edited:
The UAE has had 28 confirmed cases. The only tropical country I see with over 100 cases is Singapore. It does seem to be spreading a lot faster in cooler areas. They should move Tirreno-Adriatico to Vietnam. We could host Milano-Sanremo here in Thailand. Problem solved.

The UAE case might have an explanation: a couple of riders/staff members got the virus in Italy but then all of others caught it in the hotel where the temperature was likely not as high as outside (air conditioning).
That may well be the case, we don’t know for sure though. But it doesn’t prove anything, and until the great unknown is a known then there will be hysteria about it. If indeed it becomes an annual thing like common colds and flu, then at least there’ll be knowledge about the size, effects et al. Currently that isn’t the case though, so it’s impossible for anyone or anything to plan. In my opinion, that is the core issue, no one has a Scooby.

True.
Though there are arguments supporting the claim even on this example.
I'm far from an expert on the subject. Srill, I've read that the two main reason that are currently believed to slow down the spread of other viruses during warmer weather (or summer) are:
  • the higher altitude of the sun and the longer days cause higher intensity of UV light which helps kill viruses
  • warmer air has often a higher humidity, which causes viruses that are spread via respiratory droplets to form larger and larger droplets quicker and eventually fall to ground.