• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
About time the UCI showed some leadership which has been noticeable by its absence in the last few weeks.
It is not leadership when there is only one option left and that too it has already been done by other parties. Also do they expect a miracle in coming 2.5 weeks? Do they think that all cases will disappear by Apr 3? China took 2.5 months to reduce to ~ 10000 cases. As usual they are a paper tiger.

I mused a year or so ago (oh I think it was actually only 5-6 days, seems like a longer time) that I thought there was a 50% chance the Giro would go on as scheduled, only a 5% chance it was cancelled outright, and the rest of the likelihood was of it being held later. Well, I think I was under-informed of the exponential nature of a pandemic like this, so that was an overestimate of it going on as scheduled. But my basic thinking hasn't changed, and I still think many of the big races could be held later in the year. Just psychologically, it seems reasonable to think that after the next month or so, if things are stabilizing in terms of numbers of cases, restrictions will loosen and what seemed crazy restrictive two weeks ago will seem like a breath of fresh air. Just thinking of somewhere like Italy, when they tried to quarantine Lombardy tons of people just fled to different areas because people aren't used to having their freedoms restricted and they didn't want to start. I would imagine if things stabilize in Italy and hotspots remain quarantined while restrictions are lifted elsewhere, it will work much better than it did initially, as people will respect it because they know what happens if they don't now.

The same thinking goes for sporting events - after nothing for a long time, people will be starving to watch a football match in an empty stadium on TV. Broadcasters and promoters will be itching to make money, especially since lots of people will probably still mostly be advised to stay home and will be looking for a change of pace, which live sports would give (as well as a return of a sense of semi-normalcy). If they want to hold the Tour de France and say nobody is allowed to gather to watch along the route, I feel like people would oblige, or the infrastructure to enforce it would be there in a way it wasn't before, or both.

The biggest problem, though, is that the Tour is, well, a tour. A travelling caravan of riders and 5x as many team support, officials, journalists, etc etc, even aside from the fans. So one day races would be more likely to run earlier than Catalunya or the Giro. Or maybe the Giro would be redesigned to have clusters of stages based out of a single place for 4-5 days at a time, with more rest days to move. Or shortened to 2 weeks (which I would hope against, lest it provide a model for the long-dreaded GT shortening that people in power seem to like). Or maybe the Tour can run on schedule with no crowds. a few of the bigger races can be salvaged in the summer, and the Giro and monuments get pushed to an extended late season after the Worlds. That would be my ideal, but who knows really. I think the psychology of such a move is realistic, but not sure if the logistics are.

I guess the other issue is that cycling is a pretty small fish. Football leagues (with a relatively limited number of athletes running around in an empty stadium), Olympics, Euro 2020 are going to take precedence if anything does, so I suppose if they give up then everyone else might too. Following the resumption of life in China for the new few weeks will be instructive, no doubt.

You might think that the particular example was inappropriate, but the effect on riders' ambitions and chances to show themselves in the hunt for contract renewal is very much what this thread is about.

Perico's post has no relationship to the upcoming transfer market which will undoubtedly be affected by COVID19. In fact the derogatory term LRP referring to Porte or fetching water bottles for Nibali has no impact on his upcoming transfer negotiations.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef
China is supposed to start up its football competition again in May, so about 4 months after the real start of the epidemic. As fast as it has been spread, with adequate measures in place, and maybe some help from the climate, we may also start seeing significant improvements in April - so perhaps June is realistic in terms of starting up all sorts of competitions again.

That's the best case scenario, yes.
Middle bad case would be no racing for the rest of the season. Worst case: the epidemic continues until the next year.

Reactions: Joelsim
My 2 cents: we won't go back to a completely normal life until 2021.
Sports events might be back sooner but behind close doors (or other measures for outdoor sports).

Wuhan implemented a full lockdown and it took them more than 2 months to get back to some form of normality.
No european big country is doing what they did, some are still postponing lockdwon measures.

It won't be quick, and it won't be pretty.

My 2 cents: we won't go back to a completely normal life until 2021.
Sports events might be back sooner but behind close doors (or other measures for outdoor sports).

Wuhan implemented a full lockdown and it took them more than 2 months to get back to some form of normality.
No european big country is doing what they did, some are still postponing lockdwon measures.

It won't be quick, and it won't be pretty.
Quite. Unless of course the Western governments start welding people in to their homes like happened in Wuhan.

What SARS vaccine?

I read it somewhere but didn't verify the source. Thanks for your reply it prompted me to check. Well I guess we are all looking for hope, I guess I was overly optimistic. But then again, the global impetus to perfect a vaccine for coronavirus is far greater than for any prior disease in human history. So I am hopeful the predictions of 18 months or more will prove to be pessimistic.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS