• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My workplace will shut down next week for two months. But to keep it light, and because regardless we have to stay upbeat, as much as it will put my family under financial stress, my forced vacation will involve a lot of riding. Solo. Blue Ridge Mountains.

Tour of Switzerland has nothing to do with the TDF - Realistically the season will go from September to November with the TDF being in September - The biggest worry is the loss of teams - I expect two or three teams to fall over by mid-year and there be mid-season transfers.

So I hear CCC is folding. Maybe that will be the first casualty unless they come back with a backer soon which under this environment could be impossible. Maybe the UCI makes them ride under the warrantied money and riders will ride under heavy pay cut. Not sure how would that work out.

The Giro in late october IMHO risks to see no Alps in case of a bad weather week coinciding with the third week of the race (very possible), if the Tour will take the Vuelta slot if i were the UCI i would try to put the Giro in july considering that the Vuelta doesn't have to go on the Alps so could take place with relatively low risks even in late october.

And if the season will run until the end of november you could start with the Strade Bianche on the sunday after Lombardia and go on with the original pacing of the classics only cutting Tirreno to gain a week and so you have 17/10 Strade, 24/10 Sanremo, 1/11 Gent, 8/11 Ronde, 15/11 Roubaix, 22/11 Amstel, 29/11 Liege.

I am thinking its simply best to call off the rest of the season until the coronavirus situation is more certain. Calling for Grand Tours to be rescheduled to later in the year is just hopeful. They are businesses and require some certainty to justify the considerable financial investment, not to mention advanced planning required. I just can't see any of the Grand Tours going ahead this season at this point in time. Likewise no other significant racing either. The situation is completely uncertain, so we are all just speculating and most of us in hope rather than facts or logic. Of course I wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. :(.

I am a bit slow to the party but I like the idea of the "what are you watching now" thread. I need to find some old racing videos to watch! In my part of the world we can still ride solo (outside exercise is still acceptable). Meanwhile everyone here should worry first and foremost about the health of yourselves and your families and friends. Cheers.

Reactions: Joelsim
In this season of compromised racing if you have to take a chance on a November Giro you do it - Unless you have the Giro in July or August there is always the chance of an affected race.
In november you can't go on the Stelvio or Agnello even in case of good weather because are already closed. Considering that Italy is the only place in which the numbers are starting to decrease july is the best option for the Giro, otherwise probably we won't see racing at all even in july (i consider june already gone even if not officially).

Tonton, sorry to hear that. Hoping you can enjoy your rides. You will have wonderful views for your rides.
You can't beat the views on the Blue Ridge Mountains at this time of the year. I'm gonna ride with vengeance, celebrate life.
And as a fanboy, Tibopino may not win the Tour, not because he got injured or sick, but because everybody (including his Dad - positive) is. I was ready for a Pinot explosion. Go figure...
In the end, sports is only that: sports. We're facing a plague. My heart is broken everyday when I see numbers, casualties, lives lost in the dearest countries in my heart: the US of A, France, Italy, Spain, all of them. God bless us all.

In november you can't go on the Stelvio or Agnello even in case of good weather because are already closed. Considering that Italy is the only place in which the numbers are starting to decrease july is the best option for the Giro, otherwise probably we won't see racing at all even in july (i consider june already gone even if not officially).

Could you not vary the route - You need to be flexible in these times.

You couldn't race the Giro in November. That's the equivalent of racing in March, as far as being close to winter goes. At this point in time I would give about a 25% chance of the Tour De France happening this year; less chance for the Giro (though with teams having at least 16 riders and the potential for different networks to show each race, I don't see why you couldn't hold both events at the same time).

(though with teams having at least 16 riders and the potential for different networks to show each race, I don't see why you couldn't hold both events at the same time).

That's what's I've been thinking too. If the season does get picked up again, there's gonna be a lot of overlapping. As long as two races aren't happening on the same roads at the same time, I don't really see how that should be too much of an issue, and if necessary teams could be given a suspension of the "WT teams much ride (old-style, pre-2017) WT races" rule. However, I'm not actually sure it will be necessary; there's probably not going to be the usual amount of injured and/or tired riders as we usually see at the end of the year, though we might see some rather interesting lineups.

My workplace will shut down next week for two months. But to keep it light, and because regardless we have to stay upbeat, as much as it will put my family under financial stress, my forced vacation will involve a lot of riding. Solo. Blue Ridge Mountains.
Sorry to read of your employment situation. You are fortunate you can still ride your bike. Where I am my job is safe for now. I am also able to ride solo and I am thankful for that. Good luck.

Reactions: Poursuivant

TRENDING THREADS