• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We can add Mitchelton-Scott to the list of team with riders taking pay cuts.

It will continue - There must be racing from September to November or possibly 8 to 10 WT teams will fall over - What teams are currently doing by cutting salaries is preparing for racing later in the year.

positive news from Germany today!

in a scientific study in the district of Heinsberg(west Germany) it was found out that 15% of the population are already immune against the corona virus!

you can translate this with deepl.com

https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/art...Prozent-immun-erste-Lockerungen-moeglich.html

I didnt read what was the number of infected before this research was done. My german is nonexistent and translation was mess. That could add light to this. Ratio of infected before and after study. If real number is multiplied 3x or even more that can bring whole new prespective.

I didnt read what was the number of infected before this research was done. My german is nonexistent and translation was mess. That could add light to this. Ratio of infected before and after study. If real number is multiplied 3x or even more that can bring whole new prespective.

It was thought to be around 5%, when it was actually 15%. There was no comparable number of proven infections before, because they looked at a representative sample for the first time.

If they run the Giro in October per the cyclingnews article, what mountain stages will be dropped? Stelvio and Izoard/Agnello are so high. Any chance of doing Etna all the way to 3100m? Bondone?

Well, they would need to find 3 stages to replace the Hungarian ones and it would likely mean no room for the Tirreno Adriatico or the Tour of the Alps. I also think a second wave might be coming around October, so I think it will be almost impossible to have a Giro this season.

Japan has said that they dont know whether the pandemic will be under control for Olympics in July 2021

It's possible we'll have a vaccine by spring of 2021.

There are also multiple treatments in trials currently with two that just started their second phase of human trials, which basically means mass trials instead of very small trials. So there are two that are showing very hopeful results. By summer of 2021 we will have at least 1 and likely more than for good treatments available.

In an interview for the Corriere the UCI Vice President said that racing is very unlikely before the very end of July/beginning of August, the proposal on which they are working now is having the Tour in the normal slot of the Vuelta (not the anticipated one planned for this year) ending the 20th of September then the Worlds, the Giro starting the 7th or 14th of October and the Vuelta not later than mid November.

In an interview for the Corriere the UCI Vice President said that racing is very unlikely before the very end of July/beginning of August, the proposal on which they are working now is having the Tour in the normal slot of the Vuelta (not the anticipated one planned for this year) ending the 20th of September then the Worlds, the Giro starting the 7th or 14th of October and the Vuelta not later than mid November.

Interesting as la Vuelta said about two weeks ago they will not move their dates for anyone or any reason and they will either race on their assigned dates or no one will be racing at all this year. That was basically their comment and that they definitely will not give their dates to any other race. IMO they will have no choice but to overlap Grand Tours.

It's possible we'll have a vaccine by spring of 2021.

There are also multiple treatments in trials currently with two that just started their second phase of human trials, which basically means mass trials instead of very small trials. So there are two that are showing very hopeful results. By summer of 2021 we will have at least 1 and likely more than for good treatments available.

Yes, many people have reminded me it can take 18 months or longer to complete the trials to bring a vaccine to market. But there has never been the global impetus as there now is to perfect a vaccine for COVID-19. The experts I have read are not saying this is impossible merely that it takes a long time to complete the testing and trials to ensure it is effective and safe. I am hopeful we see good news much earlier and normal expectations don't apply now. The related coronavirus strains of SARS and MERS no vaccine was developed but both those strains died out by themselves and before a vaccine was needed. It might also be that a treatment drug rather than a vaccine is our saviour. We will see.

Yes, many people have reminded me it can take 18 months or longer to complete the trials to bring a vaccine to market. But there has never been the global impetus as there now is to perfect a vaccine for COVID-19. The experts I have read are not saying this is impossible merely that it takes a long time to complete the testing and trials to ensure it is effective and safe. I am hopeful we see good news much earlier and normal expectations don't apply now. The related coronavirus strains of SARS and MERS no vaccine was developed but both those strains died out by themselves and before a vaccine was needed. It might also be that a treatment drug rather than a vaccine is our saviour. We will see.

I'm hoping we start hearing some results from the first one that was started in Seattle early last month. This is an article about the first one. This week they should start giving the second round of shots to the group who got the first round. The reason for a year is due to watching and see if it does work basically.

This is about the second one:

However, treatments are much more likely to be approved by late spring or early summer.

Reactions: Cookster15
Interesting as la Vuelta said about two weeks ago they will not move their dates for anyone or any reason and they will either race on their assigned dates or no one will be racing at all this year. That was basically their comment and that they definitely will not give their dates to any other race. IMO they will have no choice but to overlap Grand Tours.

The TDF and the Vuelta are both owned by ASO, so the TDF will gain precedence in any sane word - I fail to see how you can fit in 3 GT's in a four month period along with the monuments and the raft of other races.

Reactions: KZD
I think they can fit them but they will be crossing over. The teams will have to adjust.

The other option is the one they said but they would go deep into the end of the year. There will be some cold weather but I think the least affected by the weather is Spain. So it is probably right that they will put La Vuelta the latest. The first one will be the Tour, no doubt about it, since they have to focus on the marketing first.

TRENDING THREADS