• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have lost track. Where are pro riders restricted at the moment?
(The situation in GB I don't understand at all, with this "you can ride once a day for a limited time". Obviously it made Thomas flee to Monaco? Or is it different in Wales?)
England as much exercise as you want from tomorrow (Wednesday) - with 1 non-household person - carry on social distancing .

Wales, Scotland & NI - no change - once a day, limited time, household members only.

I think

The Italian Federation just proposed a new Italian calendar to the UCI:

1 agosto Strade Bianche

5 agosto Milano-Torino

8 agosto Il Lombardia

18 agosto Giro dell'Emilia

20 agosto Gran Piemonte

22 agosto Milano-Sanremo

28 agosto Trofeo Matteotti

29 agosto Memorial Marco Pantani

31 agosto-4 settembre Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali

5 settembre G.P. Industria & Artigianato Larcianese

7-14 settembre Tirreno-Adriatico

16 settembre Giro della Toscana - Memorial Alfredo Martini

17 settembre Coppa Sabatini - Gran Premio città di Peccioli

20 settembre Giro dell'Appennino

22 settembre Regione Lombardia

3-25 ottobre Giro d'Italia

31 ottobre-1 novembre Campionati Italiani

Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...iclismo-professionistico-calendario-italiano-

I really like the block of one day races right at the start, if the WC stays on the same date it's a great option to prepare for it and those who won't ride the Tour could do a ton of racing in Italy right before it.

In general I enjoy the Worlds, however Qatar was just boring. For the Worlds, please no pan flat courses. If they have to be flat at least put cobbles on the route somewhere. Please, please, no more monsoons for the Worlds.

As for riders being restricted, several European countries have only just allowed riders outside to train. Also apparently Colombia was in a strict lockdown and only recently riders there have been allowed to start training again. In Spain riders may train, but cannot leave the province in which they live.

The Italian Federation just proposed a new Italian calendar to the UCI:

1 agosto Strade Bianche

5 agosto Milano-Torino

8 agosto Il Lombardia

18 agosto Giro dell'Emilia

20 agosto Gran Piemonte

22 agosto Milano-Sanremo

28 agosto Trofeo Matteotti

29 agosto Memorial Marco Pantani

31 agosto-4 settembre Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali

5 settembre G.P. Industria & Artigianato Larcianese

7-14 settembre Tirreno-Adriatico

16 settembre Giro della Toscana - Memorial Alfredo Martini

17 settembre Coppa Sabatini - Gran Premio città di Peccioli

20 settembre Giro dell'Appennino

22 settembre Regione Lombardia

3-25 ottobre Giro d'Italia

31 ottobre-1 novembre Campionati Italiani

Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...iclismo-professionistico-calendario-italiano-

I really like the block of one day races right at the start, if the WC stays on the same date it's a great option to prepare for it and those who won't ride the Tour could do a ton of racing in Italy right before it.
So they have changed some of the dates of one-day WT races that are in the UCI calendar? Now are France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands and others going to submit their revised schedules, after which UCI will switch theirs again? I don’t get it.

The changes aren't that big, are they? It's just Lombardia taking the place of MSR on August 5, and then MSR moving down to August 22.
Yes, they'd be a nice block of one day races in Italy before the Tour and with MSR being one week before the Tour and really close to Nice I could see a lot of guys racing in Italy before the Tour, with the shortened Dauphine it could even be an interesting option for the gc riders, mainly the portion between SB and Emilia.
Having all the big one day races in a country in one block durning these times makes a lot of sense from a logistic standpoint.

On one hand I am not a big fan of having the Autumn Italian classics in august but on the other hand, in the current context, it makes sense to have the main Italian classics all taking place in the same month because they could bring bigger names that are preparing for the Tour which would somehow compensate having the Giro in October.

watson-00004215-003.jpg

Reactions: pastronef
I'm assuming the motorhomes they're gonna use in the Giro will be slightly less luxurious than the one Richie used, and that they'll still have to share two and two.
However, once they get the logistics down - who'll be in charge of moving all those motorhomes? Where to actually park them? - I can't help but wonder if it could actually catch on permanently. The fact that riders are essentially staying in the same room for the entire duration of the race would surely make recovery between stages easier, and everyone would have the exact same conditions all the time.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
On one hand I am not a big fan of having the Autumn Italian classics in august but on the other hand, in the current context, it makes sense to have the main Italian classics all taking place in the same month because they could bring bigger names that are preparing for the Tour which would somehow compensate having the Giro in October.

maybe they are not too confident about the Giro to happen at all? Personally I'd think trying to get as much stuff as possible done in the Summer is the better approach, at least - if there's a 2nd wave, it's most likely to come in fall.

The first race after the break could be Sibiu by the way, but it's obviously not official yet, and there are quite some restrictions which need to be lifted first

View: https://twitter.com/SibiuTourEN/status/1260140914384744448

Reactions: roundabout

TRENDING THREADS