• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice break for Sagan at last
A positive effect of Covid on him...

So when you said "a number", you meant one? Or are you suggesting that there are carriers who tested negative?
I meant more than one, since I understood the positives were among the riders.
Regardless of the fact it's among the staff, the risk's the same... tracing contacts.
And add Matthews to the number.

Tons of cases in this rest day, it will probably spread to everyone, and the organizers will probably cancel it due to the cases. Sunweb will probably spread it to the rest if it hasn't already. Was sooo looking forward to stage 18 and 20.

According the the (UK) commentators, Vegni has said that the only thing stopping the race with be the authorities; so the organisers definitely won't cancel it.

The average age of Corona victims in Belgium is 83 years, which is even higher than the average life expectancy. It's a valid question whether it's worth shutting down society, compromising kids educations and ruin a country's finances for. I'm not even talking about the mental health of many isolated individuals. I hope the consequences won't be too bad in the next few years.
I won't go further into this.

Take care and stay healthy.
Children have also died from it. Not many but it has happened, and that while the entire world is "on alert". Plenty of people below 60 have died from it, on top of those who suffered but didn't die. Now imagine the world is no longer on alert, how many children would die then? How many would suffer then? As long as there is no vaccine, it only makes sense to contain the virus as much as possible. That doesn't mean the entire world has to shut down, but i don't agree with the way you dismiss the issue for people who have not reached life expectancy.

Children have also died from it. Not many but it has happened, and that while the entire world is "on alert". Plenty of people below 60 have died from it, on top of those who suffered but didn't die. Now imagine the world is no longer on alert, how many children would die then? How many would suffer then? As long as there is no vaccine, it only makes sense to contain the virus as much as possible. That doesn't mean the entire world has to shut down, but i don't agree with the way you dismiss the issue for people who have not reached life expectancy.
I hear all this talk about a vaccine, but that's not a certainty at all. There's no vaccine against HIV, is there? If there's no vaccine by this time next year, you'll have severely damaged societies and populations with nothing to show for it. I don't understand why so few are talking about this. The case mortality rate among children is actually so low that it's displayed as 0%/ https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#case-fatality-rate-of-covid-19-by-age

I hear all this talk about a vaccine, but that's not a certainty at all. There's no vaccine against HIV, is there? If there's no vaccine by this time next year, you'll have severely damaged societies and populations with nothing to show for it. I don't understand why so few are talking about this. The case mortality rate among children is actually so low that it's displayed as 0%/ https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#case-fatality-rate-of-covid-19-by-age
& as a direct result of global lock down and covid related restrictions a significant number of people slight younger than 83 years of age, living in serve poverty will die from Tubercolusis, Malaria, HIV, hunger, and more.
And of course then we the horrendous impact on peoples mental health.

This is a prize worth pursuing, so people should gladly sacrifice even their most basic freedom rights.

The world was not just before corona, why would that have changed?
---------
It's a shame for the Giro and no matter what happens from now on, the race will have lost.

Didn't know you could get HIV by being in the same room as somebody else, or grabbing the same doorhandle. I learn something new every day.

Reactions: Koronin
That's not the point and you know it. People are talking about a vaccine against Covid like it's a certainty and HIV clearly shows it isn't.

There are however now both effective pre-exposure prophylactic drugs and effective post infection treatments for HIV. It’s now a killer mostly in poor countries, which is one reason why money to try to develop a vaccine got scarcer.

Except "plenty" is still a very small percentage. Look at the bell curve. Those who die from Covid-19 which are under 60 are very very few.

For some perspective, nearly 150,000 people die each day around the world from all causes, according to 2017 data. Currently global Covid deaths are below 6,000 per day. The bold bit is the problem, do not under estimate the physical and mental impacts of lockdowns which I think exceeds the toll of Covid-19. Plus those who suffer but don't die are also a very small number - about 1% of global cases are listed as serious or critical. That includes poor countries.

Don't get me wrong, restrictions are definitely needed and I think mask-less fans shouting in the faces of riders are idiots who should be pulled aside or even charged by police but the economic impacts of the pandemic are the worst since the Great Depression. The late 2008 Global Financial Crisis is nothing compared to this and we still don't know when it will end. If there is no vaccine, what then? Lockdowns are not sustainable and a vaccine rushed to market without proper trials could be worse than the disease.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Even WHO now came out against the lockdowns seeing extreme poverty double. Extremly poverty doubling is likely to cause deaths from poverty to double. To put things into perspective: that is additional 25,000 deaths per day from hunger alone. We messed up with the lockdowns - badly
WHO came out against lockdowns as the primary strategy. No country should default to a lockdown when things get out of hand - they should focus on keeping things under control before that point. But that doesn't mean that lockdowns are not necessary if you allow the situation to deteriorate enough, or that the WHO is advocating no restrictions.

Obviously that wasn't your point, but it makes the comparison pointless and changes the premise completely. With HIV many/most cases could be prevented by the victims. With Covid-19, this is completely not the case.
I’ll give it one more try. There are viruses for which there is no vaccine. Besides HIV, there’s Dengue, Cytomegalovirus, ... and others. There is no certainty that we’ll get a vaccine ever, let alone soon. We should focus on improving our immune systems instead. That will not only reduce Covid deaths, but improve general health as well. Unfortunately, there’s very little debate about Vitamin D, K, Zinc or healthy food. Instead, we are staying home and we isolate ourselves.

Even WHO now came out against the lockdowns seeing extreme poverty double. Extremly poverty doubling is likely to cause deaths from poverty to double. To put things into perspective: that is additional 25,000 deaths per day from hunger alone. We messed up with the lockdowns - badly

To me it feels like the implicit message of acting responsibly to avoid lockdowns is ignored in favor of reading it as an ok to act as normal, because the lockdowns are worse.

I’ll give it one more try. There are viruses for which there is no vaccine. Besides HIV, there’s Dengue, Cytomegalovirus, ... and others. There is no certainty that we’ll get a vaccine ever, let alone soon. We should focus on improving our immune systems instead. That will not only reduce Covid deaths, but improve general health as well. Unfortunately, there’s very little debate about Vitamin D, K, Zinc or healthy food. Instead, we are staying home and we isolate ourselves.
HIV is completely different from covid-19. Day and night. We already know several corona-vaccines under study are effective, we only don't know yet if they have severe side-effects. As there are dozens of vaccines being developed specifically for covid, there will very, very likely be ones that are both effective and safe. The probability of there not being such a vaccine is practically zero, so I wouldn't put my money (or my/everyone's health) on the opposite possibility. That seems quite sensible, I would say.

For some countries (poor, young population), it may indeed be better to not implement many restrictions as it would cause many adverse effects. But for rich countries with a lot of old people, that is far from the best solution. Several countries have shown that it is in fact possible to keep corona relatively at bay while keeping society functional - let's learn from them.

Finally, yes, living a healthy life is important. That will, however, not solve a crisis going on right now needing action right now.

HIV is completely different from covid-19. Day and night. We already know several corona-vaccines under study are effective, we only don't know yet if they have severe side-effects. As there are dozens of vaccines being developed specifically for covid, there will very, very likely be ones that are both effective and safe. The probability of there not being such a vaccine is practically zero, so I wouldn't put my money (or my/everyone's health) on the opposite possibility. That seems quite sensible, I would say.

For some countries (poor, young population), it may indeed be better to not implement many restrictions as it would cause many adverse effects. But for rich countries with a lot of old people, that is far from the best solution. Several countries have shown that it is in fact possible to keep corona relatively at bay while keeping society functional - let's learn from them.

Finally, yes, living a healthy life is important. That will, however, not solve a crisis going on right now needing action right now.
For the last time. I never said HIV is similar to covid-19. I mentioned it as an example of a virus for which there is no vaccine, even after 30+ years.

I don't think you understand how clinical trials work since you wrote this: "As there are dozens of vaccines being developed specifically for covid, there will very, very likely be ones that are both effective and safe."

TRENDING THREADS