• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To me it feels like the implicit message of acting responsibly to avoid lockdowns is ignored in favor of reading it as an ok to act as normal, because the lockdowns are worse.

I see it completely differently. Act responsibly, wear masks, wash hands, don't touch face, etc. And stop spreading fear because majority of people are dying from other reasons: poverty, cancer, strokes, mental health, that are significantly amplified by the lockdowns and the fear being propagated. Be vigilant - don't be afraid.

But clearly the way one interprets the message is dependent on their own predetermined opinion. Mine is that consequences of lockdowns cause 10x deaths than lack of such actions, and it is starting to look like WHO finally realized it. Too bad it was 6 months too late and probably cost millions of lives

I think the Giro may end on Sunday before the second rest day (which potentially could eliminate most GC contenders making the outcome unfair). The TT and Piancavallo to decide the race but they should inform the riders at least 2 days before to have a proper fight.

Last edited:
I think the Giro may end on Sunday before the second rest day (which potentially could eliminate most GC contenders making the outcome unfair). The TT and Piancavallo to decide the race but they should inform the riders at least 2 days before to have a proper fight.
Whether or not this happens its a plausible scenario and one the riders and teams should be planning for when deciding on their strategy for Sunday (ITT will be full gas effort anyway). Getting into Pink asap should be the aim for every rider in contention.

I don't think that Sunweb (mainly) and the other teams will only test in the rest day.
Especially considering we already had 3 positive cases on riders (interesting enough, all of them are amongst the top from the startlist). So as long as we make it to the weekend without news for posives, I'm confident enough that we'll go to Milan. Especially because Italy is doing still fine compared to most of Europe.

Vuelta in the other hand is at risk, but without checking the numbers, seems like Spain flattened the curve a bit, so as long as Vuelta starts, I think it's safe.

That said, why did they waited so long for the restart ? I mean, I think they released the new calendar in April and many European countries had their cases going down already in April, and many scientists raised voices that in summer the situation will easier to control. So, perhaps, they could start in early July despite travel restrictions in few countries.

the shared buffets thing sounds weird. wonder what exactly was meant by that? I stayed in a hotel during corona times (admittedly in late July when things were different and not in Italy) and the way dining was handled felt relatively secure
I stayed in a couple of hotels in Italy in August and there were buffets, but guests weren't allowed close to them. Staff would always serve the food at the table.

it was on Wielerflits

Jumbo confirmed that RCS did a re-test for Kruijswijk though, and also in Yates case it was clearly communicated, that two tests were done (first antigen, then PCR for confirmation). So I wouldn't jump to a "false positive" conclusion so quickly - it's actually more likely that Sunweb's quick (re) re-test was not correct

it was on Wielerflits

Jumbo confirmed that RCS did a re-test for Kruijswijk though, and also in Yates case it was clearly communicated, that two tests were done (first antigen, then PCR for confirmation). So I wouldn't jump to a "false positive" conclusion so quickly - it's actually more likely that Sunweb's quick (re) re-test was not correct

Says who, you?

It's been a constant for months now, i.e. a yo-yo back & forth between positive & negative tests for everyone (no matter who they are) whilst none get sick.

Let the carousel of insanity continue & we'll see where this ends.

Reactions: richwallone

TRENDING THREADS