• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I might be egotistical here, because I have no plans/opportunity of going anyway, but I'd much rather have racing and no crowds, than no racing.
Yeah, I think until May we will see races in the same way we saw them during the last few months. Some races who doesn´t want to organize their race under these circumstances (like Tour of Yorkshire) will be cancelled, but the main races in Europe will go ahead with corona protocols.
I think from May, June, July on we can hope for cycling races with more spectators.

I might be egotistical here, because I have no plans/opportunity of going anyway, but I'd much rather have racing and no crowds, than no racing.
I wouldn't say that's being egotistical of you. Flanders Classics and other race organisers have sponsors etc to keep happy. The sponsors would rather see their name on TV with no crowds than have a race pulled due to too many people and the local authorities pulling it.

I think it's sensible. Sad, as I have been to see the Ronde for years, but I am also fine being able to see it on TV. I will be back one day.

As for the TDY, we will not see that race on our calendar's again. It was already in financial trouble before Covid. I cannot see it happening again.

Don't know what to say to this. Doesn't feel fair, though of course is the reality. :confused:

Posted two weeks ago that Matt White of Mitchelton expects the whole peleton to be vaccinated by May - UAE team vaccinations is fantastic news - Better news that the UAE Tour is going ahead - I wonder if Saudi Arabia and Oman will go ahead.

Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kurne, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, Dwars door Vlaanderen, E3 Harelbeke, Ghent Wevelgem, Ronde van Vlaanderen, etc. is all about passion at not exactly the same without the passionate crowds.

However, most of the Belgian spring classics have been deep in my heart for almost 40 years and my personal highlight of the year (besides WC in September/October).
Hence, I'd reluctantly accept the slogan 'rather a race than no race' :confused_old:

Reactions: MartinGT
IOC imposes 14 days mandatory quarantine before the Olympic Games. This would mean that a combination Tour - Olympic Games is impossible as well as a combination Giro Rosa - Olympic Games for the women.

UCI will talk with IOC but it's unsure if they can get an exemption.

Source: HLN

IOC imposes 14 days mandatory quarantine before the Olympic Games. This would mean that a combination Tour - Olympic Games is impossible as well as a combination Giro Rosa - Olympic Games for the women.

So all that effort to have the Tour start a week earlier than originally planned next year might end up being completely unnecessary anyway?

How can you run any Olympic Games or the like if you do 14 days quarantine ? It makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Koronin
Do you have a link? I can't find much.

It's also on Sporza now:

Reactions: SafeBet
It's also on Sporza now:

More riders to opt for the Giro now?

That would be good if true. But since teams don’t have their private planes, all the riders who were in their team bubbles during the Tour would have to go through airports and travel on possibly crowded flights (i.e., leave their bubbles) to get to the Olympics. That’s why quarantines are done after one arrives in a new country.

That would be good if true. But since teams don’t have their private planes, all the riders who were in their team bubbles during the Tour would have to go through airports and travel on possibly crowded flights (i.e., leave their bubbles) to get to the Olympics. That’s why quarantines are done after one arrives in a new country.

Surely they could make a Tour to Olympics flight like the one which freighted Colombian and Ecuadorian athletes to Europe back in July.

This just doesn't affect cycling - Think of Tennis and basketball - You can't have athletes quarantine for 14 days before events.

the 2021 Australian Open are basically enforcing the same rules. Two-week quarantine for every player (with five hours of training per day permitted)

The only reason that is occurring is because it's the start of the season with few tournaments occurring at that time - Do you think players would cop it if this happened at the French Open, Wimbledon or the US Open in the middle of the year - Japan is being silly with the Olympic Games - They should be aiming for athletes to spending less time than normal in the village.

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
More riders to opt for the Giro now?
If that's how it will play out we are gonna see another winner from the left side next le tour..i reckon. *captain obvious..'ovah heah'..says Paulie Walnuts * . If i was a pro rider i would go to Japan earlier than others but that's just me being a wack.

If that's how it will play out we are gonna see another winner from the left side next le tour..i reckon. *captain obvious..'ovah heah'..says Paulie Walnuts * . If i was a pro rider i would go to Japan earlier than others but that's just me being a wack.

That would definitely mean opting out of the Tour. However, it wouldn't mean opting out of any other race.

TRENDING THREADS