• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nonsense. Not worth debating you.

There's no debate. You are clearly uneducated on this topic.
Your comment was unscientific nonsense. Fringe conjecture at best. If you bother looking objectively you will find far more science which does not support that.

There are “weird mysterious virus’s” popping up for most of the last 100 years. That doesn’t mean a new pandemic. The consequences for the world are far far worse if we don’t move on - has this crossed your mind? Deal with challenges if they eventuate.

Pulling riders out of races who are asymptomatic was right pre vaccine and pre omicron but is lunacy now.

Well this is awkward ...

https://apnews.com/article/climate-...ous-diseases-a354d82963fc2bd246e7be51d0033af9

That's the thing. It won't stay in decline if you pretend its 'just the flu' and ignore it. It'll keep spiking. Meaning more disruption. And here's the thing: The sole reason cases are declining at the moment is because the majority still take it seriously. It should never be acceptable to go to work if you have covid (or any infectious illness for that matter) & that applies to everyone including pro athletes.
Trouble is lots of people coming down with Covid are simply ignoring it, so there is no way to get an accurate picture of what's going on, despite your assurances to the contrary.

This is propagandra at its finest. Iwork in health insurance and reporting a broken bones case as Covid is fraud and it would take all of two seconds for it to be discovered. So, plase stop lying,

That was a thing in the USA. Hospitalized with covid vs hospitalized because of covid. Different states reported different numbers. Some reported EVERYONE in the hospital with covid as a hospitalized covid case. Others only reported those in the hospital specifically due to covid

Actually you do not. Hypochondria refers to fear of diseases/illness in relation to oneself not the concerns for others regarding pandemics.
Right and I was referring to you, as clarified in the last response. And the first thing hypochondriacs do is show excessive concern for others during a pandemic, which really has to do with their own fears of getting sick. Isn't that right old boy? :smile:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cookster15
That was a thing in the USA. Hospitalized with covid vs hospitalized because of covid. Different states reported different numbers. Some reported EVERYONE in the hospital with covid as a hospitalized covid case. Others only reported those in the hospital specifically due to covid

This was the case in UK and other countries as well. Reason for that is because covid patients were isolated from the others, so no matter for what reason you needed to stay in the hospital, you had a covid test to determine if you needed to be isolated or not. Result of that is that you would be counted with the group of "covid" patients in the hospital. (because the goverment used the metric of available covid beds (i'm from BE))
(I thought UK was 1/4th was covid related admission during omicron and 3/4th during delta. but those numbers are from recollecting.. so put on some salt) (for BE i don't know, they don't put numbers on those)

I don't know if this refers to those with broken bones since they are not staying in the hospital though... and it might differ between countries as well.

Are we still so unhabituated to endemic Covid that we continue to pretend it is disruptive to our daily lives? I'm only reminded of the good old days of lockdown when I see folks driving alone, windows closed, with masks on. Evidently these poor bastards don't know Covid is so passé, bless their hearts, and has been in the fickle mass media ever since the war in Ukraine broke out. The changeover was striking even for someone aware that there was simply a new cash cow to milk.

And then I think of Africa. Why was Africa never in the news reports during the hight of the pandemic? I asked an African this once at the time. The response was, sir, do you think Africans have time to worry about Covid when deaths caused by malaria are up 35 percent?
The person all alone in a car with a mask on could be going to pick up a sick/compromised/elderly family member or friend.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Faserr
Someone in the hospital for covid has covid.
Someone in the hospital with covid has covid.
While the severity is likely different, they both have covid so they are both covid cases.
"They came in with a neck injury from a car crash so we won't count their covid +". That wouldn't make sense.

EDIT: Our local hospitals counted all covid +, but listed them covid+ and covid ICU.

Last edited:
The person all alone in a car with a mask on could be going to pick up a sick/compromised/elderly family member or friend.
Or you can use masks for many other reasons. I use masks for a whole lot of other reasons nowadays since I got used to them. Sensitive throat so... Wood dust, chemicals, traffic, cat litter box cleaning, men with strong aftershave. I am really grateful for my masks! Oh and cold dry air also masks helps against. And pollen. And not getting recognised if I want to be alone.

Right and I was referring to you, as clarified in the last response. And the first thing hypochondriacs do is show excessive concern for others during a pandemic, which really has to do with their own fears of getting sick. Isn't that right old boy? :smile:
I'm a selfish arshole who doesn't want to miss my daily ride so I have been overly cautious. I have also been overly cautious so that I can visit my very compromised mom (more selfish on my part). But, who doesn't at least consider others' lives? Skip back to BC (before covid), I didn't go to work with influenza because I didn't want to F up other peoples' health. I could have easily worked with a slight cough and fever. You have to be an even bigger arshole than me not to care about a coworker who is receiving cancer treatments, or who is taking care of their sick/elderly family member, etc., to not be cautious.

"And the first thing hypochondriacs do is show excessive concern for others during a pandemic" No, that's not the definition at all, plus, how many examples of this do we have in the last 100 years? One.

I'm a selfish arshole who doesn't want to miss my daily ride so I have been overly cautious. I have also been overly cautious so that I can visit my very compromised mom (more selfish on my part). But, who doesn't at least consider others' lives? Skip back to BC (before covid), I didn't go to work with influenza because I didn't want to F up other peoples' health. I could have easily worked with a slight cough and fever. You have to be an even bigger arshole than me not to care about a coworker who is receiving cancer treatments, or who is taking care of their sick/elderly family member, etc., to not be cautious.

"And the first thing hypochondriacs do is show excessive concern for others during a pandemic" No, that's not the definition at all, plus, how many examples of this do we have in the last 100 years? One.
I consider others lives, just not every single move I make. And I always went to work sick, because I stupidly thought it my obligation.

I consider others lives, just not every single move I make. And I always went to work sick, because I stupidly thought it my obligation.
I'm not sure what you mean by obligation. I understand how difficult it could be if you are an hourly employee missing 8, 16, 24...hours of income. Or, maybe you mean obligation to get 'things' done, and I can understand that too.

Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93