• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Elite male WC road race

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the elite men's RR?

• other/vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am not sure the Australians set that fast a pace in the under 23 race and the pace in the womens was very slow.
If teams push the pace more I think there can be a selection that makes it to the finish. There will be a large group chasing them but they might not catch them.
If they race like the women did then Greipel is more of a chance of winning than Cancellara.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
The course looks rather easy so i think this will end up in a big group sprint,Kristoff should smash them all.Given Froome talking about wanting Swift in the rainbow jersey i expect Sky train rolling all day long from km 0.

MBotero said:
The course looks rather easy so i think this will end up in a big group sprint,Kristoff should smash them all.Given Froome talking about wanting Swift in the rainbow jersey i expect Sky train rolling all day long from km 0.

I too think it will be a sprint out of a (relatively) big group, but Kristoff said himself that he doubted, if he would still have the legs after a long season. He was on form practically all year long: MSR, cobbles, Tour, classics post-Tour. We saw it with Kwiatkowski what happens if you don't take a rest before the Worlds...

I really like Kristoff, he is one of my favorite riders, but for tomorrow I wouldn't bet on him.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
if I don't see the Italians, Spanish, and Columbians setting a crazy pace on the front with 100km to go, we all might as well turn off the TV for 2hrs and tune back in for the bunch sprint.

20-40km off super fast pace followed by sending riders up the road on the attack, forcing the other teams to chase. as soon as they catch the rider up the road send another rider.

MBotero said:

I think kristoff is done for this year, he was rather weak in Canada and has been good for a long period before.

Kwibus said:
We shall see. He will be up there, but I can't see him winning. Faster sprinters, or better climbers. I can't see it, but maybe you are right :)

Absolutely, but I see other guys being mentioned who he has to rank above.
For example, the current pet tip seems to be Van Avermaet. Navardauskas comes from beating him in two straight races in similar circuits.

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Based on what I've seen so far of the racing I'm not sure Gerrans will take this. If it's a 40 rider sprint there will probably be a better sprinter left; he's not going to go off on a solo attack, that's a fairly safe assumption; and given what's gone down this year I don't think a small group will give him an armchair ride to the finish - he is well known for this now and San Remo Cancellara of 2012 doesn't exist anymore.

The Hitch said:
This seems like such a waste of a worlds. Lightish courses like this are good too, but if you go to Spain you really should make it hard.

Lightish parcours are ok sometimes, but I think the biggest problem is the the first (main) climb is such a highroad and the hard climb is too short, so it's super hard to get a gap.

GuyIncognito said:
Also, I'm amazed out of my skull that Navardauskas is not being mentioned by anyone when by all accounts he should be one of the very biggest favorites

He's a good candidate on paper. One of three unless Garmin helps. That has happened before.

Belgians looking very good with fantastic depth. But, they have to work together and they will be closely marked.

Australia, OTOH has a squad with riders who can get away, not heavily marked as long as Evans helps.

Super-happy to see Eric Marcotte on the start list. The development situation is so poorly run from the top-down in the U.S. an athlete with a regular job is nationlal champion. I'm sure USA Cycling is giving him the cold shoulder. "Eric who?? Are you Tejay's assistant?"

That's not a dig at Marcotte personally. It's about the corrupt, broken system in the U.S.