• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Simurgh said:
He can/will certainly top-5, unless he fades, but I don't except that to happen. It seems as though 7th to 10th (Uran, Fuglsang, Valverde and Mas) are a notch below top 6 - there is also 1'12'' between Pinot in 6th and Uran in 7th, so his top-5 prospects look very good indeed!
Nothing certain about it imho.
Thomas, Bernal, Kruijswijk, Alaphilippe, Pinot... That's 5.

I know, but I can't fathom Alaphilippe not cracking and ending outside top-5 - I can barely imagine him finishing top 10, but everything about him screams Giro-Yates 2018 to me. The stage wins and him overperforming in the process. Surely he must pay. If you look in my latest posts about him, you'd think I'm in denial about his chances for GC glory, and I think that I am. I just can't believe that he can hold on to a top-5 placing. Voeckler had a 2 minute lead from a breakaway, but he fell apart at the Alpe - and I expect Alaphilippe to do likewise soon enough. I think I am in denial! :lol:

Re: Re:

Max Rockatansky said:
Valv.Piti said:
Its incredible how underrated, or maybe rather overlooked he is. Nobody quite knows who he actually is I feel, or dont care, I dont really know.

His interviews are quite like this. Yes, No, I feel good...that's it. He seems very focussed.

He could become the true successor of Ninja Zubeldia. :D

I agree, but the way he's riding the Tour, he might be blowing his own cover. A podium spot is a possibility. :D

Manny Bookman...

I was impressed and became a fan back in '17 when he had his mini breakthrough in Dauphiné. But he has really improved, steadily, since then. A top 5 is more than likely at the moment, given that Alaphilippe will likely fall out of the top 10 at some point. And I don't even see Manny as the weakest of the current top 6. Who else than Pinot looks stronger than him? No one, really.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Manny Bookman...

I was impressed and became a fan back in '17 when he had his mini breakthrough in Dauphiné. But he has really improved, steadily, since then. A top 5 is more than likely at the moment, given that Alaphilippe will likely fall out of the top 10 at some point. And I don't even see Manny as the weakest of the current top 6. Who else than Pinot looks stronger than him? No one, really.

I agree. That's why odds 17 on him right now are insane.

He’s on his own. Even Alaphilippe will have Mas if he recovers. Pinot has Gaudu, Kruiswijk has DePlus and Bennett, Bernal and Thomas have each other and Poels. Once the others start to consider Buchmann a threat (and they haven’t so far) they’ll start looking for a way to work him over.

Re:

Leinster said:
He’s on his own. Even Alaphilippe will have Mas if he recovers. Pinot has Gaudu, Kruiswijk has DePlus and Bennett, Bernal and Thomas have each other and Poels. Once the others start to consider Buchmann a threat (and they haven’t so far) they’ll start looking for a way to work him over.

Unless the situation is pretty similar to now at the foot of the crazy 35+ killmetre killer climb up to Val Thorens that I feel is being wildly underestimated on this forum, and Buchmann is the strongest there.

Re:

Leinster said:

Mühlberger is usually with him until the group is reduced to about 25 riders. For sure a level beyond the domestiques listed in your post but not that bad (means that Buchmann only will be alone on the last climb).

And then there is always the Sagan goes into a break option and the possibility of Konrad recovering.