• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So he kept the level through the race. And seems satisfied about it.

But I think he was better than Kruijswijk in the mountains (1 minute if you count his gains over Kruijswijk in the mountains) and maybe he should've tried a little bit more to shake him off. Probably, not knowing how he'd respond in the high mountains meant that he held back a little bit at times.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
So he kept the level through the race. And seems satisfied about it.

But I think he was better than Kruijswijk in the mountains (1 minute if you count his gains over Kruijswijk in the mountains) and maybe he should've tried a little bit more to shake him off. Probably, not knowing how he'd respond in the high mountains meant that he held back a little bit at times.

You are right, but we have to remember that - as opposed to Kruijswijk - this was his first trip to the top contenders club in a Grand Tour, he's never been part of it before.

Next year we will see, if he can do more than just tag along, when he can enter a Grand Tour with the knowledge, that he can hack it with the best.

Re:

Leinster said:
He’s on his own. Even Alaphilippe will have Mas if he recovers. Pinot has Gaudu, Kruiswijk has DePlus and Bennett, Bernal and Thomas have each other and Poels. Once the others start to consider Buchmann a threat (and they haven’t so far) they’ll start looking for a way to work him over.
Turned out that Muhlberger was able to climb better in the last 2 days than most of the domestiques you had mentioned.

tbh,m buchmann said he was at his limit today and also said in several other stages he really couldn't do much more and was close to blowing. So I don't think the cries for attacks are justified. Just as I said in Kruijswijks topic, people underestimate what hard pace by domestiques does to most riders. They don;t have any 'oompf' left for an attack.

It's very encouraging for Buchmann though that his overall climbing level was on par or slightly higher than Kruijswijk over 3 weeks. Since the latter one is probably one of the most consistent diesel GT riders there is..
But Buchmann is a lot younger. So might have room for improvement

Jul 27, 2019
Visit site
Really good Tour for him. He is riding consistently all the season and every year is better. But for him will be difficult to win GT, because he isn't really explosive and his TT is not good enough to do a lead. Someone who thinks that he should try to attack should look at his other GT results. This guy has never been in top 10 at any GT... Now he is fourth at TdF and it's big result for him. I also think, that he could do better, because he was little bit better than Kruijswijk in mountains. Maybe if 19. stage wasn't neutralized he could drop Kruijswijk on Tignes. After 19. stage he said, that he felt really good and tomorrow will attack. But after 20. stage he didn't felt very good. It's really pitty, but he is satisfaied and Kruijswijk merit podium after what happend to him at Giro 2016...

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Leinster said:
He’s on his own. Even Alaphilippe will have Mas if he recovers. Pinot has Gaudu, Kruiswijk has DePlus and Bennett, Bernal and Thomas have each other and Poels. Once the others start to consider Buchmann a threat (and they haven’t so far) they’ll start looking for a way to work him over.
Turned out that Muhlberger was able to climb better in the last 2 days than most of the domestiques you had mentioned.
True, a great ride by Muhlberger, which I was not expecting. Then again, there were a lot of factors since that post that I was not expecting.

Also, as good as Buchmann’s performance was, he never really became a threat to the others. Hopefully in future Tours he can threaten, but this year he mostly survived longer and better than anyone.

Mühlberger did a great job for him, but he was always great in the high mountains, 2 years ago he was stronger than Konrad on the Stelvio stage and helped him to limit his losses. His problem has always been that he's rather inconsistent in stage races, even in the u23 ranks.
Back to Buchmann it is nice to see a guy who is often training in my Area doing so well. Bora often have training camps in Lienz, sometimes you run into them when they are on a training ride.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Also, as good as Buchmann’s performance was, he never really became a threat to the others. Hopefully in future Tours he can threaten, but this year he mostly survived longer and better than anyone.

It will be very difficult to perform at this state for a longer period of years. He told Sagan, that he is at 59 kilos at 1,81m. This is below Chicken Rasmussen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asn9x9dyYTA

I read l'equipe named him one of the biggest disappointments of the tour cos he never attacked.

I really don't agree with that take at all, he did actually attack on the Tourmalet before all others GT rides, it didn't work but he gave it all he had, then also on the last stage he attacked 1km before the finish, again he didn't get away but he tried. But even more importantly it was the first GT where he had a chance to challenge for the podium, you can't really expect a rider to take huge risks to possibly throw away a result he never remotely achieved before?

How much worse was he actually than Egan Bernal, the "dominator of the tour"?
Stage 6, the first mountain finish Buchman gained few seconds on Bernal
In the TT Buchman gained 17s.
In the Pyrenees they were absolutely equal, Buchmann actually finished just in front of him 2 times.
On the 18th stage Bernal gained 32s on him.
The shorted stage 19 would have looked completely different if everyone knew it would end up on Col d'Iseran, Bernal went all out and gained a minute, while all other favorites didn't and saved their legs for the final ascend, de Plus was actually making pace and he is clearly not on the level of best. Maybe( probably?) Bernal would still gain smth but certainly not as much as he did.

So there you got the amazing Bernal and on the other hand a, according to the biggest french sports newspaper, a disappointing Buchmann and the difference between them is actually rather very small.

Reactions: Earns1985
Buchmann´s race programm for 2020 until the tour will more or less be the same like last year.
He will start with the Mallorca Challenge, then race the UAE Tour, Basque, Romandie and then the Dauphine.
Hope he will be as good (or better) then this year. Hope he will get a strong team at the tour so that he can ride a bit more offensive and will have more tactical options then this year.

Buchmann´s race programm for 2020 until the tour will more or less be the same like last year.
He will start with the Mallorca Challenge, then race the UAE Tour, Basque, Romandie and then the Dauphine.
Hope he will be as good (or better) then this year. Hope he will get a strong team at the tour so that he can ride a bit more offensive and will have more tactical options then this year.
Kämna, Mühlberger and maybe even Fabbro would be good climbing domestiques, the first 2 have more potential than Konrad when it comes to the high mountains.

bettiniphoto_0435166_1_2000px.jpeg

Nice was to start the season. Could be a big year for him.

Hmm, could be, but in what way? Do you think he can improve on his 4th place in the Tour against a presumably very strong Tour field? He may find it difficult to withstand the brute force of the expeted Jumbo-Ineos(-Arkea) battle (the last one is toung in cheak, to be clear). On the other hand, third parties could profit if mistrust and the sole focus on each other end in a weird tactical situation. But from a purely athletical perspetive, I don't see a podium in France this July.
However, I could see him get a win in a WT one-week stage race, like Itzulia. He was already close last year and with a bit more luck that could be within reach.
Also, do we know something about Germany's selection for Olympics and Worlds? I heard Martin will not go to Japan.. Schachmann should be set for TT and RR, I assume Emu will also do the RR?

The tour podium this year will not be easy, but I don´t think that it´s totally unrealistic.

Last year he finished every WT stage race where he participated in the Top5. (Romandie: 7th , but there wasn´t a real mountain stage)

He began like Roglic very late with cycling so his development is still not totally finished. I´m very excited for the upcoming races where he will participate.

Last edited:
Also, do we know something about Germany's selection for Olympics and Worlds? I heard Martin will not go to Japan.. Schachmann should be set for TT and RR, I assume Emu will also do the RR?
I think Germany will nominate Buchmann for the olympics, too. But the problem for Buchmann to win a race like the Olympics is that he lacks on sprint capabilities, which will be important in the end. The best oportunities for Germany in the olympics will have Schachmann, I think.

TRENDING THREADS