• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Buchmann just did the Everest Challenge in Sölden, he did it in 7h 28min, to collect money for the German children's charity.
With everyone going crazy on volume durning their training right now (Aru going on a 9 hour training ride, Nibali joining him after 2 hours, Visconti going on an over 9h 40min long ride) it's probably not even a bad thing to do it right now.
Source: https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en/news/argonnews202005emurecord/argonnews202005emurecord/351403457
Hells 500, the currator of the challenge, has denied Buchmann his record:

View: https://www.facebook.com/hells500/posts/3877025525703169

Tour hope Emanuel Buchmann exclusive: "I'm not yet at the limit"

“I would have preferred to take the tour earlier, but of course that was not possible. The main thing is that the tour takes place at all. This is extremely important for cycling. The tour in September is then a bit of luck when it comes to the weather. I always prefer summer weather. But I also showed that I can now show good results in the rain. ”
... about his performance and his ambitions:
“I work very hard on myself. But I don't want too much at once. We have a very good plan. The training intensities are continuously increased and the altitude training works very well for me. I want to increase this in the next few years, I am not yet at the limit. "
... about the Olympic Games in 2021:
" Next year's Olympics is an issue. The course is said to be very difficult in Tokyo. If you get out of the Tour de France quite well and if luck comes to it, a lot is possible. ” Lennard Kämna and Emu Buchmann in Mallorca in January Photo: Gerhard Plomitzer The complete episode of the“ Eurosport Weekly Cycling Show ”can be found here:

Tour hope Emanuel Buchmann exclusive: "I'm not yet at the limit"

“I would have preferred to take the tour earlier, but of course that was not possible. The main thing is that the tour takes place at all. This is extremely important for cycling. The tour in September is then a bit of luck when it comes to the weather. I always prefer summer weather. But I also showed that I can now show good results in the rain. ”
... about his performance and his ambitions:
“I work very hard on myself. But I don't want too much at once. We have a very good plan. The training intensities are continuously increased and the altitude training works very well for me. I want to increase this in the next few years, I am not yet at the limit. "
... about the Olympic Games in 2021:
" Next year's Olympics is an issue. The course is said to be very difficult in Tokyo. If you get out of the Tour de France quite well and if luck comes to it, a lot is possible. ” Lennard Kämna and Emu Buchmann in Mallorca in January Photo: Gerhard Plomitzer The complete episode of the“ Eurosport Weekly Cycling Show ”can be found here:
Cold weather plus rain is what kills his legs, at least that's what he has said before durning the Tour of the Alpes.
Meanwhile Bora have started their training camp in Sölden.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...ripartenza-bora-hansgrohe-A�tztal-peter-sagan

Just talking about climbing ability he has a case for top 3 in the world based on 2019 and early 2020. Will be interesting to see how Bora manages the roster with him, Sagan and Ackermann. If they are serious about the GC they cannot bring a sprint train.
Yep, this will be a taff decicion for Bora. For 2021 they already assured Ackermann that he can ride his first TDF. Interesting will be the future role of Sagan in the team. With Buchmann, Schachmann and Ackermann the team has german world class riders for the GC, the Ardennes and sprint stages. The part where Sagan is still the sole leader in the team are the cobble classics.

Last edited:
Buchmann
Mühlberger
Konrad
Großschartner
Kämna
Schachmann
Sagan
Oss
Burghardt/ Selig
?

Schachmann could stage hunt, but also help out in the sprints a little bit.

I'm wondering what will Majka do? Anybody knows? Of course he could be a great helper in the mountains, but I very much doubt that. Giro? He could do very well in the Vuelta. + Pöstlberger?

Kämna isn't there in Austria, is he? They say it's not about who's going to be in the Tour, but I found that interesting nonetheless. Is it a mental thing, that's he'd rather stay at home, or a sign afterall? I would bring him to the tour for sure!

Buchmann
Mühlberger
Konrad
Großschartner
Kämna
Schachmann
Sagan
Oss
Burghardt/ Selig
?

I'm wondering what will Majka do? Anybody knows? Of course he could be a great helper in the mountains, but I very much doubt that. Giro? He could do very well in the Vuelta. + Pöstlberger?

Kämna isn't there in Austria, is he? They say it's not about who's going to be in the Tour, but I found that interesting nonetheless. Is it a mental thing, that's he'd rather stay at home, or a sign afterall? I would bring him to the tour for sure!
Konrad and Majka are doing the Giro iirc.

Buchmann
Mühlberger
Konrad
Großschartner
Kämna
Schachmann
Sagan
Oss
Burghardt/ Selig
?

The whole team is in Ötztal, including Kämna.

I'm actually very interested in seeing Majka at the Giro now that he is trained by Dan Lorang. Maybe he can find another level.

My guess for the Tour team would be:

Buchmann
Mühlberger
Kämna
Schachmann
Sagan
Oss
Burghardt
Großschartner/Pöstlberger

Großschartner has the edge I guess. Or maybe even someone like Burghardt misses the team.

Reactions: BlueRoads
The whole team is in Ötztal, including Kämna.

I'm actually very interested in seeing Majka at the Giro now that he is trained by Dan Lorang. Maybe he can find another level.

My guess for the Tour team would be:

Buchmann
Mühlberger
Kämna
Schachmann
Sagan
Oss
Burghardt
Großschartner/Pöstlberger

Großschartner has the edge I guess. Or maybe even someone like Burghardt misses the team.
I agree, that looks like a well balanced team with guys who can both help Sagan and the gc riders on the flat. The big advantage with Sagan is the fact the he doesn't need a real sprint train.

How good is he? Is he a potential TdF winner, a serious podium contender? Or is this years' Tour field too stacked? I have him somewhere in the Kruijswijk, Landa, Pogačar, MAL, Yates group right now. With Bernal, Roglič, Thomas, Pinot, potentially Dumoulin, potentially Froome and the new Nairo Quintana ahead of him. With Alaphilippe being somewhat of a joker like last year.

I think the potential is there, it is a question of whether things go right, and how they develop in general. Because he's not going to be so strong that no matter what he's in a league of his own or something. He will have a very strong team that does not get the attention it should in my opinion, and the strength of the other contenders will make him get underestimated regardless of his placing last year. But it's not in his nature and only slightly in his physiological abilities to really attack, I think. So if the others attack and he constantly follows the right ones, snatching a few seconds here and there on everyone by very small attacks, he might sneak his way to the podium.
That's my expectation. It will be very tough, though. In the end people will fall of their bikes, get sick and everything like every year, anyway. Also I am quite sure that the Tour will not be very controlled and that this will flush up even more unexpected names because the level at the top is so tight.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the potential is there, it is a question of whether things go right, and how they develop in general. Because he's not going to be so strong that no matter what he's in a league of his own or something. He will have a very strong team that does not get the attention it should in my opinion, and the strength of the other contenders will make him get underestimated regardless of his placing last year. But it's not in his nature and only slightly in his physiological abilities to really attack, I think. So if the others attack and he constantly follows the right ones, snatching a few seconds here and there on everyone by very small attacks, he might sneak his way to the podium.
That's my expectation. It will be very tough, though. In the end people will fall of their bikes, get sick and everything like every year, anyway. Also I am quite sure that the Tour will not be very controlled and that this will flush up even more unexpected names because the level at the top is so tight.

Contrary to his shy persona he has always been an attacking rider. If his shape is good and there is an opportunity I think he will try to attack. But yes, he is also probably the least explosive guy in the whole peloton, so thats not in his favour. He'll have to ride tempo to try shake guys off. Him and Lorang have been and probably still are working on his explosivity but it's not like he will be able to immediatlely jump on an explsove Roglic attack or anything.

I think we haven't seen his max level yet. According to him he and Lorang are still increasing his workload in training every new year. From that point his development is not over yet and I could see him continue to slightly improve over the next one or two years. If it'll be enough to win the TDF, I don't know. Competitors like Bernal and Roglic are also still improving. But he*ll be albe to feature for podiums and should be able to ride a Giro or Vuelta to win.

I think he'll finish higher than Landa, Lopez and Pogacar. But whether that means he'll be on the podium is a different matter. I'd say an outsider for a podium spot, somewhere between 3rd-6th i think is possible for him. I don't think he'll be able to win it. For that he needs to be able to drop everybody else, and given the fact that he doesn't have much kick, he won't be able to respond to attacks that a leader will endure. I think he could surf the coattails of the real favorites to get on the podium, but i'd still give some other riders better chances at that than him. If nobody crashes/gets sick.

I also think he is still able to improve his performance. He started cycling late. I don't see him winning the Tour de France but nothing is impossible. He really likes to attack, unfortunately that strategy is really risky for him at the Tour de France. He is a rider who can hang on the Ineos Train nearly until the end at top shape. That would be a good and but boring strategy for him to have a shot for the podium. Last year the Ineos Train wasn't really at its best and I don't know if they are counting on the stragey this year.
I would like to see an aggressive Buchmann in top shape even if that strategy costs him some places.

Tomorrow he will start his first race since the UAE, where he crashed and the lockdown.
I´m curious about his form.

He says before the race:
"It will be important for me to make good use of these racing kilometers, so I want to make the most of them"
"There is certainly no reluctance, even if this might not be optimal for the result in the race. This should be a real test, and you can take some risks."

Really interested to see how he performs. At last years tour he was, together with Pinaut, the second best climber after Bernal. This year Tour is the perfect set-up for him.
Also interesting to see how Bora will do against the Ineos and TVJ juggernauts. With Mühlberger, Kämna and Schachmann he should have good support.

Tomorrow he will start his first race since the UAE, where he crashed and the lockdown.
I´m curious about his form.

He says before the race:
"It will be important for me to make good use of these racing kilometers, so I want to make the most of them"
"There is certainly no reluctance, even if this might not be optimal for the result in the race. This should be a real test, and you can take some risks."
So we should expect him to test his legs and not just sit in the back of the group, i hope.

TRENDING THREADS