• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

End Professional Cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad Elephant Man said:
It is not the same logic. Think about it and you will see the two cases are not the same.

So if we end Professional Cycling today... what exactly do we achieve? There's no doping in professional cycling anymore, but we haven't caught the enablers, the doctors et al. The doping rings will move on to the next sap sport, maybe athletics again, rugby, weightlifting, boxing, Nordic skiing, triathlon, swimming, football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, rowing, tennis... anywhere, except cycling, because there's no cycling anymore.

To what end have we got rid of professional cycling? What is the goal?

It reminds me of Flight of the Conchords.

"There is no more unethical treatment of the elephants!"
"Well, there are no more elephants"
"Oh yes, well, true"
"Finally, robotic beings rule the world. The humans are dead!"

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So if we end Professional Cycling today... what exactly do we achieve? There's no doping in professional cycling anymore, but we haven't caught the enablers, the doctors et al. The doping rings will move on to the next sap sport, maybe athletics again, rugby, weightlifting, boxing, Nordic skiing, triathlon, swimming, football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, rowing, tennis... anywhere, except cycling, because there's no cycling anymore.

To what end have we got rid of professional cycling? What is the goal?

It reminds me of Flight of the Conchords.

"There is no more unethical treatment of the elephants!"
"Well, there are no more elephants"
"Oh yes, well, true"
"Finally, robotic beings rule the world. The humans are dead!"

Stop all sport then.

Mad Elephant Man said:
It is not the same logic. Think about it and you will see the two cases are not the same.

Mad Elephant Man said:
Again your comparison is flawed. I wonder if you can work out why.

Mad Elephant Man said:
The comparison is flawed.

Mad Elephant Man said:
Stop all sport then.

We have our answer. Should do wonders for the world's health. Flawless.:rolleyes:

Gotta dash. The Tour of Qatar is on in 10 minutes.:cool:

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
We have our answer. Should do wonders for the world's health. Flawless.:rolleyes:

Gotta dash. The Tour of Qatar is on in 10 minutes.:cool:

The last quote you quoted has nothing to do with the other ones you quoted.

The reason is the comparison between a patient dying (of cancer) and stopping professional cycling is flawed is because when a patient dies there is no coming back. It is permanent, death is permanent. On the other hand professional cycling could restart at some point in the future, it is a temporary thing. Likening a permanent thing to a temporary is just not right.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:

The reason is the comparison between a patient dying (of cancer) and stopping professional cycling is flawed is because when a patient dies there is no coming back. It is permanent, death is permanent. On the other hand professional cycling could restart at some point in the future, it is a temporary thing. Likening a permanent thing to a temporary is just not right.

Semantics, it isn't necessary for an analogy to be exact. Do you really think that it could be just started up at the click of a finger? Get real!

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Semantics, it isn't necessary for an analogy to be exact. Do you really think that it could be just started up at the click of a finger? Get real!

Semantics = I am correct.
Of course I don't think it could be started up at the click of a finger.
If you can find where I said it could be started up the click of a finger I will give you all the money I can lay my hands on, although it will not be much.
That is the point, get rid of the bad and rebuild it better without those involved who have destroyed the sport. At the moment we have people like Riis, Vaughters, Ekimov and Stephens, to name but a few who have been dopers, involved in running teams. Unacceptable.

Then u think that after the pause cycling will be clean??
Mad Elephant Man said:

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:

Sport, any sport will not be completely clean.
However cycling has gone beyond being the odd cheat, it has corrupted its core. There is nothing worth saving. The sport is riddled with dopers who have succumbed once or many times and cannot be trusted not to succumb again. It needs a new generation of administrators, team managers and cyclists who are separated from what has happened. To continue with what is cycling today is to continue with the failures of the past and any attempt to purge the past is doomed to failures..

Eshnar said:

No.
I think he's saying that pro cycling is incurable and therefore should disappear, for ever. (not that amateurs don't dope, too)
i.e. cycling = terminal cancer.

Mad Elephant Man said:

I notice that M E M doesn't appear as online.
Maybe that should tell us something.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
No.
I think he's saying that pro cycling is incurable and therefore should disappear, for ever. (not that amateurs don't dope, too)
i.e. cycling = terminal cancer.

Not for ever

EDITED to remove an unfair statement about Mellow Velo.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Where do we get unimpeachable professional cycling managers and DSs from
to do an experienced job?

Apparently all that's needed is to wait a decade or two and that will sort it all out. Pure fantasyland stuff.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

What it should tell is that I have gone into my User CP.
I have then gone to the Edit Options section on the the left hand side under Settings and Options.
I have then ticked the first option Use Invisible Mode.
The description of what Invisible Mode says,
Invisible mode allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.

So no mystery as to why I am not on the list, I have chosen to not be on the list. Just like I have disabled private messaging so no one can private message me.

Sorry moderators for going off topic but hopefully users are more educated on the options available to them.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I would have, had it been posted before I replied.
Until the last post, you appeared.........unclear.

Where do we get unimpeachable professional cycling managers and DSs from
to do an experienced job?

Good question.

Mad Elephant Man said:
The comparison is flawed.
How about "it's like using antibiotics to cure an infection" then?

3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Apparently all that's needed is to wait a decade or two and that will sort it all out. Pure fantasyland stuff.

all that's needed. You have got to be joking. It would need a huge amount of work, it would be a massive thing to do, it would require lots of dedicated committed people to take cycling from an amateur sport to a professional sport again. So all that's needed is not just wait a decade or two, what is needed is HARD WORK and HARD WORKERS.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
How about "it's like using antibiotics to cure an infection" then?

3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

If any medical analogy comes close it is like a heart replacement. I don't really like that either, still flawed but better than any of the others put up in this thread.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mad Elephant Man said:
all that's needed. You have got to be joking. It would need a huge amount of work, it would be a massive thing to do, it would require lots of dedicated committed people to take cycling from an amateur sport to a professional sport again. So all that's needed is not just wait a decade or two, what is needed is HARD WORK and HARD WORKERS.

Then why get rid of the sport (or all sport) for a decade or two? Find the hard workers and do the hard work now. What is going to be so magical about the future that will make these people and ideas more available than they are already?

The whole 'get rid of sport' concept is so inept and stupid that it really makes it hard to take anything you write in this thread as serious. I can understand why others have written that you are trolling even if you don't think you are. You just haven't thought about this at any length.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Then why get rid of the sport (or all sport) for a decade or two? Find the hard workers and do the hard work now. What is going to be so magical about the future that will make these people and ideas more available than they are now.

The whole 'get rid of sport' concept is so inept and stupid that it really makes it hard to take anything you write in this thread as serious. I can understand why others have written that you are trolling even if you don't think you are. You just haven't thought about this at any length.

The vast majority of the people who would be willing to work are corrupt. Anything started now would involved people who have corrupted themselves.
Yeah there are a few good people around but most are just cheats, liars, corrupt individuals who have ruined the sport.
The decade or two was not fixed in stone, maybe a few years. I do not know but cycling must remove itself from the generation that ruined the sport to recover.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Look in the end when I look back at my life I seem to always get things wrong. Maybe this is just another thing I have got wrong. If I have, sorry. I am just putting view my point of view on things, if you think I am wrong tell me and I will think about it some more. I have a low quality brain, sure most of you are far smarter than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS