• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enjoy the Ride

I was out for a ride at the end of a sleep deprived, brutal week, not feeling too great but glad to be on the dirt. As I turned up the main climb on this loop I see a rider about 300 meters up the trail. Ah, good a target to motivate me up the climb. It took me most of the climb to catch him. When I got behind him I saw that this six foot tall guy was riding a small (maybe 15") mid '90s bike with the seat pretty low that allowed less than half leg extension. He was wearing cargo pants, old jogging shoes, and a skate helmet. In my head I'm wondering: "am I that tired?" I went around him, flew across a cool traverse onto the most technical downhill in the lower front. I absolutely railed the DH! The trail I took at the bottom gave me a view of most of the lower part of the DH I just did, and what do I see? That guy is maybe 30 seconds back! I slowed down and he rode up to me. I told him how cool it was that he was absolutely tearing it up, and asked him if he was a pro incognito. He said that he had never been a pro but did a few races as an expert in the '90s. He tries to ride at least twice a week, but he can only afford to have one bike for he and son to share! I wish I had the extra cash to buy the guy a bike! I hope to see him on the trails again!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cool tail . Funny how we think he needs a bike and we wish we could do something about it on our own. I see so many kids that should be riding that when I see someone doing it but on the wring bike I really want them to have the bike they need.

Back in the late 70s, there was a pro motocrosser named Bob 'Hurricane' Hannah, who was setting the world on fire. Took his first of three US championships at age 19. I once read a story he'd written about a particular day when he'd gone out into the SoCal desert, to his remote and 'secret' test area, for a training ride. Before heading out on his tricked-out works Yamaha, he stopped by a small desert shop and eat-in to stock up on cheesy comestibles and fizzy drink before starting his day's work.

Also in the luncheon area was some grizzled old dinosaur wearing well-worn, old-fashioned leather mx riding kit (as opposed to the Hurricane's SOTA nylon garb) and having a sarnie and a Coke. Bob sussed him out and decided he must be the rider of the decrepit old Bultaco mx-er he'd passed leaned up against the front of the building as he entered, so he thought to follow the old codger when he left out, just to take a bit of the pizz out of him.

Or at least that was the plan. Before the Hurricane could overtake him, the old man heard him coming and twisted the tail on his antique motorbike, and he was suddenly "gone with the wind." Hannah pursued until nearly out of petrol, but he never was able to overtake him.

Back at the desert store, gobsmacked, Bob asked the clerk who the rider of the old Bultaco might have been.

"He's that movie actor fella. Comes in here all the time. McQueen, I think he is."

"Steve McQueen?"

"Yeah, he's the one."

And as if being outpaced by a rat bike wasn't insult enough, McQueen outweighed the Hurricane by a good 25 years.

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
Back in the late 70s, there was a pro motocrosser named Bob 'Hurricane' Hannah, who was setting the world on fire. Took his first of three US championships at age 19. I once read a story he'd written about a particular day when he'd gone out into the SoCal desert, to his remote and 'secret' test area, for a training ride. Before heading out on his tricked-out works Yamaha, he stopped by a small desert shop and eat-in to stock up on cheesy comestibles and fizzy drink before starting his day's work.

Also in the luncheon area was some grizzled old dinosaur wearing well-worn, old-fashioned leather mx riding kit (as opposed to the Hurricane's SOTA nylon garb) and having a sarnie and a Coke. Bob sussed him out and decided he must be the rider of the decrepit old Bultaco mx-er he'd passed leaned up against the front of the building as he entered, so he thought to follow the old codger when he left out, just to take a bit of the pizz out of him.

Or at least that was the plan. Before the Hurricane could overtake him, the old man heard him coming and twisted the tail on his antique motorbike, and he was suddenly "gone with the wind." Hannah pursued until nearly out of petrol, but he never was able to overtake him.

Back at the desert store, gobsmacked, Bob asked the clerk who the rider of the old Bultaco might have been.

"He's that movie actor fella. Comes in here all the time. McQueen, I think he is."

"Steve McQueen?"

"Yeah, he's the one."

And as if being outpaced by a rat bike wasn't insult enough, McQueen outweighed the Hurricane by a good 25 years.

I've ridden bikes with and without motors with Bob here in Idaho. When I say 'with' on motos, I mean way behind (more every lap). I chased him at Carlsbad for about 10 feet one time. ;)

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes, a little understanding can bring the greatest change.
What you thought was just beautiful.
If everybody of us has the identical thought in every aspect of life, maybe there will exist no grievance.....

CRAZY day on the Boise trails today! I was out for some dirt before the rain and there are two motorcycles on the trail (no motor area) so I waved one down to let them know. Its was a cop on a his huge BMW. He told me that a man shot a dog, shot at hikers/runners, and is shooting at Police! I decided that it was a good day to ride somewhere else! The gunman eventually died (I'm not sure yet if he sot himself or if police did). I had a great ride, but I must admit to being somewhat uneasy.

Side note: I test rode a Triumph Street Twin at Triumph Ride Day this afternoon. Looks, sounds, and rides great! The Ninja may need to move out of the garage!

I put new tires on my rig this morning. Its amazing how much better new tires work. :) Better cornering, acceleration, braking...

I saw this guy while I was out riding today: https://www.cafemule.com/ The mule, Richard, minds like a dog, the guy just puts his arm out, snaps his fingers, and the mule moves off to that side. Its a fun idea!

I've done my part to help wildlife two days in a row now. Yesterday a mama duck and her seven tiny lings were crossing a road so I stopped cars and one douche on a bike so that they could get across. Once they got across I made sure they made it to water before I rode off. I hope that they are OK. Today, I was following a lame coyote up the trail. I kept thinking that he would move off of the trail, but decided that maybe his hurt paw was making him think that he needed to stay on the trail so I stopped. He immediately laid down. That's not good. I let him relax for a minute, and even thought about digging a hole to put water in. Some riders were coming from the other direction so he got up, limped over the hill, and laid under a big sage clump. I hope that he is OK too!

I took a digger yesterday and its amazing how many little tender spots I have today! I backed off since I quit racing so my risk level is lower, but: I stood up to give a quick pedal stroke over a rise out of a creek, but my chain had hopped in the rock section just prior, and I went over the bars and over the edge of the trail. The most tender is the head of my quad that hammered the bars on the way over. I did an easy spin today to work the kinks out.

Today I rode a trail that I have ridden 100s of times. At the top it has a steep section with several large earthen erosion barriers. You can really launch if you let it rip, or go slower and just roll them. I had a tail wind and it pushed me a little faster than I expected, on the largest of the humps I really launched and was looped up and crossed up...not a good combo. I was able to get pretty close to squared up, but my front wheel was still in tall wheelie mode for the landing. I was able to manual a bit, but it was still a pretty heavy slap down. Fortunately I rode away, granted with my chamois pinched up a bit! :eek:

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Went out on a ride on the Burke Gilman Trail which is ok but I stopped off at Matthews beach park and these guys were giving me a hard time about my Garmin kit but I'm not sure they were not really just a bunch of drug addicts. It was a bit depressing for the rest of my ride.

Re:

Sue White said:
Went out on a ride on the Burke Gilman Trail which is ok but I stopped off at Matthews beach park and these guys were giving me a hard time about my Garmin kit but I'm not sure they were not really just a bunch of drug addicts. It was a bit depressing for the rest of my ride.
I ride on that path quite a bit and stop off at Matthews beach to cool off on hot summer days. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone else on this forum speak about one of my local rides... :)

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
It is a nice ride on most days. I used to ride much more out in Redmond. Since I lost my job at Nintendo, my cycling has been more close to my home area. These rides are often interrupted by the homeless but I'm glad maybe the city have started to clean some of this out. It is an epidemic here in Seattle.

Re:

Sue White said:
It is a nice ride on most days. I used to ride much more out in Redmond. Since I lost my job at Nintendo, my cycling has been more close to my home area. These rides are often interrupted by the homeless but I'm glad maybe the city have started to clean some of this out. It is an epidemic here in Seattle.
Interesting... I've never had my ride interrupted by any of the large homeless population in the Seattle area but I see them 'shooting up' on the side of the Interurban trail all the time and have been a little worried at times of being attacked while riding by but usually I'm going way too fast for them to notice me much.

With the Interurban trail going through some of the more seedy areas north of downtown Seattle the homeless seem to have taken over some of the wooded areas along the trail which can get a little gross if you stop to take in the scenery. I agree that homelessness is an epidemic and will get worse if we allow monitored shooting galleries like they've had in Vancouver BC. Since the legalization of weed and the complete disregard for upholding any other drug laws, Seattle has become the mecca for homeless drug addicts from all over the US. There are sheriffs from California buying one-way bus tickets for their homeless drug addicts with a destination of Seattle because we won't send them back, we encourage it by letting people shoot heroin in plain sight and *** and piss anywhere they want. It's disgusting... This is just my opinion based on what I've seen and heard, although the story about sheriffs sending their homeless up here is documented by King 5 news. :confused:

Man I've neglected this thread! I enjoy every ride though so you would get sick of me repeating myself! :) This year has been spectacular for raptor watching on rides! Today there was a steady 20 mph wind with gusts in the 40 mph 'hood (my face is a little raw). The hawks and kestrels were amazing!

TRENDING THREADS