• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tour-Vuelta by far the two biggest races on the calendar for Movistar and Mas has shown the ability to consistently peak for both races. He has shown this spring and last Vuelta has he has taken another step and is a legitimately potential Vuelta-winner and a top3/top5 rider in the Tour. If anything, I think his Vuelta-chances decreases when not riding the Tour as it seems he has been better in both Vueltas compared to the Tour so far, so I cannot see how you'd change the schedule up - especially considering the rest of the roster as well.

Reactions: perico
Movistar seemed to care about the Giro when they had GT leaders to spare. Not anymore for the time being. Whatever they got in the past with Osa, Arroyo, Intxausti or Amador was just the result of sending what they had at hand to fill the job and hope for the best.
They sent Valverde only after he had got his TDF podium and Quintana had been delivering for 3 seasons. I can't see them dealing with Mas differently.

Movistar seemed to care about the Giro when they had GT leaders to spare. Not anymore for the time being. Whatever they got in the past with Osa, Arroyo, Intxausti or Amador was just the result of sending what they had at hand to fill the job and hope for the best.
They sent Valverde only after he had got his TDF podium and Quintana had been delivering for 3 seasons. I can't see them dealing with Mas differently.

Exactly. The 2020 squad easily shows it: when they really have to chose, Giro gets the leftover, that squad look not only among the weakests they have sent to the grand tour, but also look to fit the bottom quarter of the weakests in that Giro, and probably also among the weakest they sent anywhere all year, it barely looks like a WT team squad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I am a little bit disappointed about Enric today. No one says he‘s bad, but he does not really develop or improve the way everyone expected.

Potentially, he could be a rider for the podium of the TdF, but this year, even Top-10 won’t be easy to achieve.

Maybe it was a weaker day after the rest day. I hope he‘ll show what he’s capable of within the next two days… :)

I am a little bit disappointed about Enric today. No one says he‘s bad, but he does not really develop or improve the way everyone expected.

Potentially, he could be a rider for the podium of the TdF, but this year, even Top-10 won’t be easy to achieve.

Maybe it was a weaker day after the rest day. I hope he‘ll show what he’s capable of within the next two days… :)

Relax, he is just training for Vuelta, his main objective of the season.

Almost NOBODY develops and improves as expected because there so many promising riders that we fantasize about turning into the next multiple GT winner. There aren't that many GT victories to go around.

He's developed his inconsistency. On a good day he can keep up with the 3 best climbers in the race, like Luz Ardiden last year or Alpe d'Huez his year. He's a poor descender but he's being dropped on the climbs earlier than in previous years.
His ITT went backwards when he moved to Movistar. He's never been anywhere close to the top 10 he got in the 2019 TDF ITT.
And he's been overtaken in GC by several riders who don't climb as well as him but know how to get into breaks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's developed his inconsistency. On a good day he can keep up with the 3 best climbers in the race, like Luz Ardiden last year or Alpe d'Huez his year. He's a poor descender but he's being dropped on the climbs earlier than in previous years.
His ITT went backwards when he moved to Movistar. He's never been anywhere close to the top 10 he got in the 2019 TDF ITT.
And he's been overtaken in GC by several riders who don't climb as well as him but know how to get into breaks.
No offense to Mas he's doing his best but I am happy to see Nairo rubbing Unzué's nose in it. I think Mas suffers by Contador's praise of him. That set unrealistic expectations.

I wonder how much of the disappointed performance in the tour that can be explained by his many crashes this season.
He looked very good in Tirreno and Itulzia before crashing in both races, maybe better than in similar spring races previous years. Then his Dauphine was also ruined by crashes.
If he can finish the tour and then do his Vuelta prep without any crashes, I expect him to be a lot better than he has been in the Tour so far.

TRENDING THREADS