• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, Mas seems to be in the shape he needs. I however felt for him yesterday. He desperately tried to keep Remco‘s wheel, and Mas‘ face told us that he (Mas) suffered like hardly ever before. Remco rode so fastly that Enric really had to endure some serious pain.

It‘s Enric‘s time to succeed, now. Ayuso isn‘t stronger, yet - but Ayuso is chasing Enric, before he (Ayuso) takes over as Spain‘s GC guy #1… :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
No one writes about Enric Mas, so his thread was on page #3…

He is a little bit like Zubeldia, but a stronger rider. He is nearly invisible most of the time, and hardly ever attacks.

Question is, can he beat Remco, and win this Vuelta on Sunday? I think his chances aren‘t that good… But Enric Mas certainly won‘t want to become 2nd in Vuelta final GC for the third time. Now it‘s time for Valverde - maybe, with all his experience, he has a solution to make Remco still lose this Vuelta. Movistar, Valverde and Enric Mas will do anything they can to get Mas the first rank in this Vuelta‘s final GC.

It‘s in Spain, the Vuelta is Spain‘s GT. Mas, Valverde and Movistar are Spanish. Maybe they (Movistar, Mas) can attack Quick-Step and Remco in the next days. If Mas proves to be weaker than Remco, then Movistar could still make Remco lose this Vuelta. Or leave this Vuelta, even.

Great days ahead of us, until Sunday! :)

• Wow
No one writes about Enric Mas, so his thread was on page #3…

He is a little bit like Zubeldia, but a stronger rider. He is nearly invisible most of the time, and hardly ever attacks.

Question is, can he beat Remco, and win this Vuelta on Sunday? I think his chances aren‘t that good… But Enric Mas certainly won‘t want to become 2nd in Vuelta final GC for the third time. Now it‘s time for Valverde - maybe, with all his experience, he has a solution to make Remco still lose this Vuelta. Movistar, Valverde and Enric Mas will do anything they can to get Mas the first rank in this Vuelta‘s final GC.

It‘s in Spain, the Vuelta is Spain‘s GT. Mas, Valverde and Movistar are Spanish. Maybe they (Movistar, Mas) can attack Quick-Step and Remco in the next days. If Mas proves to be weaker than Remco, then Movistar could still make Remco lose this Vuelta. Or leave this Vuelta, even.

Great days ahead of us, until Sunday! :)
With this 3rd week?

No.

Reactions: Cookster15
With this 3rd week?

No.
Whilst I don't think Enric Mas is a chance of beating Remco, I actually think this 3rd week parcours keeps Mas closer? Had it been a tougher 3rd week he would surely leak more time.

Having said this, it seems Mas is the best Haimar Zubeldia I have ever seen. Zubeldia never podiumed a grand tour and now Mas should have 3 in the bag by Sunday. Maybe in 2023 he can snare a TdF podium?

Whilst I don't think Enric Mas is a chance of beating Remco, I actually think this 3rd week parcours keeps Mas closer? Had it been a tougher 3rd week he would surely leak more time.

Having said this, it seems Mas is the best Haimar Zubeldia I have ever seen. Zubeldia never podiumed a grand tour and now Mas should have 3 in the bag by Sunday. Maybe in 2023 he can snare a TdF podium?
I don’t see it—how can you be a Zubeldia when he is one of the 3 guys in the elite GC group at the top of some of the climbs. He might not be doing much but it’s pretty clear he’s right there.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
He has tried everything he can so far. He bonked a bit on Les Praeres, the ITT and La Pandera, going a bit above his limits, and did a great attack on Sierra Nevada. I don't know what more you could have expected so far - Remco as just been stronger. There are 2 dangerous stages left, and I hope and think he will try something at least on stage 20, but remember, he has crashed so much this year and his descending was horrible doing TdF, and Movistar is in trouble points-wise, so the wisest thing might just to have 2nd place as the main objective and only strike if theres obvious weakness from Remco.

He receives a lot of unnessacary flag though, as if people don't have any clue to what his skillset actually is. Mas just cannot attack like Pogacar does all the time because that would be highly ineffective. He has ridden a great race so far and maximized his chances of the highest possible placing, and has tried to really go for it, but as I mentioned he has showed to have limits on at least these 3 stages, and had a rough time even hanging on Remco on the first few MTFs.

Its a shame this week isn't harder, but we all knew that. If the Sierra Nevada stage wasn't altered, I think we are talking a lesser time gap to Remco, but with this 2 min gap, I cannot see a world where Mas somehow wins this race.

He has tried everything he can so far. He bonked a bit on Les Praeres, the ITT and La Pandera, going a bit above his limits, and did a great attack on Sierra Nevada. I don't know what more you could have expected so far - Remco as just been stronger. There are 2 dangerous stages left, and I hope and think he will try something at least on stage 20, but remember, he has crashed so much this year and his descending was horrible doing TdF, and Movistar is in trouble points-wise, so the wisest thing might just to have 2nd place as the main objective and only strike if theres obvious weakness from Remco.

He receives a lot of unnessacary flag though, as if people don't have any clue to what his skillset actually is. Mas just cannot attack like Pogacar does all the time because that would be highly ineffective. He has ridden a great race so far and maximized his chances of the highest possible placing, and has tried to really go for it, but as I mentioned he has showed to have limits on at least these 3 stages, and had a rough time even hanging on Remco on the first few MTFs.

Its a shame this week isn't harder, but we all knew that. If the Sierra Nevada stage wasn't altered, I think we are talking a lesser time gap to Remco, but with this 2 min gap, I cannot see a world where Mas somehow wins this race.

Add to his horrible descending is that he's crashed on descents a couple of times this year and that's made him even worse. Something he's admitted. The last thing he or the team needs is for him to crash out of la Vuelta.

This is a very good point, the riders all knew where the big stages were going in. The chances to take big time on Evenepoel were last weekend, and they did what they could. They got somewhat lucky he'd crashed and that seems to have hampered him somewhat. It was always going to be tough to dislodge him if he had minutes going into the final weekend. Mas has ridden an excellent race, but he couldn't make up the TT losses and the losses from the first climbs. He could still win but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

I don’t see it—how can you be a Zubeldia when he is one of the 3 guys in the elite GC group at the top of some of the climbs. He might not be doing much but it’s pretty clear he’s right there.
Myths tend to become stronger over the years, but not Zubeldia one. Nowadays it seems like winning/leading the GC, winning a stage or attacking 200 times is the only way to not be seen as a Zubeldia. Only a blind person can claim Mas has been invisible this Vuelta.

He has tried everything he can so far. He bonked a bit on Les Praeres, the ITT and La Pandera, going a bit above his limits, and did a great attack on Sierra Nevada. I don't know what more you could have expected so far - Remco as just been stronger.

I think it's also telling that people complain about Mas being a defensive rider when in reality have lost time on 2 MTFs because he was way too agressive. Both on Praeres and Pandera he would have finished a lot faster if he had gone for his own more steady pace - but he lost time because he tried following the attacks of Remco and of Primoz in the steep parts. If he played it more defensive in these key moments he would likely be about 30-45 seconds closer to Remco.

Reactions: Koronin

In this race one can't hold much against him. But in general I think Guillaume Martin has a not too different skillset and is a much more entertaining rider. Maybe it's easier for Martin because he knows he's not going to win a GT, whereas Mas is in that area of "possibly", which makes him strive for it.

For the future Mas needs to work on his time trialing again which was much better when he was at QS, so does the whole team. Mathematically he'd be leading the race now if it wasn't for the time trialing (although Evenepoel might then have attacked more and thing might have been different, but, well).

Myths tend to become stronger over the years, but not Zubeldia one. Nowadays it seems like winning/leading the GC, winning a stage or attacking 200 times is the only way to not be seen as a Zubeldia. Only a blind person can claim Mas has been invisible this Vuelta.

I think it's also telling that people complain about Mas being a defensive rider when in reality have lost time on 2 MTFs because he was way too agressive. Both on Praeres and Pandera he would have finished a lot faster if he had gone for his own more steady pace - but he lost time because he tried following the attacks of Remco and of Primoz in the steep parts. If he played it more defensive in these key moments he would likely be about 30-45 seconds closer to Remco.

Trying to follow attacks is not aggressive riding, though.

wtf is that supposed to mean?

Movistar could use some connections to make Remco test positive for Covid, or even make him crash „accidentally“… Maybe with support of experienced Oliveira or Rojas (Erviti isn‘t in this Vuelta). Just doing to Remco what QS recently did to Wellens of Lotto.

Movistar certainly have no reputation of unfair riding, but it‘s the Vuelta again, and Mas is threatened to become second in GC again… So in Spain, a Spanish team like Movistar wouldn‘t get sanctioned that quickly. Just like QS doesn‘t get sanctioned in Belgium, for bad behaviour.

Let‘s hope everything stays fair, because all in all it was a great Vuelta and Remco would be a deserved winner… :)

I think maybe Mas suffers by the expectations placed upon him by Contador as the next big Spanish star? Sure an imminent 3rd Vuelta runner up is nothing to be sneezed at but Zubeldia comparison is because he rarely shows himself yet ends up high on GC after three weeks. Apparently Mas made one good attack this Vuelta? I am in an unfavourable time zone so maybe for those of us who can’t watch the Vuelta live missed those moments?

As we know Contador himself was an aggressive rider who could attack spectacularly even if he wasn’t feeling great. Mas has never been close to this (few have) but he’s been around long enough to show us if he was capable. If Alberto hadn't placed such expectations upon him maybe nothing would be said?

I think Mas is the kind of gc rider who benefits from hard multi-muntain stages (if he's at his best). Skillwise he reminds me of Kruijswijk. Movistar should probably try to have him ride Giro-Vuelta once, but for that to happen they'd need to sign another legit gt rider for the Tour...
He also seems to get stronger (this year and last year) in his second GT of the year. Maybe go for the win at the Giro (a winnable race for a rider like Mas since neither Pogacar or Jonas are likely to target it and the fact that the Tour/Vuelta double seems much more popular these days), and then ride the Tdf. Of course, Movistar would need another Spanish rider capable of contesting the Vuelta.

Movistar could use some connections to make Remco test positive for Covid, or even make him crash „accidentally“… Maybe with support of experienced Oliveira or Rojas (Erviti isn‘t in this Vuelta). Just doing to Remco what QS recently did to Wellens of Lotto.

Movistar certainly have no reputation of unfair riding, but it‘s the Vuelta again, and Mas is threatened to become second in GC again… So in Spain, a Spanish team like Movistar wouldn‘t get sanctioned that quickly. Just like QS doesn‘t get sanctioned in Belgium, for bad behaviour.

Let‘s hope everything stays fair, because all in all it was a great Vuelta and Remco would be a deserved winner… :)
giphy.gif

I think Mas is the kind of gc rider who benefits from hard multi-muntain stages (if he's at his best). Skillwise he reminds me of Kruijswijk. Movistar should probably try to have him ride Giro-Vuelta once, but for that to happen they'd need to sign another legit gt rider for the Tour...
No problem, there are a lot of talented spaniards out there and Movistar is the only Spanish team on the WT.

Wait.. you're telling me Ayuso signed until 2028? I didn't even know that was a number. Well, then there's the next best thing Carlos Rodriguez, another great talent of Spain. But... wait.. you're telling me he's signed for Ineos?

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS