• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
How good is it? As a recreational rider would I benefit from a dose? Would like to hear from anyone who has used it. Seriously I have no intention of using it, I wouldn't know how to source it but I would like to understand the degree of benefit/improvement it provides.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:
How good is it? As a recreational rider would I benefit from a dose? Would like to hear from anyone who has used it. Seriously I have no intention of using it, I wouldn't know how to source it but I would like to understand the degree of benefit/improvement it provides.

I think it was David Millar who said that EPO won't increase your maximum output, but it will allow you to increase the time that you can ride at or near your maximum output. So you can maintain peak power much longer... seems like a serious advantage to me to anyone who rides at their limit.

Better check to see if it's a controlled substance in your neck of the woods first.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Several studies have shown an increase of around 10-15 % in aerobic performance due to EPO use in trained, but not elite cyclists. Contrary to what Millar says there's also evidence it increases max output, or at least VO2Max.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Better check to see if it's a controlled substance in your neck of the woods first.

Seriously? Why would this be a controlled substance, it doesn't get you high, and isn't used by teenagers or ravers.

I'm pretty sure you can order it off the internet with a credit card, from kind of sketchy websites... I bet I could order some in 5 minutes or less if I really wanted to. I'm too scared by the stories of people dying in their sleep because their blood was too thick to be pumped, lol. :( :( :( RIPTopsport Vlaandren kid..

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Because no foreign substances were involved, blood packing was considered legal, if unethical. At the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, eight U.S. cyclists, including gold medalist Alexis Grewal, gave themselves transfusions of previously frozen packed blood inside their hotel rooms before competing in the 118-mile road race. The International Olympic Committee tested the riders, detected the doping, and briefly covered up the results before announcing, in 1985, that new rules were being written to ban any "artificial" means of altering one's blood chemistry.

Was just reading this Outside article. How did they detect autologous blood transfusion?? I heard they are still working on that test today...

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
Was just reading this Outside article. How did they detect autologous blood transfusion?? I heard they are still working on that test today...

It doesn't say it was autologous. Since it wasn't illegal they could have used another persons blood without problems. It's much easier that way, the only downside is the detectability.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:

Start with something relatively innocuous like Provigil.

$hit costs like 15 bucks each for a 200mg? pill.

Take a half. It will make you a different person.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Start with something relatively innocuous like Provigil.

$hit costs like 15 bucks each for a 200mg? pill.

Take a half. It will make you a different person.

I met some British SAS guys once at a bar halfways to India. They were on leave from Iraq, drinking and gassing it up.

Discussion about sport, Premier League, etc. Topic of PEDS, led to them explaining the use of Alertex, or some such name, which when I looked it up was modafinil, a "mild" stimulant (as they put it).

Funny time. They said it was a very good, positive high, like super coffee but with no nausea or jittery anxiousness. Just that super vibrant alert feeling for about a day and a half, which was usually the duration of their task patrols. Some complained of being extra thirsty but after a solid nights rest, they were clear and felt no dependence or urge for more.

I asked where I could find some! Ranks on my all-time conversation list.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
After reading that outdoor article it seemed like the conclusion of the writer was "HGH and Test Cream don't seem too bad at all!!' the doctor made it seem like HGH and test cream was very mild with little side effects, hell, anyone know a good internet site for this stuff?? it's time i won a couple cat 4 races, lol.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:

The whole point of EPO is a quality of life issue. It's perscribed to patients to for it's anti-anemic capabilities. So, if you have anemia, it would help. If you spend a little time searching the internet, you'll find physicians out there advocating it for use in everyday life to improve you "vim and vigor."

However, I'd caution that this isn't a toy and it's not to be played with. The product does what it says it does and it can be fatally dangerous. If you're honestly considering using it, seek professional advice. Understand that most professionals will advise against it and probably refuse to assist you.