• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Equipe FDJ - Official Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why Scotson the least French?

Based on his name he is probably of British descent, and at the very least, Australian culture was heavily influenced by the British culture, which was heavily influenced by the French culture due to the Norman invasion.

I think that makes him more French than Ludvigsson, Valter and Konovalovas.

I would probably rate Valter the least French because he is the only one on the list who doesn't speak an Indo-European language natively.

Also, Konovalovas has ridden with the team since forever, so his frenchyness is not too small.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why Scotson the least French?

Based on his name he is probably of British descent, and at the very least, Australian culture was heavily influenced by the British culture, which was heavily influenced by the French culture due to the Norman invasion.

I think that makes him more French than Ludvigsson, Valter and Konovalovas.

I would probably rate Valter the least French because he is the only one on the list who doesn't speak an Indo-European language natively.

I was mostly looking at (physical) distance, but I see your point.

Also, Konovalovas has ridden with the team since forever, so his frenchyness is not too small.

You're saying he has absorbed Frenchyness over the years?

I guess Benjamin Thomas also looks like quite an English name...

Last edited:
Seems they asked for an extension to the time-cut for Démare, unsuccessful as we know but he'll be doing the Vuelta.

We continue the Tour without our sprinter Arnaud Démare who didn't make the time cut in Tignes. He did everything he could.

There was some confusion about extending the time cut. Contact was made in the morning with the commissaires' panel in case of bad weather but there was no follow-up.

It's a pity for Arnaud because we knew he could win stages at the Tour de France. But that's racing. He'll make it up at La Vuelta.

• Wow
I think it's starting to look something like this:

Pinot (wins because he has goats, apparently...)
Demare
Brunel (though, I'm not sure he deserves to be this high up. I have found evidence that he has a Goku tattoo on his arm. Surely to be properly French you need to have an Asterix tattoo, or something like that!)
Random unsorted French guys (we need to get back to them.)
Guglielmi, Bonnet, Thomas (not sure which order, but their names aren't French)
Reichenbach
Duchesne
The other Swiss guys (again, dunno about the specific order)
Then there's a bunch of guys I can't order
Valter last (Hungarian is just too weird!)

Bonnet seems to be a pretty French surname. Charlotte Bonnet should have been listed as well though.

Well... I shall put him up with the rest of the blob of French people. Just toby who said he thought it looked English...

Pinot (wins because he has goats, apparently...)
Demare
Brunel (though, I'm not sure he deserves to be this high up. I have found evidence that he has a Goku tattoo on his arm. Surely to be properly French you need to have an Asterix tattoo, or something like that!)
Random unsorted French guys (we need to get back to them.)
Guglielmi, Thomas (not sure which order, but their names aren't French)
Reichenbach
Duchesne
The other Swiss guys (again, dunno about the specific order)
Then there's a bunch of guys I can't order
Valter last (Hungarian is just too weird!)

Just dragging this one up again because of a little observation I've made over the last few days.

david-gaudu-2022.jpeg
valentin-madouas-2022.jpeg
michael-storer-2022.jpeg

I had just about managed to figure out how to tell Gaudu and Madouas apart, now I got to deal with Storer too!
No piggyback rides for/from him, though.

A lot to be happy about, the first happy finish in Paris for the team in a while. The big success is Gaudu. Beyond the 4th place, Gaudu has acquired a ton of experience, and quite a bit of confidence. In a crazy Tour like this one, he fought is way up the GC. He was actually getting better as the race went on. Hats off to Madouas, helping Gaudu and still finishing high. in the GC.

What doesn't make this a great Tour for FDJ is the lack of a stage win. I thought that Pinot would get one: it wasn't a great Pinot. And it wasn't a great Kung in the two ITT, or was it that (same thing for Ganna) the best ITT riders in the world are this Tour's top-3 and its green jersey.

Very good Tour for Groupama-FDJ.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Francaise des Jeux carries along an incredible amount of sterling talents this season. Like a tree nursery that produces finest firs!

6 promoted talents from their farm team. Watson, Gregoire, Martinez, Askey. Etc Jake Stewart who's not much older and has been 2nd at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad before.

If that's where Madiot spend most of his increased budget since 2018, then chapeau. Fantastic decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonton and search
Of all the French teams, FDJ has dominated the youth cycling landscape, the best riders go to CC Etupes, that's pro racing prep' at its best for a 17-18 year-old.

The change that I see is a new, more modern approach to cycling. Having seen Bernal and then Pogacar, and THEN Remco emerging and winning at such a young age, FDJ had to take a serious look at themselves and move on from the Guimard-Jutsu, the art of grooming a rider, basically.

It's Gaudu's time, the last of the groomed ones. He won the '16 Tour de l'Avenir beating Bernal by like three minutes. What can he do in the next five years? I hope for the best and pray for a Gaudu vs. Bernal at a Vuelta.

Others are coming, Romain is for real, it was new for a French team to throw the puppy into a lion's den at Strade Bianche. He looked the part.

Reactions: staubsauger
Seems some of these French guys speak English a lot better than the general assumption, or that they show in public.
Makes sense, really. A guy like Gaudu might speak English well enough for a team briefing - where he can ask for clarification if he doesn't quite understand - but not feel confident enough to speak English in a live-interview.