• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Will be interesting to see what squad they choose in the Giro to support the Yates brothers, especially seeing Ewan is riding and will take up resources.

I am thinking a team like

Yates x 2
Plaza
Haig
Hepburn
Keukeliere
Mezgec
Kluge
Last one could be Bewley/Hayman/Docker/Albasini/Verona

Howson was just interviewed on radio and gave nothing away about the TDF - This is the typical Orica secrecy.

And you think guy like Howson would know if he'll ride Tour de France? In February?!

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
It was quite obvious. With 67 km of TT and a very competetive field he had no chance in this Giro.
So it's time for him to discover the TDF and shine like he did so well in the other grand tours.

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Will be interesting to see what squad they choose in the Giro to support the Yates brothers, especially seeing Ewan is riding and will take up resources.

I am thinking a team like

Yates x 2
Plaza
Haig
Hepburn
Keukeliere
Mezgec
Kluge
Last one could be Bewley/Hayman/Docker/Albasini/Verona

Howson was just interviewed on radio and gave nothing away about the TDF - This is the typical Orica secrecy.

And you think guy like Howson would know if he'll ride Tour de France? In February?!

All riders are given a schedule in December for the following year - Of course this can change because of form or injury - It's certain Chaves will want Howson at the TDF - And it doesn't change the fact that Orica is guarded with public pronouncements - As a recent example they publically released the team for the Herald Sun Tour the day before the race.

jaylew said:
Escarabajo said:
Chaves for the Tour this year. No Giro. I am happy about that. He has the right age and experience. Why wait!

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/22538-pedalazos-de-colombia-y-el-mundo.html

Can you give a short summary? Who specifically says he's doing the Tour? I haven't seen an English article or anything from the team and I don't always trust Google translate. Do you think it's actually decided this time?

Orica's number one target for GC this year is a podium in the TDF - Fact is Chaves' preference is the Giro, while the Yates preference is the TDF - Fact is sponsors wish is for Chaves to ride the TDF - I have no idea what is the view of Team Management

jaylew said:
Escarabajo said:
Chaves for the Tour this year. No Giro. I am happy about that. He has the right age and experience. Why wait!

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/22538-pedalazos-de-colombia-y-el-mundo.html

Can you give a short summary? Who specifically says he's doing the Tour? I haven't seen an English article or anything from the team and I don't always trust Google translate. Do you think it's actually decided this time?
Basically that this Colombian Magazine, which has a long history in the cycling business, interviewed him during the Australian campaign and he said that they (him and coaches I guess) decided to go for the Tour.

It looks like a group of coaches and cyclists from the team will be preparing and training in Colombia as well.

Esteban Cháves, ¿sí al Tour de Francia y no al Giro?

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com ha podido establecer desde Australia y Europa que el gran rutero colombiano Esteban Chaves estaría confirmando al regresar a Colombia a mediados de Febrero su presencia en el Tour de Francia este año y no correría el Giro de Italia , carrera en la que fue subcampeón el año pasado. Todo indica que Esteban y su equipo quieren de una vez hacer la experiencia del Tour en virtud al proceso y resultados que el bogotano ha venido obteniendo. Cháves vendría con un grupo de sus compañeros y staff técnico a Colombia a fin de preparar de la mejor manera su debut en la máxima carrera del mundo.

Matt White did say at the start of the TDU that the bulk of that squad would be going to the TDF, we already know that Ewan is going to the Giro and it's logical to say that Kluge goes with Ewan. The rest of that TDU team were Chaves, Howson, Durbridge, Impey and Gerrans, that looks like a good core group that goes to the TDF providing we can take what Matt White said at the TDU as gospel. Makes sense to send the Yates brothers to the Giro and Chaves to the TDF looking at the likely make-up of the Giro/TDF GC contenders and the parcours.

Re:

StryderHells said:
Matt White did say at the start of the TDU that the bulk of that squad would be going to the TDF, we already know that Ewan is going to the Giro and it's logical to say that Kluge goes with Ewan. The rest of that TDU team were Chaves, Howson, Durbridge, Impey and Gerrans, that looks like a good core group that goes to the TDF providing we can take what Matt White said at the TDU as gospel. Makes sense to send the Yates brothers to the Giro and Chaves to the TDF looking at the likely make-up of the Giro/TDF GC contenders and the parcours.

Lock Kreuziger into that group - Will be controversial but prefer Gerrans to ride the Giro or Vuelta for two reasons - One has a recent habit of falling off his bike in GT's and second prefer Keukeliere/Hayman as the road captain.

Kreuziger should definitely ride over Gerrans. Gerrans should be riding Ardennes, Giro and Vuelta. I doubt that White will make that choice though.

I'd personally love to see both Gerrans and White skip the Tour and Stephens given the director's role. He's smarter on the road and seems to have a closer relationship with Chaves.

Re:

42x16ss said:
Kreuziger should definitely ride over Gerrans. Gerrans should be riding Ardennes, Giro and Vuelta. I doubt that White will make that choice though.

I'd personally love to see both Gerrans and White skip the Tour and Stephens given the director's role. He's smarter on the road and seems to have a closer relationship with Chaves.

Totally agree with that, Stephens seems to be getting the best out of Chaves and if you add Hayman as road captain who has worked well with Chaves in the past and I think he's got the support on and off the road to give him the best chance to podium at the race.

Re:

42x16ss said:

You raised an interesting discussion point - I find Stephen's places a higher priority at all times protecting the GC Rider during a GT, while White gives the support riders more rope during a GC - I'm not particularly fussed who is the DS at the TDF - Gerrans should absolutely ride the Giro and the Vuelta - Gerrans is riding MSR and should be a protected rider - It's a funny race and in form Gerrans can figure in the finish - Cort is the wildcard for the GT's - My understanding is he's not riding the TDF and will probably be held back for the Vuelta - He is being groomed as the new Matthews - Probably not quite as good uphill but faster in the sprint.

It would be nice for Cort to ride the TDF so he can compete (top 10) in some bunch sprints. Unlike Ewan he won't require any resources and he can still do a good job for Chaves.
I'd like to see Chaves, Kreuziger, Impey, one of the Yates' or Plaza, Howson, Hayman, Durbridge, Cort and then one of Bewley, Keukeleire, Jensen, Tuft or Albasini to round out the roster. If you take out one of the Yates' everyone on that team can ride to protect Chaves on the flats and he'd have 4-5 riders for the mountains.

Redhead Dane is correct - Cort is not riding the TDF - Outside chance for the Giro but probably the Vuelta.

Plaza is riding the Giro and Vuelta in support of GC riders and Tuft is likewise, while Haig is definitely riding Giro. - Chaves wants Bewley for the TDF but is unlikely.

Re:

yaco said:
Redhead Dane is correct - Cort is not riding the TDF - Outside chance for the Giro but probably the Vuelta.

Plaza is riding the Giro and Vuelta in support of GC riders and Tuft is likewise, while Haig is definitely riding Giro. - Chaves wants Bewley for the TDF but is unlikely.
Why is he unlikely? Bewley has earned a start with how he's ridden the last few years. He's a relatively versatile diesel, who can pace all day and protect his captain. On top of this, Bewley and Chaves get along like a house on fire, they room together all the time. I see no reason for Bewley not to race any GT Chaves does TBH.

42x16ss said:
yaco said:

Why is he unlikely? Bewley has earned a start with how he's ridden the last few years. He's a relatively versatile diesel, who can pace all day and protect his captain. On top of this, Bewley and Chaves get along like a house on fire, they room together all the time. I see no reason for Bewley not to race any GT Chaves does TBH.

I can't see that Tuft is any certainty. He's about to hit 40 and this is likely to be his final year. Certainly, he has served this team most honourably and deserves to go out with due honour.

However, the entire GTfocus of the team has changed dramatically over the past 12-18 month and he was already visibly showing the strain last season. I cannot see that its the case that he offers greater utlity to the team than Bewley does. IF there was an opening TTT, that may still be a marginal tip in his favour but that would be all ..... and even that is open to debate. I have little doubt that Svein has an excellent relationship with Chaves but the relationship with Bewley is clearly at another level again ...... and it pays visible dividends out there on the road.

Like 42x16ss, its Bewley ahead of Tuft for any Chaves GT squad, or major lead-up race unless he's physically incapacitated. Maybe send Tuft to the Giro with whichever Yates is leading.

Quite frankly I'm not too happy about Chavito going to the Tour this year, since I believe he would have been awesome riding the centenary Giro, but I guess Orica has decided to fast track his Tour debut and go there with all their weaponry....

we'll see

hfer07 said:
Quite frankly I'm not too happy about Chavito going to the Tour this year, since I believe he would have been awesome riding the centenary Giro, but I guess Orica has decided to fast track his Tour debut and go there with all their weaponry....

we'll see

Whilst its very clear that Chaves has great affinity with racing in Italy; the total ITT miles for this year's Giro are nigh double those at the Tour where they are both relatively short ..... hence his relative weakness less exposed.

As a GT contender, he was going to need to get his feet wet at some stage with regards to the Tour. Yes, he WILL be up against the SKY juggernaut and, yes, the racing at the Tour is even more intense than the other 2 GTs but this may be one of the friendlier parcours with regards to lack of ITT.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

I can't see that Tuft is any certainty. He's about to hit 40 and this is likely to be his final year. Certainly, he has served this team most honourably and deserves to go out with due honour.

However, the entire GTfocus of the team has changed dramatically over the past 12-18 month and he was already visibly showing the strain last season. I cannot see that its the case that he offers greater utlity to the team than Bewley does. IF there was an opening TTT, that may still be a marginal tip in his favour but that would be all ..... and even that is open to debate. I have little doubt that Svein has an excellent relationship with Chaves but the relationship with Bewley is clearly at another level again ...... and it pays visible dividends out there on the road.

Like 42x16ss, its Bewley ahead of Tuft for any Chaves GT squad, or major lead-up race unless he's physically incapacitated. Maybe send Tuft to the Giro with whichever Yates is leading.

You misread my post - Stated that Tuft will be riding the Giro and he and Hepburn/Verona will be the workhorses - I would start Bewley in the TDF but its a matter of how much sway Chaves has in the selection of the team - We also must consider giving Yates boys enough support in the Giro, taking into account the role of Ewan and his helpers - It's a fine balancing act.

42x16ss said:
yaco said:

My TDF Team

Chaves
Howson
Bewley
Hayman
A.Yates
Impey
Kreuziger
Keukeliere
Durbridge
A pure GC team with limited chances to win stages.

I DO fully agree that ORS needs to be very shrewd and careful with the selection of their Giro squad should it be the case that one of the Yates is the GC man. Whilst its clear that Chaves IS "the number one man"; it must also be recognised that:

1. both Yates' have GT top 10s from last year
2. they, too, have chosen to keep faith with the team.

It would be both counter-productive and a distinct breach of faith to "screw them over" by providing them what would be a clear "B squad". Sending Cort as fast man would not be counter-productive; selecting someone far more resource intensive as Ewan ...... ?

Will think over your TDF team before responding

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:

My TDF Team

Chaves
Howson
Bewley
Hayman
A.Yates
Impey
Kreuziger
Keukeliere
Albasini

A pure GC team with limited chances to win stages.
Part of me wants to see Orica throw caution to the wind and go with:

Chaves
Yates
Yates
Howson
Kreuziger
Verona
Plaza
Bewley
Durbridge

And have one goal - create mass chaos. Just for the lols...

TRENDING THREADS