• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chaves isn't the sort of guy you want to unnecessarily give time though. We don't really know what happened to him these last few years but the guy still has two gt podiums to his name and has shown really strong climbing performances in every year since. It's just the consistency that was always missing but I don't think teams will want to gamble on that remaining an issue.

Chaves isn't the sort of guy you want to unnecessarily give time though. We don't really know what happened to him these last few years but the guy still has two gt podiums to his name and has shown really strong climbing performances in every year since. It's just the consistency that was always missing but I don't think teams will want to gamble on that remaining an issue.

Disagree. If Trek wanted to gamble on Richie Porte (which paid handsomely) then I don't see why teams wouldn't like to gamble on someone like Esteban Chaves. He was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus in 2018 I think that tells us everything we need to know of his inconsistent form. But to reach the level he is showing at Catalunya means he is obviously over that. No more risk to teams than any other rider.

Chaves missed his opportunity on that descent - When he got dropped at the end of the second last climb he had to ride most of the valley by himself which tired him out for the last climb - Anyway he is riding the Ardennes - With the normal course at Amstel he could have gone deep in the final, though I doubt the special course suits him - Supposedly he will lead at Fleche and have no idea how he will go on that climb, while I don't fancy his chances at LBL - It will be interesting to see if and what grand tour he rides in 2021 - He is better suited to the climbs in France or Italy, though at this stage he is not riding the Giro and the route of the TDF gives few opportunities - Lets see what happens.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Inspired ride, looked really spent at the end, but he did get to top 10 overall

Eyn-cX5WUAMNrFG

Reactions: Sandisfan
If EF was a team like Ineos or JV I'd understand why you would not take Chaves to the Tour. But not taking him now it would be just dumb. Seriously they have nothing to lose.

Additionally, when they picked him up from BikeExchange they were taking a risk on him. But the upside was great and they knew it. Similar to what they did with Uran. I thought that it was a great selection and good fit for the team. There is no reason to not take advantage of it.

Last edited:
If EF was a team like Ineos or JV I'd understand why you would not take Chaves to the Tour. But not taking now it would be just dumb. Seriously they have nothing to lose.

Additionally, when they picked him up from BikeExchange they were taking a risk on him. But the upside was great and they knew it. Similar to what they did with Uran. I thought that it was a great selection and good fit for the team. There is no reason to not take advantage of it.
Yes, but he also has to know that Vaughters has a mind of his own.

TRENDING THREADS