• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European bicycling tour companies

Can anyone give any recommendations on guided European bicycling Tour companies? This summer I want to ride some of the famous Grand Tour climbs, primarily the Alps.

Does anyone have any good experiences with guided bike Tours in France or Italy for English speakers?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi
I can recommend Graham Baxter's company Sports Tours International. Check out http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/

I did the TDF with them last year and they were top notch (and reasonably priced). They cater for any level of rider, couples, groups etc. They run tours for all the events (not just TDF). Drop me an email if you want further details

Cheers

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Used BikeStyle Tours (http://www.bikestyletours.com/) a few years back to follow the TdF. It was a great trip. They had Pros as guides for each of the buses that they had. In addition, they trailered the bikes, so we didn't have to break them down like some of the other tours. The down side is they really only do tours for the races

Also, have a brochure for nonstopciclismo.com. Haven't used them yet, but am considering them for a trip to Italy. The upside is they do custom tours.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
RTMcFadden said:
Used BikeStyle Tours (http://www.bikestyletours.com/) a few years back to follow the TdF. It was a great trip. They had Pros as guides for each of the buses that they had. In addition, they trailered the bikes, so we didn't have to break them down like some of the other tours. The down side is they really only do tours for the races

Also, have a brochure for nonstopciclismo.com. Haven't used them yet, but am considering them for a trip to Italy. The upside is they do custom tours.

I will second the recommendation for Bikestyles. I went to the Tour in 04 and had Allan Peiper, Neil Stephens, Patrick Jonker, Michael Wilson and Craig Saunders for guides. It was fantastic in every way. Great riding and a lot of it. (As a matter of fact, you can read my recommendation in the customer comments section, I am "Bud" O)

Dini77 said:
Hi
I can recommend Graham Baxter's company Sports Tours International. Check out http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/

I did the TDF with them last year and they were top notch (and reasonably priced). They cater for any level of rider, couples, groups etc. They run tours for all the events (not just TDF). Drop me an email if you want further details

Cheers
have just signed up to do their Paris-Roubaix 4 day trip, so good to hear someone recommend them!

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Biking Italy or Switzerland

If your looking for an Australian tour group with a difference, check out - http://www.getbiking.net / Based around Lucca in Tuscany and heading out each day on some epic rides. No packing your bags and shifting every day. Some incredible rides mixed with plenty of locals and the awesome Tuscan culture.
Swiss trips are based in Lauterbrunnen on the swiss-german side & Verbier at 1500m on the swiss-french side. Some classic cols on this trip including usually at least 1 tour stage. In 2010 it will be the Morzine finish. Worth a look !!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
have just signed up to do their Paris-Roubaix 4 day trip, so good to hear someone recommend them!

+1

I'm signed up for the full Flanders/Roubaix trip, and I assume that the folks doing either the short Flanders or short Roubaix weekends will intermingle a bit with the folks doing the full 11 days. If so, look forward to riding with you.

Scott

scoot'n said:
+1

I'm signed up for the full Flanders/Roubaix trip, and I assume that the folks doing either the short Flanders or short Roubaix weekends will intermingle a bit with the folks doing the full 11 days. If so, look forward to riding with you.

Scott
Cool. See you then!

Other than a receipt, have you heard anything from them yet regarding pick-up points, and other details?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
Cool. See you then!

Other than a receipt, have you heard anything from them yet regarding pick-up points, and other details?

No, but it's still a month out, so I'm not too concerned. My guess is that they'll wait until they get the flight details for all the participants before determining the best schedule to pick everyone up w/ the minimum number of trips to the airport.

So, are you taking your bike or renting one? I've seen so many threads on traveling overseas with a bike and the expense involved that it's beginning to look like renting a bike may actually be the better choice.

scoot'n said:
No, but it's still a month out, so I'm not too concerned. My guess is that they'll wait until they get the flight details for all the participants before determining the best schedule to pick everyone up w/ the minimum number of trips to the airport.

So, are you taking your bike or renting one? I've seen so many threads on traveling overseas with a bike and the expense involved that it's beginning to look like renting a bike may actually be the better choice.

Flights?
this is the website blurb for the Roubaix one "Our bike carrying coach will make collections at Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, London via the M40 and service stations on the motorway networks used en route to Dover, for an afternoon sailing to Calais and early evening arrival in Valenciennes for 3 nights accommodation and 2 evening meals at the Hotel Campanile"

I am taking my bike (see bike n gear thread about tyres/wheels for Roubaix). I have a Sci-Con bike bag that has worked a treat, and that includes using it to ship my roadie over from Aus to UK.
It used to cost me nothing to travel between Australian cities with any of my bikes in either the bike bag or even the airline bike boxes. I haven't done easyjet with the bike yet, but have seen they have options for taking them for a fee...

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
Flights?
this is the website blurb for the Roubaix one "Our bike carrying coach will make collections at Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, London via the M40 and service stations on the motorway networks used en route to Dover, for an afternoon sailing to Calais and early evening arrival in Valenciennes for 3 nights accommodation and 2 evening meals at the Hotel Campanile"

I am taking my bike (see bike n gear thread about tyres/wheels for Roubaix). I have a Sci-Con bike bag that has worked a treat, and that includes using it to ship my roadie over from Aus to UK.
It used to cost me nothing to travel between Australian cities with any of my bikes in either the bike bag or even the airline bike boxes. I haven't done easyjet with the bike yet, but have seen they have options for taking them for a fee...

My bad, I assumed you'd be flying in, like any other non-UK-based tour participant would. When I'd seen that info on the shorter weekend-only trips driving over from the UK, it made me quite jealous to think that from the UK you could get over to watch the classics pretty darn easily.

Me, I'm flying in from Denver, via Chicago.

scoot'n said:
My bad, I assumed you'd be flying in, like any other non-UK-based tour participant would. When I'd seen that info on the shorter weekend-only trips driving over from the UK, it made me quite jealous to think that from the UK you could get over to watch the classics pretty darn easily.

Me, I'm flying in from Denver, via Chicago.

I am non-UK, but living in London for a bit, so you'd be excused for your thoughts.
I never really paid the classics much attention til I got over here with the aussie press mostly showing the TdF...
"Mine eyes have seen the Glory"...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I went on the Graham Baxter tour group in 2007 and I had a blast, best $3500 I have ever spent. The only downside was the the fact that our tour guide was bit of a downer, saying from the beginning that he liked the Giro over the Tour. Geez, I have flown half way around the world, more then $7000 out of pocket (including getting there), you could be a little more positive about it. I don't mind honesty in people, but you could at least pretend you love the race. He also had a habit of repeating the same story over and over, like the story he told us of Armstrong in 2004, was descending in the Pyrennes, with one foot unclipped from his pedals and resting on his handle bars as he was taking food and drink from Bruyneel :confused::eek:. What did Johan do next? Give Lance his pipe, slippers, and newspaper?!

I never believed the story for a second, but he seemed adamant that it happened.

But the experience, the people, were great. On the bright side I had heard a story of one woman in our group from Adelaide, who had a friend who slept with a Bouygues Telecom mechanic during the 2007 TDU, and our guide was selling Belgian beer after each day's ride/stage for one euro each.

Win.

TRENDING THREADS