• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Cycling Championships cancelled

The European Cycling Championships, planned in Nice, are cancelled according to former mayor Christian Estrosi. They' fear a terrorist attack.

I was looking forward to this :mad:

So now we're cancelling races cause of these terrorist fucks. Where is this gonna end? The Tour had no problems?

LaFlo - I can name GP Frankfurt 2015 off the top of my head, which was cancelled after somebody whose house was raided and various things confiscated that suggested he was making weapons, had been spotted at various points in the race route a couple of days before the race. This of course wasn't long after the Boston Marathon bombing, too.

Red Rick - the European U23 championships have been running for many years. Erik Baska is the reigning men's champion and Katarzyna Niewiadoma the reigning women's champion. They've run since 1995, around about the time the Worlds switched from Amateur to U23 as the secondary category. Past winners include Cândido Barbosa (road race 1996), Giampaolo Caruso (2001), Michael Albasini (2002), Giovanni Visconti (2003), Cyril Gautier (2008) and Stefan Küng (2014); against the clock there's Evgeni Petrov (2000), Manuel Quinziato (2001), Adriano Malori (2008), Marcel Kittel (2009) and Alex Dowsett (2010); among the women there's Trixi Worrack (2002), Maribel Moreno (2003), Marianne Vos (2006 and 2007), Chantal Blaak (2009) and Sabrina Stultiens (2014).

Typically for the men it's an espoir competition while for the women you often get quite big names who fit into the age bracket contending.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
LaFlo - I can name GP Frankfurt 2015 off the top of my head, which was cancelled after somebody whose house was raided and various things confiscated that suggested he was making weapons, had been spotted at various points in the race route a couple of days before the race. This of course wasn't long after the Boston Marathon bombing, too.
That was the one I thought of, too :) seems like a solid reason to cancel an event to me

Re: Re:

doperhopper said:
PremierAndrew said:
Terrorists want to scare people. They want people to stop living life how they please and create terror.

Guess they were successful after all

Don't worry. ALL events will be cancelled in couple of years.

Few more millions of merkelcrimmigrants means few more hundreds of merkelterrorists.

In Germany it's already a warzone (but you won't get it from the mainstream media): official statistics - one crimmigrant crime EVERY 3 minutes in 2015 (only those reported, obviously), and in 2016 it went even much worse.

Fortunately, these mugs don't know what cycling is, so as a sport it's relatively safe. But of course, major race like Tour de France is another story - I was in Culoz (finish of Grand Colombier stage) and saw twice groups of policemen desperately running to certain place, apparetnly got some warning (and after 10-15 min they were going slowly back to their places).

Please keep your political views out of this topic.

Great news guys. The UEC just published a statement about it and they're already looking for alternatives. I don't think it's gonna be easy to start organizing an event that is supposed to start in a month but at least they're trying!

Following the press conference organised at the end of the afternoon by the city of Nice, the Union Européenne de Cyclisme acknowledges the city of Nice’s position regarding the cancellation of all the sports and cultural events on its territory including the Road European Cycling Championships, which were scheduled to take place from 14 to 18 September 2016.

This decision is justified on the grounds of safety as this event required a huge security presence which cannot be guaranteed in view of the significant constraints. We would like to assure you that the Union Européenne de Cyclisme is already looking for an alternative venue on the dates already scheduled.

The Union Européenne de Cyclisme would like to express its full solidarity with the city of Nice at this difficult time as well as with the victims’ families.

Ruudz0r said:
LaFlorecita said:
luckyboy said:
This was going to be the first edition for senior riders as well. Contador, Nibali and Gilbert supposed to race.
Yup, a great shame. It would have been a fantastic race :(

There was one last year also for the pro's http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/European_Games_Road_Race_2015

but surely a shame, the course looked great. Was looking forward to the races from all categories there :(

European Games (is like Olympisch Games) is not the same as the European Championships!

Samamba said:
Ruudz0r said:
LaFlorecita said:
luckyboy said:
This was going to be the first edition for senior riders as well. Contador, Nibali and Gilbert supposed to race.

There was one last year also for the pro's http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/European_Games_Road_Race_2015

but surely a shame, the course looked great. Was looking forward to the races from all categories there :(

European Games (is like Olympisch Games) is not the same as the European Championships!
However, astana do class Luis Leon Sanchez as the european champ. It was, as you said, not the european champs though.

lemon cheese cake said:
Samamba said:
Ruudz0r said:
LaFlorecita said:
luckyboy said:

However, astana do class Luis Leon Sanchez as the european champ. It was, as you said, not the european champs though.

Many sport organisatoins (like in cycling) held their european championships at the European games. So the cycling race at the European games was also the european championship.

TRENDING THREADS