• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans 2010 -what's changed?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Found this par of the CN interview with evans interesting
When asked if he meant that he didn't have that support at Lotto, he said: "I didn't say that," but everyone got the message. And his victory at Flèche Wallonne was damning evidence that he was right to change teams.

"One disadvantage of winning Flèche is that everyone is watching me for Liège and that makes it more difficult to win there but we'll see how we go there."

auscyclefan94 said:
Evans said he didn't salute because his arms were so tired from pulling his handlebars on the mur.

Cycling actually got on the 6pm news bulletin and got more than 5 seconds.

There's a parallel sort-of debate going on about AC's daft salute elsewhere as I write, but I do think Mr Evans is suffering from a severe case of overmodesty. Ditto in Mendrisio. :confused:

auscyclefan94 said:
When asked if he meant that he didn't have that support at Lotto, he said: "I didn't say that," but everyone got the message. And his victory at Flèche Wallonne was damning evidence that he was right to change teams.

Rather a lot of editorialising going on there in that article. "Damning" evidence? Not of itself, I don't think. However I would agree that Lotto's performance (not including Philippe Gilbert) this spring might be construed as "damning" evidence... :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Rather a lot of editorialising going on there in that article. "Damning" evidence? Not of itself, I don't think. However I would agree that Lotto's performance (not including Philippe Gilbert) this spring might be construed as "damning" evidence... :)

Lotto has been no worse than BMC this spring...the change of teams is not why he won. He rode a perfect race...learned from past errors...and won. Nothing more or less...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:

I wish evans could drag gilbert over. if evans doesn't win on sunday i would be more than happy that gilbert won.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Found this par of the CN interview with evans interesting
I think it is all about putting the past behind him and getting the focus on BMC and 2010 rather than what happened at Lotto, he also said in the interview it was about learning from his experiences.

I thought it was quite unbelievable it was first time he had done recon of Huy, and it was only on LeLangue suggestion that he did it this time. I guess some riders get into their mindset it is only a km and a bit long and it gets pretty steep, no need to check it out. I think sprinters would most probably recon finishes more than GT guys as it is more important to them, GT guys will ride a prologue/TT courses or mountains as that is where they lose time.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Lotto has been no worse than BMC this spring...the change of teams is not why he won. He rode a perfect race...learned from past errors...and won. Nothing more or less...
I would have to agree.
With their wins in the past classics actually puts shame on other teams.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
i actually quite like Evans' understated celebrations.. it's different

it's emotional becoz he always looks so absolutely spent at the finish line, and when he manages to win he has no energy to raise both hands which to be honest, it shows how hard he is suffering

i prefer his celebration than the usual "look at me, i'm jesus with my hands spread out wide and i don't even need to breath through my mouth" (Ricco, Peipoli) ...

good ride by Evans, i'm stoked i tipped that for a win becoz i'm usually wrong

i don't see him winning leige tho. i will support him tho, because the double is awesome to see

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
I think it is all about putting the past behind him and getting the focus on BMC and 2010 rather than what happened at Lotto, he also said in the interview it was about learning from his experiences.

I thought it was quite unbelievable it was first time he had done recon of Huy, and it was only on LeLangue suggestion that he did it this time. I guess some riders get into their mindset it is only a km and a bit long and it gets pretty steep, no need to check it out. I think sprinters would most probably recon finishes more than GT guys as it is more important to them, GT guys will ride a prologue/TT courses or mountains as that is where they lose time.

+1
Evans solo on cote de la redoute, puffy?:D

TRDean said:

Fair enough, yes. I had only thought about it in terms of Cadel and Lotto rather than including BMC in the equation. Looking at it that way, you're absolutely right. :) And I certainly agree about yesterday - that was indeed a straightforward, satisfying and well taken victory from the spectator's point of view. I enjoyed it a lot.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Unfortunately, with the news coming out of BMC, questions will be asked as to why Evans is suddenly a winner rather than an also ran...

I hope not...and to be honest I don't think so! I don't like Evans too much, but one thing I will say...I really respect his stance on PEDs. Hard work wins out in his case!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Unfortunately, with the news coming out of BMC, questions will be asked as to why Evans is suddenly a winner rather than an also ran...

suddenly a winner? he has always been close to win all season. it is not like he came from finishing 25mins behind in one race and winning the next.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Fair enough, yes. I had only thought about it in terms of Cadel and Lotto rather than including BMC in the equation. Looking at it that way, you're absolutely right. :) And I certainly agree about yesterday - that was indeed a straightforward, satisfying and well taken victory from the spectator's point of view. I enjoyed it a lot.

Me too...very exciting finish to a great race.

bianchigirl said:

Top10 in most things is hardly an also ran.

Going to BMC wouldn't have all of a sudden to convince Evans to "get on the program", if that was not the case previously.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
??? He has always been right up there and challenging for the win, he has won 1 race this year and 1 seven months at the WC, when many have suggested he should have won more... he would have been equal fave for this race due to his past results and strong form coming into the race.

:rolleyes:That is like saying why is he attacking now he never used to do it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Screw it ACF...I like Evans...I must be a closet fan. Glad to see him breaking out!! Now I feel better!
Oh come on, don't get too excited; who would ACF have to gloat to if everyone came on board. Next thing you will be posting a late poll on the FW thread too say I told you so.:p

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Oh come on, don't get too excited; who would ACF have to gloat to if everyone came on board. Next thing you will be posting a late poll on the FW thread too say I told you so.:p

Naaa you got the wrong guy...Maybe I should have stated I really respect the guy...that better puffy?

TRDean said:
Screw it ACF...I like Evans...I must be a closet fan. Glad to see him breaking out!! Now I feel better!

I like him too but I do think a certain amount of criticism is appropriate (such as has been described). He has frustrated the heck out of me at times, but on the other hand I've always liked his now-ingrained underdoggyness.

I sincerely hope he goes further with that WC jersey, because so many other wearers have underwhelmed while wearing it. I also look forward to seeing if he can shake off the underdoggyness (at least inside my mind).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:

Never knock back the ones who want to learn GOD(Evans)! We will have to organise the initiaion ritual into the Cadel Evans Fan Club!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Never knock back the ones who want to learn GOD(Evans)! We will have to organise the initiaion ritual into the Cadel Evans Fan Club!

Dude...don't ruin it by calling him GOD!! That goes too far in fandom and makes me want to tell you to put the "sticky" pictures of Evans back under your mattress...:p

I don't mind Evans, although I'm not a fan, but happy to see him win this.
Would still like to see the guy take out a GT. Hoping he does win the Giro.

The new team has to have made a difference. Everything's new(ish) and it would give him a "breath of fresh air", reinvigorate his attitude, and other cliches. The recon of FW shows something as well, and that's definately a positive for him and shows the better management of BMC to Lotto.
A smaller team puting in the extra efforts to reach Pro level instead of stagnating while already at that level...
Good on them for giving it a red-hot go.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
where-is-your-god-now-raptor.jpg

TRENDING THREADS