• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans leaves Omega Pharma - Lotto

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Umm, no way. He might try and spin it that way but this is all about money, money, better team, money, better marketing potential, money and money.
Take that stupidity meter up another few levels.:D
thumb-owltards.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Any revelations yet?

Nope...you have an hour of crap before you actually get to the interview with Cadel....we need to hear about rugby, cricket and horse racing as that is far more important in the scheme of sports things. :rolleyes:

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I personally think Cadel's years as a MTBer, difficult transition to the road, years of being derided as a loser and horrible person before becoming world champion is more interesting than Cav's story of: "I'm great, everyone look at me. Garmin suck and Pipo Pozzato wants to suck me." etc.

If you prefer to read about what you admit is a horrible person and loser (your words) then great. I personally think that few cyclists are worthy of a book and certainly not the two you mention at this stage of their careers.

lanternrouge said:
If you prefer to read about what you admit is a horrible person and loser (your words) then great. I personally think that few cyclists are worthy of a book and certainly not the two you mention at this stage of their careers.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that I think Cadel is a horrible person or loser. I said that he was derided as such. There is a difference.

Secondly i am of the firm opinion that Cavendish is not worthy of a biography, and never said that he was. I actually haven't even read Cavendish's book.

I would be interested in Cadel's book however. He seems like an interesting cat and would like to hear his story provided it isn't a complete whine-fest.

Huh that is a surprise, Channel 9 here in Aus actually did some research and said before they cut to the Evans interview: "In breaking news Cadel Evans has split from his Silence-Lotto team" said the reporter before going to the interview.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear, this could be a problem. We finally have an Aussie wearing the rainbow jersery but now has no team to ride for - that we know of. One would like to think that he had the brains to make this move with something already lined up. And if this is the case, then it is one of the best kept secrets in cycling because there has not been a snippet of news about his departure/possible signing. Scour all the cycling websites and nothing about a possible move...so does this mean he doesn't have a team lined up? Surely this would be just pure arrogance if this is the case?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
AToC

I hope Cadel signs on with Columbia!

He would ride the Amgen Tour of California again probably.

RadioShack vs Columbia vs Garmin in California...sweeeet.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that I think Cadel is a horrible person or loser. I said that he was derided as such. There is a difference.

Secondly i am of the firm opinion that Cavendish is not worthy of a biography, and never said that he was. I actually haven't even read Cavendish's book.

I would be interested in Cadel's book however. He seems like an interesting cat and would like to hear his story provided it isn't a complete whine-fest.

Apologies did not mean to put words in your mouth a misread.:eek:

Still think that whilst the tale could have some interest given the effort and setbacks etc it could indeed given the track record turn into what you call a complete whine-fest.:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
Apologies did not mean to put words in your mouth a misread.:eek:

Still think that whilst the tale could have some interest given the effort and setbacks etc it could indeed given the track record turn into what you call a complete whine-fest.:D

Maybe you should just read the book and find out for yourself;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
big news.

katusha wouldn't be a step down, they are slowing getting a very strong team.
But I doubt Rodriguez will want to be evans domestique, I believe he sees himself as a leader.

Be interesting to see where he goes.

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Then why wasn't he doing it at Telekom?

He broke his collarbone FOUR times!!!

Plus on Telekom, he was a domestique, and when he was finally staying upright and not breaking bones Jan Ullrich said he doesnt want him on the Tour team. He wasn't very liked in Telekom, and never got a chance to show his talent.

As a Cadel fan (fanboy even), I have to say I'm shocked at his decision to leave. I think that **** Jurgen van den Breakaway must have said he wants sole leadership at the tour... I bet my house he doesn't make the top ten

As for Cadel and a new team, I think he will be taking a step down to be honest. Omega Lotto have their best tour team in the 4 years he's been there so I think he will struggle at this stage to find anything better.

The teams I pray he does not sign for:
- Astana (even if bertie leaves)
- Katusha (I really don't like their vibe)
- Lampre (I can't see Cunego playing mountain domestique, and they have just signed Petacchi - i.e. can't win a tour with a sprinter in your team)
- QuickStep - This will be like 2005 when he signed for Dav-Lotto but Lefevre wants a GC guy

Teams I would be happy for him to sign with:
- Garmin (wiggins to sky, bertie stays astana, JV gives Cadel 2 years to do something)
- Team Sky - good Ozzie connection, could bring wegelius, too many stage hunters for my liking tho
- The Shack - i'm not kidding here. One year as domestique for LA, full reign at the Vuelta, and then 2011 he rides for himself under JB

Unfortunately, I think he is going to Katusha, but if he wants to win the tour, or at least continue of the podiums like Poulidor, then I really think he needs to sign with Garmin, Sky or RadioShack. As I said in our thread abotu Cadels future a few months back, I honestly think he needs a US/UK structured team. Different environment to the traditional Euro based teams

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
big news.

katusha wouldn't be a step down, they are slowing getting a very strong team.
But I doubt Rodriguez will want to be evans domestique, I believe he sees himself as a leader.

Be interesting to see where he goes.

The last thing Robbie would want is for Cadel to turn up on the doorstep again.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
or the aussies... actually i personally think he is, i dont think he was, you cant end up with a face like that unless youve done a few drugs in your past...

Wow! I'm glad I'm not the only person who has had the same thought. The same goes for the Chicken. Compare his facial features, particularly his jaw-line, between the 2006 and 2007 tours. A distinct sigh of HGH use.

Any other riders like this?

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
He has brains? mmm not sure about that? :D But he does have a new team.;)

Then I repeat: one of the best kept secrets in cycling - to not have one "rumored to be going to" stories circulating before this is amazing.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Could this descision be to do with the possible signing of Ricardo Ricco's former doctor especially as evans has a strong Anti doping stance?

nope.. and you must stop having rose tinted glasses towards him...

lotto have said its about money.. so i reckon its about money.. hes won a race, realises that he never had a clause if with lotto "if i win the world championship i get more money" cos neither he nor they ever imagined it would happen, and now after being a runner up time after time, he smells an opportunity to make his life financially secure...

its all about the cash.. and i reckon sky have that cash.. wouldnt surprise me if the deal is done, sky have offered him big bucks, paid off lotto and lotto have let him go..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
AG2R is the answer

Personally, i don't see it working out with cadel and garmin. I think their would be a bit of conflict with have possible leaders (Farrar, Vandelvelde, Wiggins and evans). AG2R seems a good choice. They have no sprinters in the way like Garmin or Lampre and have strong climbers such as Dessel, Arrieta, Goubert, Nocentini, Roche and Valjavec.

Mountain Goat said:
He broke his collarbone FOUR times!!!

Plus on Telekom, he was a domestique, and when he was finally staying upright and not breaking bones Jan Ullrich said he doesnt want him on the Tour team. He wasn't very liked in Telekom, and never got a chance to show his talent.

Read my post in its proper context. I have never, I repeat, never, claimed that Cadel was anything other than a very talented rider. I was defending Lotto since everyone is so eager to bash them, saying that despite his lack of results and problems he got a fair shot with them and that paid good dividends for both.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
nope.. and you must stop having rose tinted glasses towards him...

lotto have said its about money.. so i reckon its about money.. hes won a race, realises that he never had a clause if with lotto "if i win the world championship i get more money" cos neither he nor they ever imagined it would happen, and now after being a runner up time after time, he smells an opportunity to make his life financially secure...

its all about the cash.. and i reckon sky have that cash.. wouldnt surprise me if the deal is done, sky have offered him big bucks, paid off lotto and lotto have let him go..

i think you have misunderstood what i'm saying. I'm saying if he was un happy with the valverde incident then is it possible that he may not be happy with the descsion about the doctor. I'm not saying he is clean but i do believe he's clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS