• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans trades saddle for fence on LA investigation

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Not sure where Cadel's going with this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/dont-judge-too-fast-warns-evans-20101123-185oo.htm

Would someone kindly tell me what this means?

''I think if anyone is investigated and then cleared well then they're more innocent than anyone who's not investigated aren't they? But also unfortunately people, and sometimes rightly so, attach investigation and accusation with guilt, which isn't always the case.''

Sometimes rightly so...isn't always the case...were you or were you not cheated out of at least one Tour de France? Do you wonder about that, or do you also have a fridge hidden in a closet somewhere?

Is he running interference for Georgie Boy? Most pros have refrained from mentioning the elephant riding the bike. What's CE's motivation for such a jumbled statement?

Good subject thread!

I read the article. I think what Evans is saying: "I don't want to say anything in case Lance gets off becuase he'll come after me. If he get thrown in the clink then lets burn the f^cker!"

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Similar to above. I guess Cadel wanted to say something like "although innocent until proven guilty...there is a lot of smoke around the LA compound and where there's smoke there sure as hell is an overheating fridge!"

Then he decided he had better back off a bit and then proceeded to mix and match...tripping/stumbling/limping over his own tongue. All with the best of intentions.

A

Anonymous

People could be right to think hes guilty, but then he might not be. And, if hes found not guilty then he is even more innocent than before.

I think... He's fairly seriously mumbling

TeamSkyFans said:
People could be right to think hes guilty, but then he might not be. And, if hes found not guilty then he is even more innocent than before.

I think... He's fairly seriously mumbling

Sounds a bit more like a variation on the classic 'most tested' party line. I am/he is the most tested athlete.

He probably just got off the phone with Lance or Fabiani, where they had him practicing his lines to a ten minute tirade of: I am the most, well almost most, well I bin tested a lot. Almost as much as that Marian Jones chick, and she was innocent too.

Cuz I/he always beat the tests and testers, except for
-that Ressiot froggie
-the back-dated TUE
-the 20min shower
-the doping paraphenelia in the trash
-the extra time in the morning
-the early warnings about doping control
and all that other stuff, means I am 200% innocent.

He gets/I get an extra 10% innnocent every time I get through another witch hunt like that.

He is/I am way more innocent than the guys who are only 110% innocent.

I mean, like, we tested my blood and I have like no lactate.

Now, Cadel, do you think you can tell someone that for me?

Dave.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Cadel being a class guy probably learned a lot after the BMC suspensions this year..guys looking like they are going down in flames only to pull out of it right before hitting the ground and exploding. Now with the UCI handing out different numbers depending on how they feel he is smart to as neutral as possible. DiLuca, Conatdor could be his team mates at anytime..His stance on Lance probably comes from a Telecom point of view..guy is really showing some class

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
Would someone kindly tell me what this means?

First remove the word 'Armstrong' from your mind, and any connection to cycling.

Then read the quote again as though it were someone talking about more regular crime. A murder, a rape, a robbery. Then it makes perfect sense and he's spot on.

A suspect isn't necessarily the guilty party. And a suspect who has been investigated and cleared is far more likely to be innocent than a suspect who has not been investigated at all.

Mambo95 said:
First remove the word 'Armstrong' from your mind, and any connection to cycling.

Then read the quote again as though it were someone talking about more regular crime. A murder, a rape, a robbery. Then it makes perfect sense and he's spot on.

A suspect isn't necessarily the guilty party. And a suspect who has been investigated and cleared is far more likely to be innocent than a suspect who has not been investigated at all.

OJ Simpson then!!!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
OJ Simpson then!!!

There are always exceptions (and he wasn't cleared by the police or DAs office, who actually did the investigating). For every OJ, there are thousands of murder suspects that are investigated and correctly ruled out by investigators.

And unless I've missed something Armstrong hasn't been cleared by the Feds, so there's a big IF in Evans's quote.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I really can't make much sense of his comments, other than the one about the presumption of innocence which is an evidentiary rule putting the burden of proof on the state. A not guilty verdict does not mean the person found not guilty is innocent.

Perhaps Cadel is nervous about something? Does he know something either directly or via hearsay? IMO, many riders know things that they prefer to not speak about--even the clean one or two at the top. (Yes, I am a cynical person)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
oh i wouldn't worry, his biggest fan will be along to correct all the disbelievers in any Cadel statement.....i cant wait. I'll be on an interesting thread if you need me:rolleyes:

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
There are always exceptions (and he wasn't cleared by the police or DAs office, who actually did the investigating). For every OJ, there are thousands of murder suspects that are investigated and correctly ruled out by investigators.

And unless I've missed something Armstrong hasn't been cleared by the Feds, so there's a big IF in Evans's quote.

What could he have been cleared of by the Feds? Has Armstrong officially been charged with anything yet????

Evans statement does make sense if you take Armstrong out of the equation.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
His comment means nothing . Fomr what i got, he really didn't want to make a comment about the situation so came up with a nonchalant answer to the question.

mwbyrd said:
What could he have been cleared of by the Feds? Has Armstrong officially been charged with anything yet????

Evans statement does make sense if you take Armstrong out of the equation.

I agree with your analysis especially if you read "more innocent", in

''I think if anyone is investigated and then cleared well then they're more innocent than anyone who's not investigated aren't they? But also unfortunately people, and sometimes rightly so, attach investigation and accusation with guilt, which isn't always the case.''

to mean "more likely to be innocent".

However, what it sounds like to me is something someone in organized crime would say after the boss (say Al Capone), who was cleared by several investigations, is now the subject of yet another much more comprehensive investigation (say by the IRS).

Dettol

BANNED
Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
He's saying two different things in an roundabout awkward way.
1. If Lance is acquitted he has nothing more to prove regarding his innocence.
2. Innocent until proven guilty despite how convincing the preliminary evidence may be.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
However, what it sounds like to me is something someone in organized crime would say after the boss (say Al Capone), who was cleared by several investigations, is now the subject of yet another much more comprehensive investigation (say by the IRS).

Here's an experiment for you to do at home. Go on to an internet forum which has nothing to do with cycling. Then simply post that quote by Evans, with no embellishments, and ask people if they agree or disagree with the statement. See what they think.

Why is it, that as soon as anyone sees the word 'Armstrong', be they pro or anti, they jettison all common sense and reason and start dribbling onto their keyboard?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Here's an experiment for you to do at home. Go on to an internet forum which has nothing to do with cycling. Then simply post that quote by Evans, with no embellishments, and ask people if they agree or disagree with the statement. See what they think.

Why is it, that as soon as anyone sees the word 'Armstrong', be they pro or anti, they jetison all common sense and reason and start dribbling onto their keyboard?

Simple, 7X TdF winner, World Champion,cancer survivor, founder of LIVESTRONG, boned one of the Olsen twins....

May 13, 2009
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
Similar to above. I guess Cadel wanted to say something like "although innocent until proven guilty...there is a lot of smoke around the LA compound and where there's smoke there sure as hell is an overheating fridge!"

Then he decided he had better back off a bit and then proceeded to mix and match...tripping/stumbling/limping over his own tongue. All with the best of intentions.

This.

He's saying 'innocent until proven guilty' and also 'where there's smoke there's fire' and then getting mixed up between the two.

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
All of this makes me think of that great scene in Stripes -

Army Recruiting Office: Have you ever been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanour?
Army Recruiting Office: That's robbery, rape, car theft, that sort of thing.
John: Convicted?
Army Recruiting Office: Yeah.
John: No.
Russell: Never convicted.

stripes1.jpg

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Innocent until proven guilty" means, in faboy/apologist parlance, the same as "waste of taxpayer money" and the new one-"those samples were clean when they were collected".

"Innocent until proven guilty" means innocent until proven guilty unless it's from the lynch mob where they've already made the leap from inferences and allegations to guilt.

TRENDING THREADS