• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans trades saddle for fence on LA investigation

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
No one is saying he is wrong.

But anyone who knows better but never-the-less says anything that even implies that Armstrong might have won 7 Tours clean is dishonest.
snip
hear you but don't know if the word 'dishonest' is the one here.

if evans has not realised up to now how texas won his tours, he's...well, not very smart. if he did realise but prefers not to go into the details when forced to talk publicly, i will give him my understanding but can't resist calling it for what it is - diplomatic but disingenuous.

all in all, some one needs to start a poll if evans has a spine :p

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
No one is saying he is wrong.

But anyone who knows better but never-the-less says anything that even implies that Armstrong might have won 7 Tours clean is dishonest.

He's not implying anything. You're inferring it.

Just because he's not jumping up and down, frothing at mouth and bleating endlessly about the 99 samples, Silvia McIlvain (or whatever her name is) and Emma O'Reilly, it doesn't mean he's supporting Armstrong.

He's a big name in cycling, not some keyboard warrior. People actually pay attention to what he says, so he keeps it measured and neutral.

Mambo95 said:
He's not implying anything. You're inferring it.

Just because he's not jumping up and down, frothing at mouth and bleating endlessly about the 99 samples, Silvia McIlvain (or whatever her name is) and Emma O'Reilly, it doesn't mean he's supporting Armstrong.

He's a big name in cycling, not some keyboard warrior. People actually pay attention to what he says, so he keeps it measured and neutral.

What does "Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport" mean to you?

Are cycling bosses doing the right to clean up the sport? Everyone here knows that's a flat-out lie. No one was forcing him to blatantly lie like that. There is nothing measured or neutral in that statement. It's pure Omerta.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
What does "Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport" mean to you?

Are cycling bosses doing the right to clean up the sport? Everyone here knows that a flat-out lie. No one was forcing him to blatantly lie like that.

Omerta.

No, everyone doesn't know it's a flat out lie. That's just your perception. The likes of Ashenden think that it's moving in the right direction as best it can, as do the likes of Vaughters. Resolutely anti-doping riders like Pinotti are thriving and arguably the best all-round rider of the year, Gilbert, has been a long time advocate of clean cycling.

What would make you think that things are moving in the right direction?

And you bandy around the word 'Omerta'. Do you even know what it means? In cycling terms it dates way back to describe why the likes of Kimmage (back in 1990) shouldn't speak out about doping so the public don;t know about it. Well that cat is well and truly out of the bag. Even people who don't know who Contador is know that there's drugs in cycling.

You seem to think that if people don't make accusations that they can't back up with proof, it's 'Omerta'. Personally, I call it 'not being a ***'.

Here's a question. You're Evans. (Or a high profile clean rider, if you think Evans is doping). You're asked what you think about the Armstrong case. What do you say? Exact words, not what you'd hint at etc.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Here's a question. You're Evans. You're asked what you think about the Armstrong case. What do you say? Exact words, not what you'd hint at etc.

And when answering the above, don't forget to consider the context. Was it part of a conversation on doping in Cycling? Was it a conversation about LA's career? or was it just a cold call asking only the one question? (as the "interview" seems to indicate)

Mambo95 said:
No, everyone doesn't know it's a flat out lie. That's just your perception. The likes of Ashenden think that it's moving in the right direction as best it can, as do the likes of Vaughters. Resolutely anti-doping riders like Pinotti are thriving and arguably the best all-round rider of the year, Gilbert, has been a long time advocate of clean cycling.

What would make you think that things are moving in the right direction?

And you bandy around the word 'Omerta'. Do you even know what it means? In cycling terms it dates way back to describe why the likes of Kimmage (back in 1990) shouldn't speak out about doping so the public don;t know about it. Well that cat is well and truly out of the bag. Even people who don't know who Contador is know that there's drugs in cycling.

You seem to think that if people don't make accusations that they can't back up with proof, it's 'Omerta'. Personally, I call it 'not being a ***'.

Here's a question. You're Evans. (Or a high profile clean rider, if you think Evans is doping). You're asked what you think about the Armstrong case. What do you say? Exact words, not what you'd hint at etc.
Omerta still means don't talk about it in order to downplay it. Many people still think it's much more isolated than rampant, and omerta is about keeping it that way, and Evans' statements are lockstep in line with that view.

What would I say? No comment. Seriously. I certainly wouldn't say horse**** like "Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport" .

Cycling bosses like Vaughters are still doing everything they can to cover up doping in the sport as much as possible, while at the same time cover up the cover up (which means having to appear like you're doing "the right thing" from time to time).

What would make me think things are moving in the right direction? When guys like Evans are confirming the stuff Landis said (not necessarily the same details).

Evans ain't that stupid to spit poison on LA's case, knowing perfectly that tomorrow he might well be the very subject of an investigation-or perhaps get exposed by someone in Italy leaking his dirty secrets. Omerta is very alive and Cadel knows better to play dumb when the subject is about doping.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
People try to twist every single word of what a rider says about doping and then link it back to them so it makes them a doper. Some of the posters on here are absolutely ridiculous.

Your very naive to think Evans would say stuff about Landis' accusations. He has never ridden with lance or landis on a team and why would he create an enemy? Just let it sort itself out and so be it. Overall cycling bosses are cleaning the sport up but evans has said that there will always be cheats in the sport. he fact they have caught many big riders says the system is working though it could be improved.

auscyclefan94 said:
People try to twist every single word of what a rider says about doping and then link it back to them so it makes them a doper. Some of the posters on here are absolutely ridiculous.

Your very naive to think Evans would say stuff about Landis' accusations. He has never ridden with lance or landis on a team and why would he create an enemy? Just let it sort itself out and so be it. Overall cycling bosses are cleaning the sport up but evans has said that there will always be cheats in the sport. he fact they have caught many big riders says the system is working though it could be improved.

Spot on Auscyclefan94....the Evans Haters are always gonne hate.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
People could be right to think hes guilty, but then he might not be. And, if hes found not guilty then he is even more innocent than before.

I think... He's fairly seriously mumbling

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
People try to twist every single word of what a rider says about doping and then link it back to them so it makes them a doper.

Is that anything like.... "People could be right to think hes guilty, but then he might not be. And, if hes found not guilty then he is even more innocent than before".

stupid is as stupid does bushboy

I think what "some Posters" are saying is
Evans is a box of rocks. he's too dumb to dope

auscyclefan94 said:

Yes, it would be naive to think that Evans would say anything about Landis' accusations. But why say anything at all? Isn't that more naive?

blaxland said:
Spot on Auscyclefan94....the Evans Haters are always gonne hate.

Independent of their love or hate, Evans haters, lover, or agnostics should be able to observe that the most recent TdF winner tested positive in the Tour. Meanwhile, Ricco is returning and that is messing up the Team points allocation. And, the first defrocked TdF doped winner is actively revealing extensive doping.

These lovers or haters should also be able to observe that the cancer is under a Federal investigation that is being conducted on at least two continents and involves the resources of an escalating number of investigative institutions and resources.

For Evans to comment at all is out of place, unless he has something meaningful to say. What he said was not meaningful - though it now has plenty of interpretations. If he has something meaningful to say, I am sure Novitzky would take the call.

The cycling bosses did nothing, and WADA was created. The cycling bosses did nothing - except possibly aid and abet - and now the FDA, FBI and Interpol are involved.

Given all of the doping swirl, any Evans lover or hater who believes that "Overall cycling bosses are cleaning up the sport" is either naive or an Ostrich.

That is not an ad hominem. That is simply looking at the unbelievable doping turmoil which the 'cycling bosses' are clearly in the middle of and likely the subject of the investigation as well.

Dave.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
For Evans to comment at all is out of place, unless he has something meaningful to say.

Yes, of course.

An answer of "No comment" would be quite well received if not applauded by those people attacking his comments in this thread...

oh wait.....

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Yes, it would be naive to think that Evans would say anything about Landis' accusations. But why say anything at all? Isn't that more naive?

Independent of their love or hate, Evans haters, lover, or agnostics should be able to observe that the most recent TdF winner tested positive in the Tour. Meanwhile, Ricco is returning and that is messing up the Team points allocation. And, the first defrocked TdF doped winner is actively revealing extensive doping.

These lovers or haters should also be able to observe that the cancer is under a Federal investigation that is being conducted on at least two continents and involves the resources of an escalating number of investigative institutions and resources.

For Evans to comment at all is out of place, unless he has something meaningful to say. What he said was not meaningful - though it now has plenty of interpretations. If he has something meaningful to say, I am sure Novitzky would take the call.

The cycling bosses did nothing, and WADA was created. The cycling bosses did nothing - except possibly aid and abet - and now the FDA, FBI and Interpol are involved.

Given all of the doping swirl, any Evans lover or hater who believes that "Overall cycling bosses are cleaning up the sport" is either naive or an Ostrich.
That is not an ad hominem. That is simply looking at the unbelievable doping turmoil which the 'cycling bosses' are clearly in the middle of and likely the subject of the investigation as well.

Dave.

So you think that Evans should say that mcquaid is a corrupt irish potato head and that he is destroying the sport and is covering up doping?

Evans was asked a fricken question about it. He answered it. If he said nothing then more suspicion from this forum would go to him.

AS much as people don't want to admit it because they love to have a problem to ***** about, cycling is cleaning up. Clearly there are still cheats out there but they are catching some big fish...A lot of people love and care about this sport and really want for the drug culture to be eliminated out of it as much as possible.

auscyclefan94 said:
So you think that Evans should say that mcquaid is a corrupt irish potato head and that he is destroying the sport and is covering up doping?

Evans was asked a fricken question about it. He answered it. If he said nothing then more suspicion from this forum would go to him.

AS much as people don't want to admit it because they love to have a problem to ***** about, cycling is cleaning up. Clearly there are still cheats out there but they are catching some big fish...A lot of people love and care about this sport and really want for the drug culture to be eliminated out of it as much as possible.

Easy, tiger. :p Almost nobody with vested interests is prepared to tell the whole story to the press. Whatever your man thinks, we'll have to wait until his (next?) autobiography comes out.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

i think a thick high pitched whining Aussie xxxx midget koala should kick Irish Potato heads...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
Not sure where Cadel's going with this one.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/dont-judge-too-fast-warns-evans-20101123-185oo.htm

Would someone kindly tell me what this means?

Sometimes rightly so...isn't always the case...were you or were you not cheated out of at least one Tour de France? Do you wonder about that, or do you also have a fridge hidden in a closet somewhere?

Is he running interference for Georgie Boy? Most pros have refrained from mentioning the elephant riding the bike. What's CE's motivation for such a jumbled statement?

You might have the thread title of the year. nice play with words

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Easy, tiger. :p Almost nobody with vested interests is prepared to tell the whole story to the press. Whatever your man thinks, we'll have to wait until his (next?) autobiography comes out.

Potato Head is a bit racsist u dirty Dingo

auscyclefan94 said:

I was asked what I would have to see to believe things are improving. My answer is seeing guys like Evans confirm the stuff Landis talked about, but not necessarily the same details. It couldn't be the same details due to not being on the same teams. But every team has similar stories, and when I see guys like Evans tell those stories then I'll know things are improving.

But as long as Evans and other continue to repeat the Omerta party lines like the laughable claim that cycling bosses are doing the right thing to clean up the sport I'll know nothing is changing significantly.

Stop defending Evans. He is in it just as deep as all the rest, and his words clearly reveal that.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
I was asked what I would have to see to believe things are improving. My answer is seeing guys like Evans confirm the stuff Landis talked about, but not necessarily the same details. It couldn't be the same details due to not being on the same teams. But every team has similar stories, and when I see guys like Evans tell those stories then I'll know things are improving.

But as long as Evans and other continue to repeat the Omerta party lines like the laughable claim that cycling bosses are doing the right thing to clean up the sport I'll know nothing is changing significantly.

Stop defending Evans. He is in it just as deep as all the rest, and his words clearly reveal that.

Evans was the first Pro cyclist quoted after AC's positive was announced and from what he said then, it looked like he'd been fed a bunch of talking points by the UCI. Everything he said, echoed AC and the UCI's initial statements with precision detail. Leading me to believe that Omerta is not just an unspoken reality within the peloton, but rather somehting more organized.

BotanyBay said:
Evans was the first Pro cyclist quoted after AC's positive was announced and from what he said then, it looked like he'd been fed a bunch of talking points by the UCI. Everything he said, echoed AC and the UCI's initial statements with precision detail. Leading me to believe that Omerta is not just an unspoken reality within the peloton, but rather somehting more organized.

Perhaps he is being 'groomed'.

Dave.

BotanyBay said:
I'd have to see the statements in question to decide for sure, but I don't believe it's that organized. The statements like those made by Evans that are being discussed in this thread seems to fall out logically from a few basic propagandistic notions that seem to be promoted by everyone in the peloton, and then echoed by the press and fans. Again, they pander to the ignorance.

"Cycling [bosses] are doing the right thing to try to clean up the sport". [1]-Cadel Evans, towing the Omerta party line.

TRENDING THREADS