• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans V Valverde...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The on going rivalry of the dauphine, the vuelta, the worlds between valverde and evans has been intensified as a new chapter needs to be written after the past few days of the tour down under.

Your thoughts about the rivalry...

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cadels Foo Fighters reference was lame. I guess he thought he looked smart.

Just found out LLS won stage 5 of the TDU. Now who was it I said weeks ago was the main threat on this stage weeks back? LLS. IF this season is this predictable in the first race of the season, then this year will be a breeze. Now to find a good bookie and some decent odds.

Evans vs Valverde. What is Evans turning down a notch? I thought he wanted Contador as his main adversary? Oh, he is taken. Either way, the Spaniards beat him enough for it to be a bit of a one sided rivalry, but at least Cuddles tries.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
How is the public perception of valverde in australia? Obviously, everybody on this forum knows about valv.piti. and all that, but is this common knowledge among the general public?

Well.......Few Australians know who he is, most Australians spend much of their time trying to run cyclists down. (I include a lot of cycling 'fans' in this group)

Most people I know who have some clue who he is regard him for what he is, the best cyclist of the previous year. However that my be to do with the circle that I mix in. Auscyclefan seems to have some rabid hatred for him I dont know if there are many others who share this fealing.

As for the doping investigation, nobody has a clue. But he aint doing anything anyone else aint doing as well.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
In australia Foo Fighters is what passes flor high culture :D

(awaits flamefest)

I was a fan. A decade ago. They were on fire then. They are so so these days. A decade ago Michael Klim turned up to a swim event with a temporary Foo Fighters tattoo on his bicep. That was cool. Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are nothing special musically anymore. Cadel is out of touch with fashion. Which explains his penchant for high culture and his aloof nature. He just doesn't get it. My mum thinks it is his mother and here hippie roots and his upbringing. Might be, he certainly has an elevated opinion of himself, after all he married a classical pianist and moved to Switzerland (there are many more telling signs, like his whining). High culture right there.

zapata said:
How is the public perception of valverde in australia? Obviously, everybody on this forum knows about valv.piti. and all that, but is this common knowledge among the general public?

The "general public" here will have heard of Armstrong, Contador and the leading Australians. Those that do know of Valverde probably know of the issues hanging over his head, but we're talking about a small percentage of the population. I think there is beginning to be an awareness of pro cycling in the general population, but that is not yet an informed awareness.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:

My favourite rider. The fanboy idiots on the SBS website jump on any articles that network reports about Valverde and show their ignorance. Most aren't aware of the legal implications of Puerto and what Judge Serrano had judicial power to do. Seal evidence. Meaning Valverde is clear and will not be suspended.

Most aussies who have heard about Valverde and Puerto have no clue. The casual followers of cycling know of the event but only the pure fans (those who follow 24/7 through trouble and turmoil) know all the facts. Opinions amongst the pure fans vary. My friends have heard of Armstrong and Evans and maybe Contador and Sastre (cause they won the Tour) but that is it. They don't know the names of other cyclists as they are not ardent fans of the sport. Surprisingly they admitted they believe all the winners are dopers.

My friends are very intelligent and are typical aussie sports fanatics, meaning they know a lot about a plethora of sports and their stars and the history. Except soccer. They have no clue then. Watch the socceroos fans when Australia get smacked in South Africa. Majority of the nation will be shocked and make an excuse (sound like someone we all know) to cover their ineptitude and prior dithering and BS.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Cadel is out of touch with fashion. Which explains his penchant for high culture and his aloof nature. He just doesn't get it. My mum thinks it is his mother and here hippie roots and his upbringing. Might be, he certainly has an elevated opinion of himself, after all he married a classical pianist and moved to Switzerland (there are many more telling signs, like his whining). High culture right there.

****...Looks like he and I have more in common than I thought. Except its my mum who is the concert pianist, and I tend to go out with hippies

He did bring his small ****ty dog to his wedding though, which is quite bogan.

53 x 11 said:
Well.......Few Australians know who he is, most Australians spend much of their time trying to run cyclists down. (I include a lot of cycling 'fans' in this group)

Most people I know who have some clue who he is regard him for what he is, the best cyclist of the previous year. However that my be to do with the circle that I mix in. Auscyclefan seems to have some rabid hatred for him I dont know if there are many others who share this fealing.

As for the doping investigation, nobody has a clue. But he aint doing anything anyone else aint doing as well.

Same as norway, then, pretty much. Afraid he was made out to be The Villain in the media. If there is indeed a rivalry between evans and valverde, I would hate it if it was portrayed as good vs evil, clean vs dirty, etc.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
Same as norway, then, pretty much. Afraid he was made out to be The Villain in the media. If there is indeed a rivalry between evans and valverde, I would hate it if it was portrayed as good vs evil, clean vs dirty, etc.

The dbag who presents our tour package called HWMNBM 3rd place in the tour a "victory for clean cycling".

This is his blog http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/blog-article/115657/One-for-the-ages-br
That is how little people understand.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Marmot said:
I seem to recall Evans made a Tweet about a Foo Fighters song that was somehow read as a criticism of Valverde.

All things being equal Valverde comes out on top every time. He owns the psychology, physiology and chemistry.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
****...Looks like he and I have more in common than I thought. Except its my mum who is the concert pianist, and I tend to go out with hippies

He did bring his small ****ty dog to his wedding though, which is quite bogan.

Didn't know that. That is the NT bogan roots coming through. That wins fans right there. Sounds like people I know who are getting married this weekend. They are bogan enough to bring the dogs to the wedding. I will ask them if they did next time I see them.

If Cadel bought a real dog, like the husky malamute cross I have at home, it will grow and grow. 12 weeks old and big enough and snappy enough that if you trod on it, I won't have to cut your head off, the dog will do it herself.

Oldman said:
All things being equal Valverde comes out on top every time. He owns the psychology, physiology and chemistry.

I'm not sure why you quoted me there, but I agree.

As a keen, but not obsessive, Australian cycling fan, I find Valverde to be one of the most entertaining riders to follow, whether he's mixing it at the finish of a stage or one day race, figuring among the contenders in a grand tour or even having one of his bad days. He also seems to be quite supportive of and cultivate good relationships with riders who are his countrymen, which is an area where Evans has struggled a bit. As for the Piti thing, for me, it does leave a bad taste, but he's got plenty of company in that regard and I feel that there are bigger blights on the sport.

I thought Valverde was fantastic today. It really made the race when he and LLS bridged across, and Valverde really put in some big turns on the front. Congratulations to LLS for the stage win. He's a classy rider.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Any rivalry between Valverde and Evans is in the minds of certain people on this forum. Considering that the initial posts were bemoaning the fact it was yet another stupid thread, it has managed to be several pages long....oh the irony of it all.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Gee, another Cadel thread started by auscyclefan. I swear you have Cadel OCD.

There must always be an odd number of Cadel topics, so when someone makes one, he has to set it straight by making another one.

A

Anonymous

53 x 11 said:

ABC radio discussed his problems on stage 3 coverage.. i think racing was referred to as a welcome diversion for him..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
My favourite rider. The fanboy idiots on the SBS website jump on any articles that network reports about Valverde and show their ignorance. Most aren't aware of the legal implications of Puerto and what Judge Serrano had judicial power to do. Seal evidence. Meaning Valverde is clear and will not be suspended.

Most aussies who have heard about Valverde and Puerto have no clue. The casual followers of cycling know of the event but only the pure fans (those who follow 24/7 through trouble and turmoil) know all the facts. Opinions amongst the pure fans vary. My friends have heard of Armstrong and Evans and maybe Contador and Sastre (cause they won the Tour) but that is it. They don't know the names of other cyclists as they are not ardent fans of the sport. Surprisingly they admitted they believe all the winners are dopers.

My friends are very intelligent and are typical aussie sports fanatics, meaning they know a lot about a plethora of sports and their stars and the history. Except soccer. They have no clue then. Watch the socceroos fans when Australia get smacked in South Africa. Majority of the nation will be shocked and make an excuse (sound like someone we all know) to cover their ineptitude and prior dithering and BS.

So you call people who like a rider idiots? Am I an idiot because of that?
if your friends are supposedly very intelligent and then they believe all winners are dopers don' you think that opnion is a bit harsh? You make it sound like you hang out with the upper class smarter people of society. don't take this the wrong way but you make it sound like your better than everyone else.

TRENDING THREADS