• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans vs Wiggins

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

All things considered who has had the more impressive career?

• Bradley Wiggins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
you lack a critical thinking. It is not in Evans' interests to be indulged by fanbois and yes men.

you can't just always look at what people have done wrong or could of done better. i doubt very much evans reads these forums, i am a supporter of him but i don't think people supporting him would make him feel embarrased. i have a feeling he likes the support. especially his guest book which he replies to frequently.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
easy to judge someone after they have ridden up some of the biggest, toughest passes in europe and then you want them to comment after they are fatigued and very sore and tired.

The media hunting like dogs. Not that day. Just following procedure and protocol. It was Victoria, the state you live in where Wiggins was being interviewed, not Europe. As Blackcat said, decorum and manners. Never said I wanted him to comment. But that does not excuse complaining when the press were at the finish. He's the biggest rider on the biggest team at the Jayco Herald Tour. Heck he had three to five metres between him and reporters and journalists and was getting awkward. They were not pushing him and gave were not invading his personal space. He was trippin or getting shirty. Perhaps he should chill in future and politely say he needs some alone time for 10 minutes rather than act like a child. We've all heard what a relaxed guy he is on the bike and in the peloton, that shouldn't change in front of camera. Journalists don't bite.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
The media hunting like dogs. Not that day. Just following procedure and protocol. It was Victoria, the state you live in where Wiggins was being interviewed, not Europe. As Blackcat said, decorum and manners. Never said I wanted him to comment. But that does not excuse complaining when the press were at the finish. He's the biggest rider on the biggest team at the Jayco Herald Tour. Heck he had three to five metres between him and reporters and journalists and was getting awkward. They were not pushing him and gave were not invading his personal space. He was trippin or getting shirty. Perhaps he should chill in future and politely say he needs some alone time for 10 minutes rather than act like a child. We've all heard what a relaxed guy he is on the bike and in the peloton, that shouldn't change in front of camera. Journalists don't bite.

I think you misunderstood my comment. I was just making that comment as a generalised statement especially after one day races and after stages of grand tours that the media hound riders when they need time to catch their breath and clear their heads.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I think you misunderstood my comment. I was just making that comment as a generalised statement especially after one day races and after stages of grand tours that the media hound riders when they need time to catch their breath and clear their heads.

Riders earn good money for what they do and part of their job is promoting the sport , the media circus is part of the sport and the riders have to accept that whether they like it or not .

I seen the interview with Brad the other night and he sounded like a tool, the journalists didnt ask any unreasonable questions and surely he should be obligated to provided a meaningful insight for his thousands of fans that follow him throughout the year.

Cycling receives minimul media coverage compared to other sports ( im speaking in Australia) and this couldnt be a good way to attract new fans or sponsors to the sport.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ill clear my post up cause it sounds like im just slagging off on Brad but thats not the case i mean it in general.

Im a fan of Cadel ill admit that but thats cause im a fan of all Aussies in all sports , i definately dont agree with how Cadel slags off on his teammates all the time , especially coming from Australia which is big in team sports your taught to support your team mates through thick and thin , you all win together and all lose together

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Blake792008 said:
Riders earn good money for what they do and part of their job is promoting the sport , the media circus is part of the sport and the riders have to accept that whether they like it or not .

I seen the interview with Brad the other night and he sounded like a tool, the journalists didnt ask any unreasonable questions and surely he should be obligated to provided a meaningful insight for his thousands of fans that follow him throughout the year.

Cycling receives minimul media coverage compared to other sports ( im speaking in Australia) and this couldnt be a good way to attract new fans or sponsors to the sport.

Blake, you're flat-out wrong. Riders DO NOT have to put up with the often very poor behaviour directed at them by the 'media circus'. With respect to the Wiggins interview, maybe cut him some slack, as we don't know what went on prior to what was telecast. I agree he didn't come across very well, but you have no idea of knowing what was said beforehand. Remember that these riders are ordinary people who happen to be extra-ordinary athletes, they're not perfect just like you and I and therefore we shouldn't judge them any differently

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Blake792008 said:
Ill clear my post up cause it sounds like im just slagging off on Brad but thats not the case i mean it in general.

Im a fan of Cadel ill admit that but thats cause im a fan of all Aussies in all sports , i definately dont agree with how Cadel slags off on his teammates all the time , especially coming from Australia which is big in team sports your taught to support your team mates through thick and thin , you all win together and all lose together

slagging off is a bit of an overstatement. Silence weren't up to it.

A

Anonymous

I think people are quick to judge cyclists at the end of a race, personally, I don't pay much attention to post race interviews... I don't believe the riders have a responsibility to talk to the media after the race. It's not their job, and I highly doubt any rider would sign a contract stating that they MUST give post-race interviews.

From a journalist's perspective, I think they would be better to all stand back, but it's a bit of a prisoner's dillemma problem, so the worst outcome (all journalists hassling riders) will usually occur.

Say there are 5 journalists, all pushing for a post-race interview. Clearly, the best outcome is for all 5 to sit back, and wait for the rider to speak. But if all 5 wait back, there is an incentive for ONE journalist to then get closer to the rider. Given this individual incentive, there is the same incentive for ALL journalists, so, they all simultaneously push close to the rider to get the prized interview.

Personally, if I were a pro (or should I say 'when I turn Pro' ;):p ) I would just let the media know, give me ten minutes, and a little space, and i'll answer your questions. If they don't give you space, then firmly say "NO INTERVIEW FOR YOU!!!" (ala Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld)

A

Anonymous

Mountain Goat said:
Personally, if I were a pro (or should I say 'when I turn Pro' ;):p ) I would just let the media know, give me ten minutes, and a little space, and i'll answer your questions. If they don't give you space, then firmly say "NO INTERVIEW FOR YOU!!!" (ala Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld)

trouble is, then you get the internet forum types saying you are an arrogant so an so, when the clips appear on youtube..

you cant win..

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
trouble is, then you get the internet forum types saying you are an arrogant so an so, when the clips appear on youtube..

you cant win..

Follow the thread and stop trolling.

Wiggins was on One HD a dedicated sports channel riding the Jayco Herald Tour at the end of a stage, acting weirdly and with plenty of room to move about. Want me to repeat it? He could have swung that bike of his like he did in Mendrisio and he wouldn't have hit anyone. That is how much room he had. Ten journalists and cameras max. He has issues guys.

Why do I bother? We've pointed this out to the Brits before, you in particular dimspace. In this instance, Wiggins looked like a prat and an immature idiot mumbling that he did not want to talk because his brain could not comprehend what type of answer the press would require. He needs PR training. The irony is that the scenario Mountain Goat suggested is very close to what happened and that still wasn't good enough for Wiggins! He controlled the entire event. No pressure in a relaxed laid back environment. Some times people get out on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe he had an incident on the road? It doesn't matter, he still looked like a douchebag, which I hope and fear doesn't become a regular habit.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Follow the thread and stop trolling.

Wiggins was on One HD a dedicated sports channel riding the Jayco Herald Tour at the end of a stage, acting weirdly and with plenty of room to move about. Want me to repeat it? He could have swung that bike of his like he did in Mendrisio and he wouldn't have hit anyone. That is how much room he had. Ten journalists and cameras max. He has issues guys.

Why do I bother? We've pointed this out to the Brits before, you in particular dimspace. In this instance, Wiggins looked like a prat and an immature idiot mumbling that he did not want to talk because his brain could not comprehend what type of answer the press would require. He needs PR training. The irony is that the scenario Mountain Goat suggested is very close to what happened and that still wasn't good enough for Wiggins! He controlled the entire event. No pressure in a relaxed laid back environment. Some times people get out on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe he had an incident on the road? It doesn't matter, he still looked like a douchebag, which I hope and fear doesn't become a regular habit.

its worth bearing in mind that it was the first time he'd raced in australia since his dad had died, and to be doing so well in the race, this could affected him. you just dont know.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

Wiggins got paid a chump of cash also, to ride the Sun Tour.

Look at the field now, the Tour of Hainan has a better field than this years Sun Tour. All the start fees and the appearance money went in Wiggins pocket.

It was a disappointing field.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Great, another race organiser paying one rider to turn up and represent.

I think I might need that group hug. He gets handed the win after pocketing sums of money. Is this a scene we will see repeated? Hopefully someone will have the courage to say no.

Having recently learned of Wiggins booze problems, I wonder what quantity of thoe hard earned appearance fees was wasted in the pub and on the pokies?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Great, another race organiser paying one rider to turn up and represent.

I think I might need that group hug. He gets handed the win after pocketing sums of money. Is this a scene we will see repeated? Hopefully someone will have the courage to say no.

Having recently learned of Wiggins booze problems, I wonder what quantity of thoe hard earned appearance fees was wasted in the pub and on the pokies?
the booze problems are overrated. It is merely a justification of his improvement.

Landis liked a drink in Gerona too, but he could still win the Tour.

A

Anonymous

Galic Ho said:

he hasnt got a booze problem.. hes just british.. most of us drink like that.. even the girls drink pints and throw the cork away when they open a bottle of wine..

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear that. What I'd been hearing on forums sounded like Wiggins had a tendency to over indulge. If its just a British thing I can relate to that. Plenty of aussies do the same. Its different however if he drinks to get plastered on every outing.

TRENDING THREADS