• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Parrulo said:
this forum has been a bit agressive/grumoy the past few days

anyway

Probably just because now, with the first weekend of proper racing out of the way up here, some people are understandably feeling a bit flat.

Some users' favourites won't have done as well as expected, other users are gloating while there's not yet much else around with which to compare their early successes.

Therefore I counsel patience. I doubt there will be so much antipathy by the time we reach the next little void between LBL and the Giro.

jaylew said:
I agree. Is it really necessary to become aggressive or rude just because someone disagrees with you?

i think its the anticipation, the real season starts now so people are "nervous" there is a better word but tbh i don't know how to type it ;_;

btw i meant grumpy, damn typos

oh you l'arriviste sniping me :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Cadel evans, whom hasn't trained for the cobbles maybe. But if cadel (maybe not now, but a few years ago) put his effort into rvv, I'm sure he could be up there with these guys no problem.

RVV is no PR. Evans is pretty good on the short steep stuff, and his build could have worked well on cobbles at RVV (which are no way near as bad as the PR cobbles).

lol where did he insult a monument. You get offended whenever someone suggest they could do well in any Belgian race, whom isn't from Belgium. Get over yourself.

Yes and if Boonen would have lost weight he would be good in the hilly classics

All what ifs.

And saying that Flanders has weak competition is insulting yes. Has nothing to do with Belgium which you bring up all the time. Most of the guys I named that could beat Cuddles any time on the cobbles aren't even Belgian. Perhaps you should actually read all posts instead of rambling on about Belgians. Get over yourself :)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Boogerd was 9th at Flanders. Nothing special, wasn't close to winning as well. Both Cancellara and Boonen had some injuries in 2007 anyway. And now there's fresh talent in guys like Philippe Gilbert, Breschel, Haussler, etc
Today there are many different nationalities in the race and the competition is way tougher now then back in early 2000s. If you can't see that then well, I won't waste anymore time on you.
he was trown of his bike on the muur. don't judge on results. boogerd was oen of the best that day :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he was trown of his bike on the muur. don't judge on results. boogerd was oen of the best that day :rolleyes:

Bike handling skills.

You
need
it
at
the
Ronde
van
Vlaanderen

Crash caused by others?

Your
own
fault
you
should
have
been
in
the
front
anyway

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

All what ifs.

And saying that Flanders has weak competition is insulting yes. Has nothing to do with Belgium which you bring up all the time. Most of the guys I named that could beat Cuddles any time on the cobbles aren't even Belgian. Perhaps you should actually read all posts instead of rambling on about Belgians. Get over yourself :)

:confused: as far as i know this is the first time I brought them up, but ok chief. One of the first times I think I've even replied to your dribble.

And the guys you mentioned had nothing to do with my point, yours post are constantly aggressive when anyone mentioned anything regarding Belgium (oh no phinney has hype on cobbles.. how dare people see any potential there. Right?), relax pal. :rolleyes:

May 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

All what ifs.

And saying that Flanders has weak competition is insulting yes. Has nothing to do with Belgium which you bring up all the time. Most of the guys I named that could beat Cuddles any time on the cobbles aren't even Belgian.

Why is the truth insulting? Cobblestones are a niche in cycling. Where do you think young Italian, Spannish, French, German and American cyclists are selected on? Whether they can climb, time trial or sprint. Belgium (and maybe to a lesser degree Netherlands) is the only place where young riders who can ride well over cobblestones have a better chance to become pro.

It's a truism to say that races that have the characteristics that favor the one thing every major cycling nation appreciates in young pros (climbing ability) have a better field than races that cater to a niche (cobblestones).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
:confused: as far as i know this is the first time I brought them up, but ok chief.

And the guys you mentioned had nothing to do with my point, yours post are constantly aggressive when anyone mentioned anything regarding Belgium (oh no phinney has hype on cobbles.. how dare people see any potential there. Right?), relax pal. :rolleyes:

If someone says Di Luca can easily win Flanders if he wanted then yes I'll react in a more aggressive way :)

You know, if he really wanted, maar waarom moeite doen voor een kermiskoerske zoals de Ronde van Vlaanderen?

It's really the biggest garbage I've read here.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Why is the truth insulting? Cobblestones are a niche in cycling. Where do you think young Italian, Spannish, French, German and American cyclists are selected on? Whether they can climb, time trial or sprint. Belgium (and maybe to a lesser degree Netherlands) is the only place where young riders who can ride well over cobblestones have a better chance to become pro.

It's a truism to say that races that have the characteristics that favor the one thing every major cycling nation appreciates in young pros (climbing ability) have a better field than races that cater to a niche (cobblestones).

Omloop het nieuwsblad 2010: Juan Antonio Flecha
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne: Bobbie Traksel
Gent-Wevelgem. Eissel
E3 Prijs Vlaanderen: Fabian Cancellara
Dwars door Vlaanderen: Matti Breschel
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Fabian Cancellara
Paris-Roubaix(yeah, it's flemish): Fabian Cancellara

I see a lot of Belgians there!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't my garbage, I am only discussing evans, the topic of the thread.
But anyone with any idea must realize cuddles could potentially have done well on the cobbles (from what he has done, he has done well), RVV with out the cobbles would already suit him some what. Thus we have means to believe he could do well.

No need to reply if your just gonna cry about what ifs and comparisons to riders who do choose to concentrate to the cobbles. Thanks.

El Pistolero said:
Gent-Wevelgem. Eissel

Flecha and Cancellara are the exceptions that prove the rule. Which other cobbles riders do you know from Spain or Switzerland?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Wasn't my garbage, I am only discussing evans, the topic of the thread.
But anyone with any idea must realize cuddles could potentially have done well on the cobbles (from what he has done, he has done well), RVV with out the cobbles would already suit him some what. Thus we have means to believe he could do well.

No need to reply if your just gonna cry about what ifs and comparisons to riders who do choose to concentrate to the cobbles. Thanks.

We're talking about Cuddles how he is now not how he potentially could have done. Because they're just what ifs. What if Boonen had anorexia?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Flecha and Cancellara are the exceptions that prove the rule. Which other cobbles riders do you know from Spain or Switzerland?

What other decent cyclist do you know from Switzerland?

Yes, the Spanish are notorious for not having good bike handling skills. Nothing to be proud of. Although it's funny to see Euskaltel at the Ronde.

Breschel and Haussler are also exceptions? :)

If Cuddles was 22 years old and trained on the cobbles then yes he could have done well in them. Why? Because he has a lot of talent. If Boonen was 22 years old and trained on the hills of Luik then yes he could have done well in them. Why? Because he has a lot of talent.

In this generation of cycling I see a lot of different nationalities in Flemish races, not just Belgians. And I'm proud of that :) If all the races would be totally dominated by Belgians alone then the races would mean less. But that's not the case anymore. In the early 2000s I would have agreed, but now? Hell no.

El Pistolero said:
We're talking about Cuddles how he is now not how he potentially could have done. Because they're just what ifs. What if Boonen had anorexia?
Someone dared to suggest that Evans (former world champion, guy with one of the biggest engines in the peloton, one of the strongest riders in the world) could do well in Flanders. This did not go down well in the chauvinist department...

El Pistolero said:
What other decent cyclist do you know from Switzerland?

Yes, the Spanish are notorious for not having good bike handling skills. Nothing to be proud of. Although it's funny to see Euskaltel at the Ronde.

Breschel and Haussler are also exceptions? :)
Of course Haussler is an exception. How many cobbled roads do you think they have in Australia?

Other Swiss cyclists: Albasini, Tschopp, Morabito, Zaugg... see a pattern emerging? All climbers.

And Denmark isn't exactly teeming with cobbles riders either.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gent-Wevelgem. Eissel

The only thing this proves is that despite the huge focus on cobblestones by the Belgiums, they still can't beat the competition. Non of those guys, outside maybe Traksel, became pro because they could ride so well over cobblestones, Flecha probably never saw one before he became pro.

The only thing I'm saying is that if every major cycling nation (apart from Belgium) selects his young riders on their ability to climb, eventually you'll end up with the situation that races that demand someone can climb are the most contested. I don't see how anyone can deny that, and I haven't seen a single argument that disproves it.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Of course Haussler is an exception. How many cobbled roads do you think they have in Australia?

Other Swiss cyclists: Albasini, Tschopp, Morabito, Zaugg... see a pattern emerging? All climbers.

And Denmark isn't exactly teeming with cobbles riders either.

I said decent cyclists.

i don't really see how is it impossible for a guy like evans, di luca or valverde to win the ronde.

david millar was only droped by gilbert and leukmans on the muur this year. and those 3 are much better riders.

oh they prolly don't try to go for the ronde cus they also have goals after the classics. gilbert can afford to be on form from the ronde till liege cus then he usually rests till the vuelta. but valverde di luca and evans also try to contend for GT's so getting too tired on the classics prolly isn't a good idea.

thays just my opinion tho

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
The only thing this proves is that despite the huge focus on cobblestones by the Belgiums, they still can't beat the competition. Non of those guys, outside maybe Traksel, became pro because they could ride so well over cobblestones, Flecha probably never saw one before he became pro.

The only thing I'm saying is that if every major cycling nation (apart from Belgium) selects his young riders on their ability to climb, eventually you'll end up with the situation that races that demand someone can climb are the most contested. I don't see how anyone can deny that, and I haven't seen a single argument that disproves it.

Flecha was already in love with the cobbles when he was a kid.

And the only thing that proves it is that people rather win Paris-Roubaix than LBL.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont mind it personaly. Havent seen anything too bad on this thread.

SO long as people arent going ott with ad hominems a bit of banter can make it better to read.

I 100% agree with this. Banter is good, and healthy.

@el pist.
You don't get it i see. This isn't a boonen thread, it is an evans thread, thus a boonen what if situation really doesn't have any place here ;) But wait, here we've been discussing evans abilities, and as youngest mentioned (big engine, gutsy rider etc) evans has the attributes that seem like he could do quite well in RVV and races alike. It appears there are a number of posters agree, so why you are making a big deal out of what is only a 'what if' situation is beyond me. You've already stated that you disagree, no need to further whine. ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Bike handling skills.

You
need
it
at
the
Ronde
van
Vlaanderen

Crash caused by others?

Your
own
fault
you
should
have
been
in
the
front
anyway

he was thrown of by a johan museeuw fan. cycling hooligans are only in belgium. my god you really confirm my points in other topics. you are a truly belgian calimero :rolleyes: live must be hard for you needing to constantly defend your country