• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING ON THESE FORUMS HE'S THE NEXT CANCELLARA OR BOONEN IN THE NORTHERN CLASSICS.

Someone can be overhyped if he hasn't proven anything yet. Those people need to wait to say he's the future in the northern classics until he actually entered a classic yes.
It's also possible to spot potential in certain riders. And Phinney obviously has a lot of potential. He had the capability to absolutely dominate U23 races, unlike any other. That's a start.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's also possible to spot potential in certain riders. And Phinney obviously has a lot of potential. He had the capability to absolutely dominate U23 races, unlike any other. That's a start.

Yup, but I'm not going to hype him before he actually enters a real classic :) I've seen too many promising neo pros fail to think otherwise.

Sagan and Edvald Boasson Hagen for example have a bright future ahead of them. Phinney? Don't know. A question mark as of now.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, going to parties getting drunk and sniffing coke sure means you have a strong mentality.

he is a winner and a killer on the bike. what he does in his free time has nothing to do with him on the bike. maybe if steegmans would sniff coke here and there he would be more focussed on the bike when he's not using drugs like boonen. everyone needs to let steam off once in a while.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

only the flat u23 races yes and itt's although not nearly to the extent of guys like kai reus, thomas dekker, yaroslav popovych, evgeny petrov and pieter weening to name a few.

I was just about to say Phinney didn't dominate nearly as much as Popovych or Dekker did in the U23 categories.
For one, he didn't win any races that went uphill. Major difference already.

Dekker and Popovych simply had no competition, except at the worlds, then one or two super peakers beat them. The whole year through they dominated where they started

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I was just about to say Phinney didn't dominate nearly as much as Popovych or Dekker did in the U23 categories.

Dekker and Popovych simply had no competition, except at the worlds, then one or two super peakers beat them. The whole year through they dominated where they started

A 194 cm 82 kg track rider, sprinter and itter didnt win any races that went uphill.

Do tell. :cool:

Ryo Hazuki said:
actually evans has an INCREDIBLE engine. he's just limited in other parts mostly mentally. he's always afraid other riders profit from his effors. look at the tour 2008 when sastre attacked evans didn;'t dare to do his own little mountainitt with the schlecks in his wheel. mentally the guy is so weak he will never win a gt.

Ok. I'll give him that. In fact I never said he didn't have a good engine, just not as good as his chief rivals. That's what I meant, if I didn't do a good job of expressing it.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i also asked him to enlighten me on the subject but seems like we won't get a reply :(

Enlighten you with what? Didnt you see the clendoper being dropped by Samu Sanchez? Twice?

Didnt you see the TT performance where he was 2 minutes behind Menchov? Where he barely beat Sanchez with 8 seconds? The same Sanchez that crashed 2 days before the TT.

Is such facts really that hard to imagine?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
i'm a biased aussie, but i still rate cuddles.

he'd have likely won the Tour in 2007 and 8 if he'd had a proper team. contador's victories are under a massive cloud. people forget that cuddles was on song last year before he broke his elbow.

there's little doubt cuddles has the physiology to win it. let's be honest, it's his mind that's let him down previously. his learning curve on the pro tour was steep, due to his MTB background. but there's evidence he's straightened that out now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Trev_S said:
I think Evans can do pretty well, he's a good chance of a podium and therefore a shot of winning.
Bertie (I think) is still a 50/50 starter and if he gets a start how will he go with the extra attention the Clen positive is going to bring him??
One thing I forgot that also works in Evans (and others) favour.
Bertie is doing the Giro and (assuming) will be racing to win it.
If he is taken to CAS that would essentially mean no riding? (hence my 50/50 start for the tour comment)
He'll be looking to get the most out of the season when he can. That would be race to win the Giro. So if he gets a start in the tour that would probably take a little sting out of him. He may not then be the force people think as a result of the Giro.

Evans is a very good chance and one of 5 riders who I would consider as possible winner.

Trev_S said:
One thing I forgot that also works in Evans (and others) favour.
Bertie is doing the Giro and (assuming) will be racing to win it.
If he is taken to CAS that would essentially mean no riding? (hence my 50/50 start for the tour comment)
He'll be looking to get the most out of the season when he can. That would be race to win the Giro. So if he gets a start in the tour that would probably take a little sting out of him. He may not then be the force people think as a result of the Giro.

Evans is a very good chance and one of 5 riders who I would consider as possible winner.

Who are the other 4?

on3m@n@rmy said:
It's hard to be an assassin when it can't be backed up. I think Cadel has the cajones... just not the engine, as many posters before me have put in various ways. Also, his engine isn't too far off some of the others. I'm hoping he finds a way to get more out of what he's got.

I think Cadel has a very good engine, not like the best but petty darn strong. He has not benefitted from having a great team work for him either. So he needed to better tactically I suppose. If possible. I would still rather see him do some insane attack and die like a dog than not try at all.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Who are the other 4?

Maybe Baby Schleck, Samu Sanchez, Jurgen and Gesink.

One could argue that Basso is among the favourites to the overall victory. But since he is making an agressive approach to the Tour, ill bet my money he will crack in the final week and do a "cuddles".

biopass said:
Maybe Baby Schleck, Samu Sanchez, Jurgen and Gesink.

One could argue that Basso is among the favourites to the overall victory. But since he is making an agressive approach to the Tour, ill bet my money he will crack in the final week and do a "cuddles".

Well Giro or no Giro, CAS or no CAS, Contador has to be one of the 5.

And the idea of Jurgen better than Basso is laughable.

I was testing to see which person Trev excluded. The obvious answer would be Gesink, but in case he said Samu, i was ready with my usual "another person underates Samu", piece.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:

he'd have likely won the Tour in 2007 and 8 if he'd had a proper team. contador's victories are under a massive cloud. people forget that cuddles was on song last year before he broke his elbow.

no no no no no no. Delusional.

Evans may have been in yellow (congrats on him doing well on cobbles), but never was he on even terms in climbing. never, and he was going to crack regardless of the injury. Do people not realize that the giro - tour (even more so last year considering how the giro panned out) double is basically impossible, people whom do both with no sign of fatigue belong in just 1 forum here ;) Please don't bore me with this 'poor evans would have won.. blah blah charade.

What posses you to think, that evans, a guy whom has never outclimbed the likes of sanchez, gesink, menchov etc on a consistant basis was going to be able to do so after a long grueling giro last year? I'm sure he would have stuck with ac and as, no problemo :rolleyes:

I maintain evans has never been a natural climber, not comparable to the likes of AS, AC, Gesink, Samu, Basso etc.

It's a pretty wide known fact that if those guys win a GT, they will win it on their climbing. Unlike evans, whom it was always a case of 'just hang in there cadel, and then whip them in the tt." I can never remember a GT he competed in, when something similar as that hasn't been mentioned. It was never a case of Cadel will stamp his authority in the mountains, but rather survive the mountains, and take it from there. Never. ACF's reaction to a mountainious tour route this year is case in point. If cadel were so mighty in the mountains, why would he care? ;)
So yeah, I'm pretty unconvinced with the notion that evans is one of the elite climbers. He'd have an GT to his name by now if it were true.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
whoah! strawman. i didn't say cuddles was going to win last year's TdF - i just said he was riding well. he may have won the Giro if he didn't get sick.

i'm unsure what your point about his climbing is - we all know he's not a pure climber and needs to take time back in the TTs. admittedly that will be difficult in this year's Tour, but perhaps he will turn up a couple of kg lighter? (hopefully thanks to jenny craig, not dr fuentes)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
Enlighten you with what? Didnt you see the clendoper being dropped by Samu Sanchez? Twice?

Didnt you see the TT performance where he was 2 minutes behind Menchov? Where he barely beat Sanchez with 8 seconds? The same Sanchez that crashed 2 days before the TT.

Yeah, Sanchez never dropped Contador.

Contador was peaking for the third time already that season while Samu did nothing before july like usual.
Oh forgive me, he won a stage at the Basque country where he couldn't even beat Chris Horner for the overall. And he got dropped by Contador in P-N in pretty much every stage.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
delbified said:

there's little doubt cuddles has the physiology to win it. let's be honest, it's his mind that's let him down previously. his learning curve on the pro tour was steep, due to his MTB background. but there's evidence he's straightened that out now.

Cuddles couldn't win 2007 despite it having a lot of time trial kms, the leader of the race getting thrown out after being so stupid of letting him go in a breakaway which was the only reason of him being in yellow anyway, Contador getting 2 flat tires in Tires(lol) and Briançon and Contador was... 23-24 years old riding his second GT ever...

Yeah, I tell you this, he'll never win the Tour even if all the luck in the world is with him.

There's more chance of Kenny van Hummel to win the Tour next year than Cuddles.

El Pistolero said:

Contador was peaking for the third time already that season while Samu did nothing before july like usual.
Oh forgive me, he won a stage at the Basque country where he couldn't even beat Chris Horner for the overall. And he got dropped by Contador in P-N in pretty much every stage.

What you got against Samu. Is it that hes the most loved guy in the peloton :cool:

Yeah hes no Contador but who is. Hes still a very impressive rider who excels at a different race each year. And he has something that neither Gilbert nor Contador ever will

Img214522039.jpg

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Of course he didn't dominate climbing races. He can't climb. But in Paris-Roubaix and Olympia's Tour, he was far and away the strongest. He's a totally different rider than Dekker, you of all people should know that.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
delbified said:
whoah! strawman. i didn't say cuddles was going to win last year's TdF - i just said he was riding well. he may have won the Giro if he didn't get sick.

i'm unsure what your point about his climbing is - we all know he's not a pure climber and needs to take time back in the TTs. admittedly that will be difficult in this year's Tour, but perhaps he will turn up a couple of kg lighter? (hopefully thanks to jenny craig, not dr fuentes)

apologies not the entire post was directed at you. My every post in this thread is that he isn't a pure climber, but I had replies that he is infact a elite-climber.

hitch don't tempt gilbert. :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What you got against Samu. Is it that hes the most loved guy in the peloton :cool:

Yeah hes no Contador but who is. Hes still a very impressive rider who excels at a different race each year. And he has something that neither Gilbert nor Contador ever will

Img214522039.jpg

I have nothing against Samu, I just stated facts.

Gilbert would rather win LBL than Olympic gold anyway :p

Olympics in 2016 could be something for Gilbert by the way.

biopass said:

El Pistolero said:

^^that

also you are basing your entire opinion on contador on something that happened in le tour( or that didn't happen at all in the case of sanchez dropping him) do you watch cycling all season long? cus if you do you clearly saw a different contador then i did all season long last year.

btw this isn't the clinic so no need to mention clentuberol in every single 1 of your posts