• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Winterfold said:
If Evans is in a race then he races. This is admirable.

Agreed. It's great to see a man with an unstoppable desire to win races. Although sometimes I think that is just what stopping him from getting real successes in the big events. Like last year, when he peaked way too early for the Giro and suffered badly the last week. He always want to be competetive and in the long run you will end up winning far to little with regards to your potential. It will be great to see him at the Tour later this year but personally I'd like to see him doing the Giro/Vuelta next year wich I think he should have a good chance of winning (the can't have climbers courses every year, can they?).

auscyclefan94 said:
Archibald, you should be honoured that my 10,000th post is quoting you;). I like to see some emotion, it shows how much it means to the rider and shows they are human. It is real and raw and after someone who has been riding for 6 hours and takes a victory, they are at their most vulnerable state. This is real emotion and not some charade.

don't get me wrong, it was a tongue in cheek joke more than anything. I like seeing Cuddles on the top of the podium, but after all the grit/fight/determination he displays it does get a little tedious that he suddenly turns it on like the Miss World pagent queen winners ;) - call me old-fashioned but I'd rather see some kind of two-fists-in-the-air-"f*ck-yeah" type victory salute/celebration

as for 10,000 and being quoted...

we%27re+not+worthy.jpg

*assuming you know the Wayne's World reference ;)

was thinking the same after the Romandie win.

what's his next race?
I'm starting to get the feeling he may well have a good TdF this year, and who knows, Schlecklet may end up fart-ar$ing about with mechanical issues again if he isn't too busy dropping back for bidons, etc...

will miss him at the Giro though

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
was thinking the same after the Romandie win.

what's his next race?
I'm starting to get the feeling he may well have a good TdF this year, and who knows, Schlecklet may end up fart-ar$ing about with mechanical issues again if he isn't too busy dropping back for bidons, etc...

will miss him at the Giro though

The team seems to be alleviating some of the effort necessary for him to win so far this year. Anyone have a good sense of how his teammates are faring and their T de F condition?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Again Saquatch is wrong.

He said before Tirreno that BMC would win anything this year. Guess what? They did.

He said after Amstel that cadel or bmc wouldn't win anything else. Guess what? They did.

You can make up your own mind.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
No.

I said BMC's only wins will come through Cadel if they did win again.

I clearly stated that no BMC rider other than Cadel will win a race. (That was after Tirreno-Adriatico).

There is no rider on the BMC roster that is capable of winning a race other than Cadel. That is fact. BMC's only wins can come from Cadel.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Seeing Evans fail his goals is better than sex and a head job. So I hope you are right.
It's obvious you hate Evans. Just blatant hatred. And you just post it to provoke people
Sasquatch said:
No.

I said BMC's only wins will come through Cadel if they did win again.

I clearly stated that no BMC rider other than Cadel will win a race. (That was after Tirreno-Adriatico).

There is no rider on the BMC roster that is capable of winning a race other than Cadel. That is fact. BMC's only wins can come from Cadel.

I found this...

Sasquatch said:
Evans has already won a race this year. That's the only one BMC will win. If they win another one, Evans will fluke one. None of the other riders are capable of it.

I guess Cadel fluked Romandie?:rolleyes:

I wonder what will happen to his prospects now there is no Ballan. TP for the TTT now, DEFINITELY. It's good for Cadel as he never has to get his teammates to work so much for him in a GT as he has weak teammates. I think he can podium. Imagine what would be possible if he had a good mountain domestique, Syzmd, Navarro, Duarte etc.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It's obvious you hate Evans. Just blatant hatred. And you just post it to provoke people

I found this...

I guess Cadel fluked Romandie?:rolleyes:

Well, I did say that no other riders are capable of winning in that post.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:
I wonder what will happen to his prospects now there is no Ballan. TP for the TTT now, DEFINITELY. It's good for Cadel as he never has to get his teammates to work so much for him in a GT as he has weak teammates. I think he can podium. Imagine what would be possible if he had a good mountain domestique, Syzmd, Navarro, Duarte etc.

Ballen would not been at the Tour anyway

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:

ps here is the team I think for Evans for the Tour it´s not too bad - best he has had for his career and they all seem motivated to ride for him which maybe a 1st as well ;)

Evans, Hincapie ( rd capt), Quinziato, Van Avermaet, Bookwalter, Burghardt, Moinard, Morabito, Santaromita

If they sign Matty L then I guess Santaromita will sit out. Good TTT squad ( not best but top 4 if they get it right), can control the race up till the high Mountains and depending on Hincapie climbing will have support in the mountains till it goes off - but it will be better if Bertie lines up for Saxo to have a strong team rather than BMC having to work.

Yeah i know they will work their hearts out for him. What i meant was unless he was leader his team will not have to go to the front. I think Ballan would have rode it. And yes BMC don't have a bad line up just no stark talent ( morabito previous astana rider in their 2009 TDF ultimate team, GVA and TP expected) Hincapie a road captain. I think Moinard has missed his chance, however BMC might turn him on the right path. Also the team in 2008 was ok for Evans: Horner, Brandt, Popo. They just had to divide attention for Robbie M

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I think they would be stupid to take Phinney to the tour.

1 he will probably fall

2 he could not finish with most of the sprinters last week so may miss out with time before the TTT

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
evans has a great chance to podium the TDF if nothing else goes wrong. And there are other riders who can win in BMC.

Not really. Sure you can count on someone winning eventually out of a breakaway, but those things are impossible to predict.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
I think they would be stupid to take Phinney to the tour.

1 he will probably fall

2 he could not finish with most of the sprinters last week so may miss out with time before the TTT

BMC's time trialing is week so Evans will lose time in the TTT to the other favourites. Therefore, using Phinney means that he can limit his losses and Phinney can just abandon after the first week or something. It's not like he will be replacing someone important on the team.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
BMC's time trialing is week so Evans will lose time in the TTT to the other favourites. Therefore, using Phinney means that he can limit his losses and Phinney can just abandon after the first week or something. It's not like he will be replacing someone important on the team.

their TTT is pretty good if they have a team like evans, morabito,hincapie, van avermaet, moinard, santamorita, bookwalter, quinziato, burghardt.
but they might want to concentrate on their climbing strength so it depends if they choose TTT or climbing.

TRENDING THREADS