• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans's change of approach

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
They don't have many people to help Cadel in the mountains regardless of the team they send (They will all drop like flies sprayed with poison except Cadel when the pressure is on from other teams and they won't be able to set pace on the climbs) so they may as well boost their TTT stocks.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
They don't have many people to help Cadel in the mountains regardless of the team they send (They will all drop like flies sprayed with poison except Cadel when the pressure is on from other teams and they won't be able to set pace on the climbs) so they may as well boost their TTT stocks.

well they have tschopp,moinard,frank,morabito,hincapie,santamorita,santambrogio all of them can climb decently. but Im not sure if their good enough, probably not. cadel has been alone all of his career anyway:D.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:

I dont know how you look at things, but no team will be able to help their captain in the steepest mountains in this years edition of the Tour. So its not like BMC has a disadvantage compaired to the other teams in that regard.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
biopass said:
I dont know how you look at things, but no team will be able to help their captain in the steepest mountains in this years edition of the Tour. So its not like BMC has a disadvantage compaired to the other teams in that regard.

exactly Andy may have Frank or Frank may have Andy unless one of them crash then one of them will have ...... no one

Sami will have ..... Depends on who falls over here as well

Cadel will have Molly maybe and

Bertie will have the remote control and a big of Tissues

May 27, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
exactly Andy may have Frank or Frank may have Andy unless one of them crash then one of them will have ...... no one

Sami will have ..... Depends on who falls over here as well

Cadel will have Molly maybe and

Bertie will have the remote control and a big of Tissues

maybe basso will get a super team

May 27, 2010
Visit site
just some guy said:
Maybe ( he will have ) but Basso maybe dropped before it heats up they way he is riding so far this year.

but he might do nothing before and be in super form in the TDF like last years giro. but there is no way he will drop the others with his super diesel engine. The TDF climbs are not steep enough for him to drive the others of his wheel. He will never be able to follow the explosive attacks of alberto andy plus his average timetrialling

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Maybe ( he will have ) but Basso maybe dropped before it heats up they way he is riding so far this year.

I don't understand the basso theories.
He was doing no worse at this point last year, and yet he won the giro.

his biggest problem the tour is the course.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I don't understand the basso theories.
He was doing no worse at this point last year, and yet he won the giro.

his biggest problem the tour is the course.

Basso targeted the spring then Rest/recon then Tour so far he look 50 % of the rider who won the Giro last year and this spring was a target for him (his words).

I hope he goes well as the TDF needs another strong team or it will be messy with a half decent climber winning from a breakaway.

auscyclefan94 said:
It's obvious you hate Evans. Just blatant hatred. And you just post it to provoke people

I found this...

I guess Cadel fluked Romandie?:rolleyes:

Sounds to me like Sasquatch's version is alot closer to the truth than your original recollection. They do have a pretty limited squad, especially now with Ballan and the other guy (I'll avoid butchering his name) that have both recently been suspended from racing. You have to admit them winning any other races are pretty slim, although they could steal a stage here or there if they're lucky, but with the team completely dedicated to Evans in the Tour and the Vuelta that seems unlikely. That doesn't leave too many options.

greenedge said:
I wonder what will happen to his prospects now there is no Ballan. TP for the TTT now, DEFINITELY. It's good for Cadel as he never has to get his teammates to work so much for him in a GT as he has weak teammates. I think he can podium. Imagine what would be possible if he had a good mountain domestique, Syzmd, Navarro, Duarte etc.

With his luck and sensitivity he'd find a way to crash, get sick or muck up his chances. He'd likely drive his lieutenant to drink with his highly wound nervousness. I've concluded that Evans is what the Evans tifosi hate the most: the stereotypical highly sensitive, Spanish climber in an Aussie frame.
There used to be a belief that the pure climbers were a different breed from the rest of the peloton-higly strung, tempermental, with the just slightest mishap able to throw them off their game.:D

Note: This is partially said in jest but I couldn't help but notice the historical similarities.

Angliru said:
With his luck and sensitivity he'd find a way to crash, get sick or muck up his chances. He'd likely drive his lieutenant to drink with his highly wound nervousness. I've concluded that Evans is what the Evans tifosi hate the most: the stereotypical highly sensitive, Spanish climber in an Aussie frame.
There used to be a belief that the pure climbers were a different breed from the rest of the peloton-higly strung, tempermental, with the just slightest mishap able to throw them off their game.:D

Note: This is partially said in jest but I couldn't help but notice the historical similarities.

Actually the tifosi seem to like him as he lives in Italy, married an Italian and whenever he wins a race there or a stage, he seems to be a popular winner. Lots of people write off Evans. Same thing happened during the Romandie even though he was always well placed and a better time triallist than most of his opposition. The two riders suspended were not going to ride the TDF anyway. The pressure is off Evans because 99% of the fans give him little chance of winning the TDF which will suit him. Being out of the limelight can only help him

May 20, 2010
Visit site
next race

Archibald said:
was thinking the same after the Romandie win.

what's his next race?
I'm starting to get the feeling he may well have a good TdF this year, and who knows, Schlecklet may end up fart-ar$ing about with mechanical issues again if he isn't too busy dropping back for bidons, etc...

will miss him at the Giro though

(Probably) Dauphine (assuming no injuries illness...).

May 20, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Yeah i know they will work their hearts out for him. What i meant was unless he was leader his team will not have to go to the front. I think Ballan would have rode it. And yes BMC don't have a bad line up just no stark talent ( morabito previous astana rider in their 2009 TDF ultimate team, GVA and TP expected) Hincapie a road captain. I think Moinard has missed his chance, however BMC might turn him on the right path. Also the team in 2008 was ok for Evans: Horner, Brandt, Popo. They just had to divide attention for Robbie M

On Popo I disagree. He might have been an excellent talent, but he demonstrated no sign of that when he rode (using term advisedly) for Cadel. I am convinced he only rode well for Lance (or himself).

movingtarget said:
Actually the tifosi seem to like him as he lives in Italy, married an Italian and whenever he wins a race there or a stage, he seems to be a popular winner. Lots of people write off Evans. Same thing happened during the Romandie even though he was always well placed and a better time triallist than most of his opposition. The two riders suspended were not going to ride the TDF anyway. The pressure is off Evans because 99% of the fans give him little chance of winning the TDF which will suit him. Being out of the limelight can only help him

Tour de Romandie is not the Tour nor is it a grand tour. Evans while an elite performer in the sport of cycling has shown that over the course of a grand tour he will find some way not to win, be it by crashing, flatting, injurying himself, bonking, having a mental meltdown, or just crumbling under the pressure of expectation. His big heart is his major attribute and at the same time one of his primary obstacles. Add to that an intuitive ability to select the teams that will support him the least (He likes challenges?) and you have multiple reasons why Denis Menchov has 3 grand tour wins under his belt and Evans has zilch.

Maybe this year he will put it all together and win the Tour. If he can prevent Andy Schleck from winning I promise not to say a negative word about Evans for an entire year, that's how appreciative I would be.:D

JA.Tri said:
On Popo I disagree. He might have been an excellent talent, but he demonstrated no sign of that when he rode (using term advisedly) for Cadel. I am convinced he only rode well for Lance (or himself).

Evans isn't really known as a motivator of men. Popo just peaked early, it happens. Add to that the level of competition in the Giro picked up when the Pro Tour was created.

Edit: I've corrected the original post. It should have read as "isn't" not "is".

Angliru said:
Tour de Romandie is not the Tour nor is it a grand tour. Evans while an elite performer in the sport of cycling has shown that over the course of a grand tour he will find some way not to win, be it by crashing, flatting, injurying himself, bonking, having a mental meltdown, or just crumbling under the pressure of expectation. His big heart is his major attribute and at the same time one of his primary obstacles. Add to that an intuitive ability to select the teams that will support him the least (He likes challenges?) and you have multiple reasons why Denis Menchov has 3 grand tour wins under his belt and Evans has zilch.

Maybe this year he will put it all together and win the Tour. If he can prevent Andy Schleck from winning I promise not to say a negative word about Evans for an entire year, that's how appreciative I would be.:D

Don't forget that he lost both TDF's by less than a minute after three weeks of racing. To me that is a narrow margin, not a disaster. Menchov is a smart rider, even more conservative than Evans and relies a lot on his time trial. They are actually similar except for the results sheet. I think team selection cannot be always controlled by him. There are financial pressures and he does not have a crystal ball when it comes to riders being banned for doping. Even though lots of people will deny he has had some bad luck. Armstrong always said that he was incredibly lucky to ride seven TDF's for seven wins and not have one crash in any of them. That is unusual for even one of the best riders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts